BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ordered the Nav lock system from Oldtimers.si? Ties in with stock automatic locking, and looks easy to install. Videos are on utube. If, so how is the quality and the ordering process?

Reactions: biker01red

·
Registered
166 Posts
Has anyone ordered the Nav lock system from Oldtimers.si? Ties in with stock automatic locking, and looks easy to install. Videos are on utube. If, so how is the quality and the ordering process?
I have, it was easy to order (an email and paid by PayPal if I remember correctly) and is a good quality product that has worked perfectly on both my 2015RT and now on my 2018RT.

Only really two negatives; it is expensive and will not stop a determined thief (who may damage your bike if they use force to defeat it).

But for me well worth the cost for the protection it provides in petrol stations and other short stops. Once installed it is so unobtrusive that you would think it was original BMW equipment, in fact I am surprised BMW did not make it part of the GPS preparation!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have, it was easy to order (an email and paid by PayPal if I remember correctly) and is a good quality product that has worked perfectly on both my 2015RT and now on my 2018RT.

Only really two negatives; it is expensive and will not stop a determined thief (who may damage your bike if they use force to defeat it).

But for me well worth the cost for the protection it provides in petrol stations and other short stops. Once installed it is so unobtrusive that you would think it was original BMW equipment, in fact I am surprised BMW did not make it part of the GPS preparation!!
Pretty much the same for me, the ordering was easy and the fitting was fairly simple. I had to slightly adjust the locking rod (it is mentioned in the instructions that you might have to do this). I think they have an updated model now which makes this unnecessary.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just ordered a 1250RT and took the Nav 6 with it.
I have found (on this forum) that theer was this solution to lock the GPS from Oldtimers, so I ordered one.
I contacted them by mail, and they gave me the instructions on how to proceed with the payment. I payed with Paypal, and I received the part 5 days later (I live in France, so the distance is shorter than to US).

I haven't installed it , since the bike hasn't been delivered yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Word of caution. I ordered, and received, the lock from Oldtimers. Something they failed to mention, or maybe I wasn't paying attention, is that the lock cannot be installed if you have a SiriusXM antenna installed. Or, if you do have the antenna installed in the standard position, it physically interferes with the nav lock and will have to be relocated. It is for this reason I have not yet installed the lock on my 2017 RT.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I tried to purchase this in the past but could not get a firm price from the vendor on shipping to the USA despite numerous emails with them. Their price list shows shipping for USA, Australia, China, Japan etc as a range of 10-90 Euros. What have others been charged for shipping to the USA? I'm very hesitant to order and perhaps have to pay almost the cost of the item as a shipping charge. Also, watching the embedded video at their website it is shown with a NAV V and not a NAV VI. Not sure if it makes any difference since the locking mechanism seems to be the same. Anyone have it installed with their NAV VI?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Word of caution. I ordered, and received, the lock from Oldtimers. Something they failed to mention, or maybe I wasn't paying attention, is that the lock cannot be installed if you have a SiriusXM antenna installed. Or, if you do have the antenna installed in the standard position, it physically interferes with the nav lock and will have to be relocated. It is for this reason I have not yet installed the lock on my 2017 RT.
Why would they mention it?
It's like any other accessory you buy, if you have something in the way of it, that is the purchasers responsibility.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I tried to purchase this in the past but could not get a firm price from the vendor on shipping to the USA despite numerous emails with them. Their price list shows shipping for USA, Australia, China, Japan etc as a range of 10-90 Euros. What have others been charged for shipping to the USA? I'm very hesitant to order and perhaps have to pay almost the cost of the item as a shipping charge. Also, watching the embedded video at their website it is shown with a NAV V and not a NAV VI. Not sure if it makes any difference since the locking mechanism seems to be the same. Anyone have it installed with their NAV VI?
I use it with the NAV VI. Not sure why you are having problems gettng a response, I only sent a couple of emails to them but they were replied to quickly.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thank you for pointing this out. I was getting ready to order one!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Why would they mention it?
It's like any other accessory you buy, if you have something in the way of it, that is the purchasers responsibility.
They should mention it for USA sales because the Sirius/XM antenna is on more bikes than not and because the antenna is not an aftermarket accessory.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2018 R1200RT with SiriusXM radio. I have not ordered the Old Timers Navi Lock yet but emailed them yesterday asking more specifically about the how and where to relocate the Sirius antenna. He responded today but only referred me to the instructions included with the unit and didn't provide any further details about the antenna relocation. I disassembled the dash panel on my cycle to have a first hand look and to me it doesn't look like there's much room to move the antenna. Has anybody installed a unit into an RT with Sirius antenna and if so, did the instructions provided with the unit tell you specifically what to do with the antenna? How is the antenna attached? Is it glued on? Any further information provided on this point would be appreciated.

·
Registered
105 Posts
DWLMRS, were you able to get a firm price on shipping to you in the USA? That been my hold up in ordering as the range of pricing as posted at their website for shipping it to the USA is 10-90 euros which is of course a huge range. Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, Navi Lock with Y cable + delivery to Wisconsin, USA - BMW Club discount = 145 euros if paid via Bank Transfer. If paid via PayPal it is 155 euros.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thank you!

·
Registered
64 Posts
dwlmrs

Please keep us informed about anything you find out about the Sirius antenna problem.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I mounted the Old Timer's lock on my 2018 RT with Sat Radio about a year ago. There are always many ways to solve a problem, mine has been working fine. This picture is of the first working version, not overly pretty but fully functional.

Sat_Radio_W-GPS_Lock-A.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Goose11, Thanks. From your photo it appears you mounted the antenna on the underside of the bracket is was originally mounted on. Is that correct? How was it attached? One more question. It appears that the multiple messages about accessing photos, etc. is being generated by me. Where did you pick up on all those messages? Sorry, but I just joined the forum yesterday and this is the first forum I have ever participated in. Needless to say, I'm stumbling around a bit trying to understand how this all works and what some of the terminology means. If you can tell me what I'm doing wrong I'd be grateful.

·
Registered
105 Posts
One benefit of relocating the Sirius antenna is the ability to be certain it is on a horizontal orientation. I'm told they perform best in that positioning. Guess I'll know more once my old-timers lock setup arrives and is installed.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Ref the Sirius antenna hookup. Does anyone know what type of connector is on the end of the cable that plugs into the unit on the bike ?

1 - 20 of 85 Posts