BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed a DUAL brand marine grade am/fm/cd/mp3/weather unit with a wired remote control.
I used custom hand bent .063 2024T3 aluminum mounting systems for both units. I also used shrink wrap on all wire bundles, and soldered the connections.

The wired remote is mounted up top, with a factory side entry port for my ipod.
I used an old radio housing, removed all six of the button assemblies, and used treated screws and locknuts to secure. It has six coats of flat black enamel applied.
Since I no longer needed my cassette player...lol.... I removed it and built an aluminum wall 2.75 inches from the back wall. I installed a 12v power port, for my phone or ipod, and also a low lumination red LED light to be powered anytime the key switch is on. This provides just enough light to navigate inside the drawer during night driving. Carpeted for non skid properties.
The head unit is mounted in the right saddlebag, with 1" foam cushion on top and bottom, and 2" on each side.

It has taken about 2 weeks, on and off to complete. I had to build all new wiring harnesses from the stingray to the saddlebag, and from the top box to the saddlebag. Nothing too hard, just time consuming. All of the additional factory volume and mute functions no longer work. I have ideas for those buttons, but that will be seen later!

The sound is incredible. BMW installed high quality factory speakers on this bike, but a terrible radio/amp. The Dual has 50Wx4, and is completely audible at 50 mph. The only thing I will miss is the speed controlled volume. Oh well, can't have it all.....

Lastly, the red button. I soldered jumper wires from my garage door opener (Thanks for the idea Deputy5211!), and ordered a new BMW logo button to epoxy on top of the button for looks! The remote itself fit nicely BEHIND the shelf, protected from water, and out of sight!

Thanks to everyone who posted in the past regarding radio problems, fixes, and technical info. It helped tremendously.

If you ever choose to undergo a project like this, and you want my help, feel free to let me know. I will help any way I can! This has been fun, educational, and rewarding!

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It's only a radio w/o CD or WX , and this is also waterproof, hence the description of "Marine Grade".
Big plus- I also got multiple uses out of my oddments compartment.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Man, is that a pretty install. The carpet looks familiar, too. Could that size 16 footprint on it be mine? What are the odds?!

Joking aside, sweet mod. Only bad news is that it will definitely NOT qualify for "Ghetto Mod" status.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
deputy5211 said:
Man, is that a pretty install. The carpet looks familiar, too. Could that size 16 footprint on it be mine? What are the odds?!

Joking aside, sweet mod. Only bad news is that it will definitely NOT qualify for "Ghetto Mod" status.
Walmart has a super sweet aviation aisle......

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looks awesome! I guess I need to make another trip to TX for a radio upgrade session! So the ipod hooks up to the stereo in the case, and no more CD player at all...? Couldn't find a marine unit with a CD player or what made ya go that route? You use a wiring diagram to tag into the speaker lines? Congrads, let us know how it works on test flights.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mcydrake said:
Looks awesome! I guess I need to make another trip to TX for a radio upgrade session! So the ipod hooks up to the stereo in the case, and no more CD player at all...? Couldn't find a marine unit with a CD player or what made ya go that route? You use a wiring diagram to tag into the speaker lines? Congrads, let us know how it works on test flights.
The CD player is in the saddlebag, and I hook up my ipod while it is charging to the UPPER unit, in the oddments case. I used the wiring diagram from Clymers for speaker wire color, and on which wires to eliminate due to the intercom and driver/pass controls.
Anytime you come through Texas, look us up! Glad you made it home safe!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Top notch job! You did it right! Want to design a back massager in your backrest next? Or a gun rack? Or a flux capacitor? Any time you want to visit CA, I have a second bike for ya to borrow ;-). I'm 3.5 from Vegas, 3 hours from Death Valley, an hour away from the PCH running up the Cali coast. Lots of great riding out here.

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
That's great work. Congratulations on a very nice mod. :thumb:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Fellas!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
deputy5211 said:
Only bad news is that it will definitely NOT qualify for "Ghetto Mod" status.
Oh, that counts as ghetto.... The white controller clearly does NOT match the dashboard. :D

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hallzee said:
Oh, that counts as ghetto.... The white controller clearly does NOT match the dashboard. :D
YES! :dance:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And it lights up BLUE, dash lights are RED... Ordered new BLUE led dash lights from www.superbrightleds.com so at least THAT will match. Hopefully that will help redeem me with the ghetto gods...

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Voyager said:
True, but a white dashboard will not only be ugly, but will reflect terribly in the windshield!
:rotf:
.....More coffee projected at just the thought of that.... :v:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts