BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looks like we have our route from Austin to Duluth set in stone. We have hotels for every night & the longest day is under 500 miles (1st day)
Sammie & I along with Bo (Texas42) will take 6 days to get to CCR. :bike:

If anyone is going to be going the same way let me know & we will try to meet up. Even if it is just for a bite to eat.

Aug 23 Thursday Day One 467 miles Stop in Hot Springs Ar.

Aug 24 Friday Day Two 407 miles Stop out side of Saint Louis Mo.

Aug 25 Saturday Day three 443 miles Stop in Holland Mi.

Aug 26 Sunday Day Four 350 miles Stop in Sault Saint Marie Mi.

Aug27 Monday Day Five 327 miles Stop in Rossport On Canada.

Aug 28 TuesdayDay Six 304 miles Duluth Mn. :dance:

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
What days, at which places. Are you arriving Monday or Tuesday? We are going up north and staying in Mackinaw City. Sat and Sun looking for a good beach hotel. Then going along the southern side to Duluth Monday.

·
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
mwnahas said:
What days, at which places. Are you arriving Monday or Tuesday? We are going up north and staying in Mackinaw City. Sat and Sun looking for a good beach hotel. Then going along the southern side to Duluth Monday.
Sorry 'bout not putting dates & places but I fixed that. We will be in Holland Mi on Saturday night. Then ride to Sault Saint Marie on Sunday. we will be getting to Duluth on Tuesday afternoon.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
katnapinn said:
Sorry 'bout not putting dates & places but I fixed that. We will be in Holland Mi on Saturday night. Then ride to Sault Saint Marie on Sunday. we will be getting to Duluth on Tuesday afternoon.
Well maybe you can stop for a break and say hello Sunday. :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
Steve,

Looks like a nice leisurely run to CCR. We have not stayed in Rossport, but have stayed in Terrace Bay just east of there. Nice riding and good scenery. Watch for moose and black bear near the road between Wawa & Marathon.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Steve,

Make sure you pack warm clothes, L Superior is cold and daytime temperatures can drop into the mid 40's to 50's when running along the lakeshore. Last year we travelled hwy 61 to Duluth, 80 F inland and 47 F along the shore., just depends on which way the wind is blowing.

Good choice on the Rossport overnighter, a real north shore community, few tourists, tiny but lots of character, you can walk the whole town in 10 minutes.

we'll also be heading to Duluth Tues, if you want company you could stop by the house (we're just off the hwy) for a break and we'll join you on the way down.

Ron

·
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
itspossible said:
Steve,

Make sure you pack warm clothes, L Superior is cold and daytime temperatures can drop into the mid 40's to 50's when running along the lakeshore. Last year we travelled hwy 61 to Duluth, 80 F inland and 47 F along the shore., just depends on which way the wind is blowing.

Good choice on the Rossport overnighter, a real north shore community, few tourists, tiny but lots of character, you can walk the whole town in 10 minutes.

we'll also be heading to Duluth Tues, if you want company you could stop by the house (we're just off the hwy) for a break and we'll join you on the way down.

Ron
PM sent for info.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
katnapinn said:
Looks like we have our route from Austin to Duluth set in stone. We have hotels for every night & the longest day is under 500 miles (1st day)

If anyone is going to be going the same way let me know & we will try to meet up. Even if it is just for a bite to eat.

Aug 23 Thursday Day One 467 miles Stop in Hot Springs Ar.

Aug 24 Friday Day Two 407 miles Stop out side of Saint Louis Mo.

Aug 25 Saturday Day Three 433 miles Stop in Holland Mi.

Aug 26 Sunday Day Four 350 miles Stop in Sault Saint Marie Mi.

Aug27 Monday Day Five 327 miles Stop in Rossport On Canada.

Aug 28 TuesdayDay Six 304 miles Duluth Mn. :dance:

We'll be going through St Louis on Friday the 24th but probably in the early afternoon (I hope) as our first stop will be in Council Bluffs and then on to Sioux Falls for the weekend to see my dad. Will be in Duluth Monday by mid-afternoon.

·
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pkpr1998 said:
We'll be going through St Louis on Friday the 24th but probably in the early afternoon (I hope) as our first stop will be in Council Bluffs and then on to Sioux Falls for the weekend to see my dad. Will be in Duluth Monday by mid-afternoon.
We should also be there mid afternoon. Maybe we could meet for a late lunch or early dinner.

PM me your number & I'll contact you on Friday morning.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
katnapinn said:
We should also be there mid afternoon. Maybe we could meet for a late lunch or early dinner.

PM me your number & I'll contact you on Friday morning.

Done

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
You're passing within a mile or two of our cottage on Lake Michigan when you get on 196 just north of St Joseph, MI. You're welcome to stay there unless you have to get to Holland. That looks like a really long day from St. Louis.
PM me if you're at all interested.

Jer

·
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jers99lt said:
You're passing within a mile or two of our cottage on Lake Michigan when you get on 196 just north of St Joseph, MI. You're welcome to stay there unless you have to get to Holland. That looks like a really long day from St. Louis.
PM me if you're at all interested.

Jer
Thanks Jer but it is only 433 miles & we already have a room in Holland.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
katnapinn said:

Aug 25 Saturday Day Three 433 miles Stop in Holland Mi.
Steve,
I have a minor route change suggestion, maybe you can re-chisel your stone.
On Saturday traveling up 55, when you get past Bloomington IL look at
highway 55 east to 421 north.
That will put you back on 94 and let you dodge all of the insane traffic on 80 and 94.
A group of us used that route to Sedalia for the MOA rally last month and made excellent time. Miles of good open highway.
A bit longer but I guarantee you won't get stuck sitting in 6 lanes of truck traffic!
I am in Niles MI, we are leaving out Saturday morning, planning on overnight just short of the bridge.
Sunday touring Copper Harbor area. We may be in Duluth late Monday.

Jeff

·
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Six days & counting

Looks like our little Group is growing.
Sammie & myself with Bo (Texas42) will leave next Thursday for points North East.
On day three we will be joined by Don Smith & Howard Schisler for the last 3 days around the Great Lakes & into Canada where we will meet up with Ron & Katherine Vilim for the ride in from Thunder Bay On.

We'll see everyone else On Tuesday in Duluth. :bmw:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Would you mind if I joined your group at the soo riding the same route your group is north of
Superior. Hoping to be able to camp Sunday in the soo and Monday at rainbow falls. Watching the weather very closely . Are you riding the tunnel of trees? Definately want to catch that on Sunday. Than John

·
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
michiganrt said:
Would you mind if I joined your group at the soo riding the same route your group is north of
Superior. Hoping to be able to camp Sunday in the soo and Monday at rainbow falls. Watching the weather very closely . Are you riding the tunnel of trees? Definately want to catch that on Sunday. Than John
Come on & Join us. Time & weather permitting we will do The tunnel of trees. It is not on the basic route I have listed here but I do have it as an alternate route in my GPS. :cool:

Not sure What the "SOO" is but that's OK I'm sure you will tell me. :rolleyes:

I also see your going to the Rainbow Falls which is on the south side of Lake Superior. We are going into Canada at Sault Saint Marie & over the northern route of Lake Superior.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts