BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used this setup?
would like to hear any feedback...
It looks like the way to go for Satt. radio.
I'm just not sure if the Serius uses a 1/8" plug as an output...:(

(Click for a larger image) Auxiliary input lets you play your iPod or other MP3 player through your BMW¹s sound system! If you¹re like a lot of BMW enthusiasts, you¹ve been looking for a way to use your MP3 player in your BMW, but haven¹t liked the hokey set-ups you¹ve seen so far. This OE adapter allows you to retrofit your sound system to accept your MP3 player. Simply plug one end into the back of your radio, run the cable (about 5ft of it) to your desired location and screw the input jack in place. Typical installation locations include in the glove box, under the dash or on the console.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Where does it plug into the back of the radio? This appears to be for a car radio and I'm not sure of the bike has the same radio. It would be great if it does!

·
IBR# 366
16,549 Posts
There was some discussion on the old site about this.

Look here.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Yes, I use it, it works fine. Only problem is that the volume is max on my Starmate and it doesn't match the volume from my ice>Link/iPod or the regular radio. So you have to adjust the volume before you switch or you will be blasted ;)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hello;

The Aux cable that you have in the photo will work with the single CD in the oddment box radios only - it will not work with the cassette player radios. To check push the CC/CD button on the radio control head and make one of the pushes of the button brings up "AUX" in the display, then you are good to go with the cable.

The "line out" volume levels are quite low on most satellite radios, so the volume available in the "AUX" postion is also quite low when using a Sat radio. The volume is OK with headset usage, but you may find it unacceptable with speakers only.

Steve

·
Registered
349 Posts
HammerStar said:
Hello;

The Aux cable that you have in the photo will work with the single CD in the oddment box radios only - it will not work with the cassette player radios. To check push the CC/CD button on the radio control head and make one of the pushes of the button brings up "AUX" in the display, then you are good to go with the cable.

The "line out" volume levels are quite low on most satellite radios, so the volume available in the "AUX" postion is also quite low when using a Sat radio. The volume is OK with headset usage, but you may find it unacceptable with speakers only.

Steve
Try this:

I found this neat little stereo amplifier that runs on 12V bike supplied power. It has 5 watts per channel, low and high impedance inputs and is very small 3.5" x 2.25". Cost is less than $30.00.
I used this amp to cure the low volume problem when using the BMW car cord for the Aux port. With the amp installed between the audio source (XM radio in my case)and the Aux cable, I was able to turn the volume of the XM radio down and then adjust the amplifier volume to match the volume level of the radio. Works great and you'll have the same volume level when you switch between FM, CD and AUX.
This little amp would work great for any device where you need to boost it's volume. Much, much more powerfull than a Boosteroo and you don't need batteries. On a bike without a factory radio you can turn the volume down on your MP3, Walkman, Ipod, etc. (making their batteries last longer) and have clean undistorted sound to your headsets.
It's make by Canakit:
www.canakit.com
Click on power amplifiers, model UK154. Make sure you order the assembled kit.

Bruce Hodges

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HammerStar said:
Hello;

Steve
:mad: well that leaves me out... my 02 has a cassette..
(thanks for that important info though)

What if I unplug the CD changer from the back of the radio?

Can I plug in the Auxiliary input there? Is the plug the same as an aux. ?
I could do without the cd changer if I had a neat input plug like that...
I'm thinkin satt. radio or MP3 player....
-john

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi again;

I'm not as familiar with the actual install of an "Aux Adapter" on the CD changer harness, but I'm sure others will jump in here. The CD changer can be removed and the harness plugged into an aftermarket adapter box that will allow 1 or sometimes 2 aux inputs. The last online marketer of this item that I recall was "Logjam Electronics" - search for an aux adapter for the CD changer on a BMW 3 series car it is the same as the bike. Brand names seem to be Blitzsafe, Soundgate, and P.I.E. also in most cases you loose the use of your factory CD changer with the adapter in place...........

Steve

·
Registered
818 Posts
There's an audio (input?) on my XACT Sirius radio...I was thinking about using it for the audio from my Garmin 276C or an Ipod.

Anyone have any idea? Meanwhile I'll have to break the "Man Code" and read the manual.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Buck,
Not real sure on Sirius, but I just posted a few posts regarding this on the XM Xpress by Audiovox.

It says that the input is for the MP3 Players, I would expect that since you would be going through a FM mod, you will be fine volume wise.

The first Post on this thread has the Aux input harness. I WANT IT!! I want it to have the female end as shown, then a male end on the other side. I could mount my Ipod on one handlebar reservoir, and then the XM on the otherside and plug it in. Would really help my mounting options. I guess....Radio Shack could be my answer to this...and I could go completely Retro.

>>>Man I wish I had a day off!!!! I would SOO enjoy working on this. haha.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Dumb question reference the BMW audio input cable.... Did I understand correctly that if I use this cable to connect my Sirius receiver to my stock radio I can operate the Sirius receiver from the handle bar controls (ie. change satelite channels)? I don't see how this is possible. Please let me know if I am wrong or right. If I can operate the receiver this way I would like to install the receiver in the saddle bag along side the cd changer. I don't want to remove the changer. Thanks again.
David

1 - 11 of 11 Posts