BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a '99 LT a few weeks ago with the 6-CD Changer removed and in a plastic bag along with its mounting hardware. I have had no success in getting the changer to work, nor of even getting any voltage at the connectors.

Under the drivers seat there are some obviously non-standard connectors which are a stereo plug, an insulated spade connector and another spade connector in an insulated rubber boot with a push on cap (see photo).

In the left hand passenger panel, just beneath the speaker, there is a three-way switch which turns the rear speakers on and off and also looks non-standard. The speakers are only on in one position.

When I took the rear seat off and removed this panel I found a whole load more after-market wiring which looks to have been done professionally. Behind the panel there is a small circuit board encased in a heat-shrunk coating and other wires tying into the main audio connectors (see other photos).

I have tried connecting an MP3 play to the stereo jack and fiddling with the switch and audio controls, but to no avail. All I can get is the radio and tape player.

I took off the left-hand tupperware to access the connectors under there, but they look bog standard.

Has any one come across this modification or can advise how I can either get my CD player back to life or get an MP3 player working? Perhaps the CD player is broken, but that wouldn't account for the lack of voltage at the plugs.

Thanks in advance

mbenn42

Attachments

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
I can't help with CD changer but the other bits are Autocom parts. The switch is three-position but only the two extreme positions do anything. One is the standard set-up and the other switches the amplifier output to the Autocom box and should turn the rear speakers off at the same time.

The block in the boot looks like the same system that I have on my Autocom for use with the GPS feed but as I didn't install most of the kit I don't know if other leads have them.

On my 04/05 model the CD changer is on a different fuse to the main audio system. If someone removed the changer without wanting to replace it with anything they may well have taken the fuse out.

Some Autocom systems have a battery and others, like mine, are powered by the bike. There are manuals on-line at Autocom that may well give you more info on what was once there. If the Autocom box is still in place you'll find one or two DIN sockets tucked away somewhere. The early ones are five-pin and the current ones are seven.

Hope this helps,
Keith

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Missing Autocom

Looks to me like the person who sold you the bike kept the Autocom. I agree the wiring looks like an Autocom installation and the small stereo phono plug is the music feed from bike's audio to the Autocom from the rear speaker wiring. The small shrink wrapped assembly looks like the impedance matching device used to match bike's speaker feed into the autocom. A standard approach to turning off the bike's speakers is to use the front to back fade control to turn off the front speakers and then the aftermarket switch to disable the rear speakers. That way bike's audio goes only to the Autocom.
If you pick up an Autocom you could plug an MP3 player into the autocom and get your music that way. Your music controls will be the MP3 player, not bike's audio system.
Do you have a cassette deck in the bike's radio? Lots of us use a cassette adaptor to feed MP3 audio into the bike's audio. Then the bike's volume controls will work.
The sidecase CD changer probably does work but considering the hassle of re-installing it, the possible skipping problem that some of them have, and the space it takes up in the sidecase, you might choose to leave it out. HTH

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You've solved it!

Yep, you were both right, the cables, plugs, etc are from an Autocom. I have been in contact with one of the UK Autocom dealers and he has decribed the exact wiring on the LT that I have, all I am missing is the Autocom unit, microphones, cabling, and headsets.

Well, as my low-budget intercom has been playing up lately a brand spanky new Autcom unit should be in the post right now on its way to me. With a bit of luck it will fit straight in and interface with the existing modified wiring.

Thanks for all the help!

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts