BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been to the Berlin factory, made inquiries there, mailed the technical department, but nobody was willing or able to give me the precise specs on the automatic shut off and it's workings. I noticed that on the highway it blinks 14 or 15 times before shut off, but once you use brakes, clutch of change velocity that changes and is what I am interested in.
Who knows??

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
vvk said:
I've been to the Berlin factory, made inquiries there, mailed the technical department, but nobody was willing or able to give me the precise specs on the automatic shut off and it's workings. I noticed that on the highway it blinks 14 or 15 times before shut off, but once you use brakes, clutch of change velocity that changes and is what I am interested in.
Who knows??
Vic you pretty much nailed it. At Hiway speed it's 13 blinks & under (I believe) 35 MPH it will stay on till you turn off

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
katnapinn said:
13 blinks & under (I believe) 35 MPH it will stay on till you turn off
Nope, even at prolonged 30MPH it switches off!
And how long exacltly before it shuts itself off when you've made a turn, or accelerating from a stop.
Also the break, speedo and clutch give signals for the auto shut-off.
How does it work?
I am looking for the precise specs.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,594 Posts
Vic, Vic, Vic. How long have you been around? LoL. Although not as popular as a oil thread, this has been discussed with no one answer. My LT averages 2/10 of a mile before the turn signals shut off. I do not think that the clutch or lean angle (turning) has anything to do with them shutting off. It is a shame that none of the Beemerheads at the factory could provide you with a answer.
Just my $.02.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
At speed its based on a timer, so you can switch lanes. At slower city traffic speed its based on distance so you can signal 1000 feet before your turn. They used to have the specs in the old K100 manuals. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
This is from the K100 Hynes manual for an 85 K100.

The relay has a self canceling circuit which is connected to the speedometer, so that the turn signals cancel automatically after a distance of 210 meters (689 feet) has been traversed or a period of 10 seconds above 31 mph has elapsed

My 07 Lt seems to work the same as my 85 K100 RT, so I figure that they just kept using what worked. :wave

·
Registered
215 Posts
2/10ths or not 2/10ths -- that is the question. I always take my beemer out for a ride when I'm 2/10ths....;)

·
Registered
577 Posts
haven't given it a whole lot of thought once I discovered that they shut off by themselves (as in automatic). IIRC the dealer told me that at speed the flashing continues for 22 seconds. while stopped they stay on for a certain amount of time after you start to move. He said an aggressive turn would activate a micro switch that would shut it off when bike returned to the vertical position

·
Registered
91 Posts
:rotf:
asleeplessknight said:
2/10ths or not 2/10ths -- that is the question. I always take my beemer out for a ride when I'm 2/10ths....;)
I love it!

Ya gotta do something about that lisp . :histerica

1 - 9 of 9 Posts