BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a number of LT pics with a wide, expensive looking, thin aux light going across the forks, inside the fairing. What kid of light is that?

I ordered a set of H3 bulbed lights for under the mirrors, 3.24" wide and looking for mounting brackets (if anyone has a set they want to sell?), or I possibly could mount these under the fairing. Have to see what they look like when I get them. The H3 in the factory high beam works decently, so I thought two more can't hurt.

Thanks!

·
Registered
361 Posts
yechave said:
I've seen a number of LT pics with a wide, expensive looking, thin aux light going across the forks, inside the fairing. What kid of light is that?
Late model LT, high beam light Shirley? The previous models has a composite
dip / main headlamp. In 04 or 05 the design was changed to seperate housings.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes and yes. It appears that would be the high beam then. Those are the aux brackets I was looking for, to go under the cowling.

I am also looking for the brackets to mount the lights under the mirrors. I won't know which way I want to go until I get the lights in my hand, see what kind of beam they throw, and decide on keeping those or getting the round ones..

Thanks!

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm pretty sure I got my K1200LT under mirror mounts for my Hella FF50 driving lights from Cycle Gadgets but I can't seem to find them anywhere on their site.

The auxillary lights and mounts that are between my forks are available from Lumalink.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Love my little lights under the nose. You hardly know they are there untill you turn them on & they don't make the LT look like a 4X4.

·
Registered
29 Posts
quick question, i was thinking about fitting these lights too. The PIAA 1100X models as a local dealer has them in stock.

Firstly are these dipped beam or High beam? I would like them to run as my dipped beam.

Secondly, what do you have to do to install these?

Cheers
Shimmy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Shimmy
Not sure what "dipped Beams" are, I assume low beam. This is where I wired mine on my 06 LT. You will need to take the tupperware off to get to the wiring and it will be easier to mount the lights. I used the EZYmounts which mount to existing mount holes in the fairing. You will need to leave extra wire or make the detachable so you can perform service like gas tank and air filter removal. Fairly simple install and much improved lighting when done. I used the stock switch that came with the kit or you can get an autoswitch to run them through the turn signal cancel button....

Good Luck
Rich

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Wayne, these are probably the brackets you are looking for to mount them under the mirrors http://motogear4you.com/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&cat=17

You may also want to consider mounting them under the tip-over wings, at only 3.24" they should fit nicely. They are also easier to keep aimed out of the eyes of oncoming traffic. They also keep the beam lower to the ground to light up that section of road below standard headlight beam, I haven't been suprised by possums, skunks, deer etc. since I put mine in that location, nothing like smacking a possum at 50mph :eek: . The only problem with mounting them under the wings is you can't use J-Pegs.

Mine in this location and in combination with HID low beam really let me see and be seen.

·
Registered
29 Posts
cheers rdawg, yep i do mean low beam. Ive gone off the idea of these though, apparently they dont really light up much of the road.

·
Registered
370 Posts
front lights

Mine are mounted down on the forks. I am curious about the original question of a long thin light I have seen mounted under the main headlight, mounted between, across, the front forks.

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
05 and newer

have a split system. Low beam is the large light, and the thinner unit under the light, between the forks is the high beam portion of the lighting system.

hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thin high beam light..

Is that "high beam" light an add on? Can it be intergraded into my 2000 lighting system?

I think it would be real neat to install that light with the flashing light modulator. Anything that could help keep the impromptu merging of my LT and a random cage, and look good doing it, has a thumbs up from me.

Has anybody else mounted these lights?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts