BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
HI ,Guys
today i was make sample of Sirius Antenna
and here is Video how you must install :)

don't forget , when is rain and bad weather, then is bad signal

regards,Oldtimers TEAM

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm going to start by saying this is not a knock against the Oldtimer's Navi lock ... they have been very responsive and helpful with the install and support of their product on my RT. That said, as has been pointed out in at least one other forum thread (2016 RT XM Antenna Replacement?), XM reception can be sketchy in some situations. I know I experienced drop outs from time to time and there were even a few locations where I consistently experienced those issues (no doubt related to my local surroundings and the orientation of my bike). I will say that these issues increased after installing the Oldtimer's Navi lock, even though it did have a shelf for you to relocate the satellite antenna. Anyway, the solution to all of this for me was to purchase a replacement antenna (can be found on eBay for $15-$30). After installing such an item on my RT, all satellite receptions problems that I've had in the past, completely disappeared. Even the spots on my daily commute where I regularly experienced momentary dropouts no longer exhibit that problem. I choose to install the antenna on my top box and run the cable up to the nose under the seat and side panels. I used a magnet to secure the antenna to the top box so that I can remove it easily if I want to remove the top box (although I can't say that I've ever had it off the bike since installing it three years ago). I was thinking about installing it above the plastic cover that hides the factory antenna but figured it would have a better, more consistent view of the sky mounted up high on the back of the bike. Just make sure to get a replacement antenna that has the proper (pink?) Fakra connector ... makes it pretty much plug and play.

Attachments

Reactions: LAF and mtrevelino

·
Registered
'18 R1200RT, '18 Abarth 124 Spider, '87 VFR 400R & an everyday sedan.
149 Posts
My XM reception is the same after the installation as before so it's a non issue for me. That isn't to say that I don't experience dead spots but I get those in my cars as well. That said that's an interesting solution. I assume you have a magnet under the plastic top box cover that is strong enough to keep the antenna in place? Has it caused scuffing of the paint? Where do you mount it when you remove the top box? Can you please give the brand of the antenna, or even better, a link? I'd be willing to give one a try. TIA.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Here you go:

XM satellite radio antenna with pink fakra, Magnetic, Delphi 999U9-VS000

It's got a rubberized base with some adhesive on it (haven't removed the adhesive cover). I've got a relatively strong puck magnet under the cover and it's wedged behind the seat cushion as well. I have not noticed it moving around or scratching my custom painted cover. I never ride the bike without the top box so mounting it somewhere when the top box isn't in place isn't an issue for me. It's just a matter of being able to remove the top box for maintenance should I want to or to bring it inside at an overnight stop that I was concerned with it not being permanently mounted. In those cases, I'd simply store it under the seat until the top box was back in place.

I guess I've been fortunate that my cars have never had any significant dropouts (at least nothing like the bike). I'm sure that's related to the relatively flat area I live in.

·
Cat Herder
1,516 Posts
Here you go:

XM satellite radio antenna with pink fakra, Magnetic, Delphi 999U9-VS000

It's got a rubberized base with some adhesive on it (haven't removed the adhesive cover). I've got a relatively strong puck magnet under the cover and it's wedged behind the seat cushion as well. I have not noticed it moving around or scratching my custom painted cover. I never ride the bike without the top box so mounting it somewhere when the top box isn't in place isn't an issue for me. It's just a matter of being able to remove the top box for maintenance should I want to or to bring it inside at an overnight stop that I was concerned with it not being permanently mounted. In those cases, I'd simply store it under the seat until the top box was back in place.

I guess I've been fortunate that my cars have never had any significant dropouts (at least nothing like the bike). I'm sure that's related to the relatively flat area I live in.

I ordered two of these to play with and see what happens.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys

I ordered and paid last 3/12 the Automatic Navigation Lock to the Oldtimers.si
after that I tried to contact but the emails are refused

know if there are any problems with them ?
I am trying to confirm the order and know when arrive, but I'm not getting contacts and I'm getting worried
As a new member on this site, I am unable to send a private message to Matjaz.

Best regards
António Sampaio Pinho
Lisbon Portugal

·
Registered
'18 R1200RT, '18 Abarth 124 Spider, '87 VFR 400R & an everyday sedan.
149 Posts
Antonio, I reached out to old-timers personally and heard from Matjaz last night. He informed me he is away from home until December 16 (16/12/19) and unable to login to this site. I expect you will receive a response from him upon his return. In the past when away from home his response time has been long. I hope this information is helpful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Antonio, I reached out to old-timers personally and heard from Matjaz last night. He informed me he is away from home until December 16 (16/12/19) and unable to login to this site. I expect you will receive a response from him upon his return. In the past when away from home his response time has been long. I hope this information is helpful.

Thank motorhead1977,
I already got contact with Oldtimers and i have the lock,
I already installed it in BMW and is top, fantastic solution for gps lock
Regards

·
Registered
1 Posts
The XM antenna on my 2013 K1600 GTL is just double sided taped to the console. Easy to relocate a bit I saw when changing out my console to allow Nav VI to fit.

Neil

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: Automatic Navigation Lock (XM Radio Linking Errors)

I realize this is an older thread but I've recently installed the Old Timers Nav Lock for my 2014 R1200RT. Everything installed perfectly and operates as expected. Only issue is that i now believe the XMradio after being moved and remounted onto the Nav Lock mechanism has effected reception to a point where i am getting an annoying increase in XM Radio linking conditions. Wonder if any one else has experienced this and has a solution. The only thing I can think of is to try and move the antenna a little to the right or left on the Old Timers mounting spot to see if that helps... this would be very trial and error... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks Ira

·
Registered
64 Posts
I also thought that the Sat radio was doing more linking then it use to after I installed my Oldtimers kit. I had the theory that the antenna needed a larger area of metal underneath it. I took a sheet of aluminum that I had and bolted it to the Oldtimers piece to increase the surface area. I believe that this helped but I am unsure since I have ridden my bike very little because of the corona virus.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I had the very same issue and decided to replace the antenna with a unit I mounted on my top box. You can find my post just a few back in this thread. Almost no linking messages since then. You may also be able to relocate the stock antenna but the stock cable (length) doesn't leave you many options.

·
Registered
64 Posts
kioolt, do you have a photo of this to share? thanks Ira
Unfortunately I don't. It's very simple, just place a piece of sheet metal on top of the round area where the antenna goes. I would say I used about a 6 inch square piece since it was what I had handy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok...i figured it out. I found a piece of galvanized steel securing strap at the local hardware store , cut it down , and then added a couple of 1" standoff spacers.... i have not taken it out for a ride yet, but the fact i was able to secure a signal in my garage maybe encouraging. I think another thing I was told that the XM antenna should be 100 level , in this application it is facing forward slightly not sure if that matters but i may try to use a set of shorter spacers on one side to level it out if this does not help. thanks to all, hopefully this leads to less linking.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
I used a bigger piece than you did and I also did not use spacers but instead I drilled two holes in my piece of scrap metal that matched the holes used for mounting the solenoid. I to was happy when I turned it on in my garage and got reception. I have only ridden the bike twice for a total of 50 miles since and I was very happy with the results. I just don't seem to enjoy riding when there is really nowhere worth going under today's conditions. I usually ride 10 to 15 k per year. This year so far between all of my bikes I probably have less than 100 miles total.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I took the RT out for a test drive and it seems the linking issue is either gone (meaning it linked as much as before the XM Radio antenna was relocated due to the Nav Lock install) or a whole lot better after raising on a separate piece of sheet metal. I may play more by seeing if i can raise it up more or make it more level, but think it makes a huge difference either way. thank you !

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great. I ordered one, my little notification seems have helped from fixing lots of linking to only a small amount of linking.....i can try and use this external antenna and attach it to my to-box with a little piece of industrial velcro , this way if i remove the top case i can just pull it off and find another spot to stick it. Will let you know how it works. thanks Ira

61 - 80 of 96 Posts