BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears, from the latest news in Britain, that Autocom, IMHO the best bike intercom company, has fallen victim to the recession. See http://forum.bmw-club.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=16026

If true, and it appears that it is, this is really sad news. Excellent product, big niche market, top customer service, and so on, seem not to have been enough top keep the creditors from the door. I guess one can hope that a buyer is found to pick it up and re-launch.

Maybe part of the problem is that the product is just too good in this day and age of rapid obsolescence? Autocom had managed to maintain expertise and a supply of parts for their older systems, as well as continually upgrade what was on offer for new buyers. Apart from a little wear and tear on leads, I've had hardly any trouble with two systems, over ten years, and a system on an R1100RT before that. My previous KLT (1999) was the first K1200LT Autocom fitted with an intercom, at their base in Warwickshire, England.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Burgundybus said:
Maybe part of the problem is that the product is just too good in this day and age of rapid obsolescence?
Just may be! My Autocom is still alive, and kicking strong ('01)!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I just spoke with Tony Starling at Starcom, they bought Autocom and will continue making the Autocom product . It will take about 2 weeks to get the inventory sorted out, and longer than that to get production going again. Just thought everyone would want to know. Kieth

·
Registered
221 Posts
Good to hear, as I'm in the market for a higher-end intercom this spring.

So which one is better? Starcom1 digital or Autocom's best?

And when will Tony phase out one of the brands? Autocom's demise seemed like a slam-dunk for Starcom. Now he will need to support two competing brands...

·
Registered
70 Posts
CohesiveTechnology said:
AKE is. I can prove it.
I realize that you are trying to build your business but constantly speaking trash about your competitors turns some people off.

Everytime a comm system is mentioned you are the first to say something bad about the manuf mentioned.

No disrepect intended

·
Registered
235 Posts
I put my vote in for Starcom, unit is smaller, very easy to set up and all for alot less $ than Autocom. Wife and I have used them for a couple of years with GMRS, GPS, Sat radio with no problems so far.
Larry
Note: we are using the Advance units not the digital unit.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Humm? Seems that my AutoCom has given up, will the new owner offer any repair facilities?

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
LostInAlaska said:
I realize that you are trying to build your business but constantly speaking trash about your competitors turns some people off.

Everytime a comm system is mentioned you are the first to say something bad about the manuf mentioned.

No disrepect intended
Plus 1

·
Registered
221 Posts
I am looking at the AKE products as well. They appear to be high quality units, on par with the other major European products. The promises made are very impressive.

With so many products and features presented, they really need to simplify their presentation. It would be really helpful to see a comparison summary chart of all features cross-tabbed by product and price.

I would also like to see an independent evaluation. The review at webbikeworld reads too much like it was written by one of the engineers at AKE. I can't quite put my finger on it, but the style and grammar reads too much like their brochures (and English as a second language).

Does anybody here have experience with their units they would like to share in a new thread?

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Kieth said:
I just spoke with Tony Starling at Starcom, they bought Autocom and will continue making the Autocom product . It will take about 2 weeks to get the inventory sorted out, and longer than that to get production going again. Just thought everyone would want to know. Kieth
That settles it for me, I guess. One channel of my Starcom Advance crapped out on the way to CCR last year; and I've been weighing buying another Starcom and reusing the headsets I already have installed in 4 helmets, or starting over with Autocom. Now analog or digital?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I am sorry to offend Alaska; that was not my intent. If I may; Autocom and Starcom are established companies with many fans here. I respect that. I hope to culture that same enthusiasm. I do not believe that Starcom and Autocom are bad products. I do believe that what I offer is much, much better. That is what I meant by "I can prove it".

Still, I am a biker first. If I have crossed anyone I appologise. I see it as competition, and I will gladly conduct a bake-off to test these products side-by-side.

With so many products and features presented, they really need to simplify their presentation
Your point is taken. Thank you. There are many options and it is confusing I know.

Beyond this I think I should move the discussion to my forum. I welcome your input. If you are in the market for anything that I carry, and you feel comfortable with allowing me to prove my technology, then I welcome the opportunity to earn your trust.

Lastly; I am one of you. I have ridden BMW's since the '70's. I support this forum.

Meaning that the only chance that I may have at any business lives and dies on my reputation here. I am very motivated.

Again, I mean no disrespect.

David Falkenstein.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts