BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where the sensor is for this? Mine seems to stay in "low beam mode" even on overcast days. My TFT screen still has the protective film on it and I am wondering if this is impacting it? (doubtful).

Thanks

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
109 Posts
I believe there is no automatic switch between low and high beam - only manual. At least I’ve never seen that and there is nothing about it in the manual. The TFT can automatically switch to dark mode when it detects low light

·
Registered
148 Posts
The sensor is on the TFT on the bottom left - just below the indicator for keyless ride. My bike (UK model) switches from DRL LEDs to dipped headlight automatically but that can be changed in the settings (but not when you are riding, meaning you cannot force the headlight on when riding if it is on automatic).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The sensor is on the TFT on the bottom left - just below the indicator for keyless ride. My bike (UK model) switches from DRL LEDs to dipped headlight automatically but that can be changed in the settings (but not when you are riding, meaning you cannot force the headlight on when riding if it is on automatic).
Yep, I have this enabled. just seems to need to be brighter to switch from low beam to driving leds than my 1250 GSA was :)

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
579 Posts
but lost the ability to switch from DRL to headlight while riding.
On my bike the DRL stays on even with headlight on. As I expected. The pre-'21 bikes' halo DRL also stay on, at least the few I observed Down Under. Road rules are different in the UK? I.e. DRLs must be off if headlights are on?

·
Registered
'22 1250 GSA next week. '17 RTW ready to trade.
252 Posts
Does anyone know where the sensor is for this? Mine seems to stay in "low beam mode" even on overcast days. My TFT screen still has the protective film on it and I am wondering if this is impacting it? (doubtful).

Thanks
Carda, where do you live? I'm going to guess USA?

In the US, headlights, not DRLs, must be on motorcycles at all times, so when the bike starts, the lights go on. There's no DRL sensor. There are sensors on GPS and TFT to dim the screens when it gets dark, which happens pretty instantly when you go in a tunnel or something. I don't really like that unless I'm riding at night. ...I think this is settable in one of the "settings"menus on TFT or GPS or both.

I would remove the protective tape, especially if your bike is parked out in the sun. That tape is meant to protect the screen from abrasion during shipping and handling, not permanently and definitely not in the hot sun. Yes, it could affect the light sensor, but it would make it think it was dark sooner...so would dim the screens sooner.

Sixty: Seems like a very strange UK law that requires 50% dimming of headlights during the day. What's the point?

·
Registered
'22 1250 GSA next week. '17 RTW ready to trade.
252 Posts
I believe there is no automatic switch between low and high beam - only manual. At least I’ve never seen that and there is nothing about it in the manual. The TFT can automatically switch to dark mode when it detects low light
He didn't say between low and high beam. He said between low beam and DRL, which, apparently, is 50% dimmer than low beam.

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT LE
66 Posts
Sixty: Seems like a very strange UK law that requires 50% dimming of headlights during the day. What's the point?
DRL's are on at 100% brightness during the day. When the headlight auto switches on at dusk the DRL's stay on but only at 50% brightness. When on, the headlight (both dipped and main beams) is always at 100%. This is the way it works across the EU. Bear in mind that the DRL's are are separate from the headlights, and the DRL's also function as parking lights, but again their brightness is reduced to 50%.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts