BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a couple threads of folks attaching the rear view mirrors with magnets from Lowes. Anyone have pictures of how this was done and maybe some specs on the magnets used? I'm not having luck finding details.

The front clip plastic is broke on my mirrors and I have tried using epoxy to fix it without luck. Would like to find a better way to do and really like the magnet idea. I do have tethers on the mirrors. Went with 30# fishing leaders.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I have read a couple threads of folks attaching the rear view mirrors with magnets from Lowes. Anyone have pictures of how this was done and maybe some specs on the magnets used? I'm not having luck finding details.

The front clip plastic is broke on my mirrors and I have tried using epoxy to fix it without luck. Would like to find a better way to do and really like the magnet idea. I do have tethers on the mirrors. Went with 30# fishing leaders.
Rich, I too tried the epoxy route. No workee. I ended sewing it up with fine stainless steel wire, works great.

Robert

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
My broken tabs are held with zip ties. Has worked well for six years or so. Sadly, I look at the inside of my 1150RT mirrors and think how sturdy they are and how well they function. If only they would fit on the LT.......

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have used those magnets before and they are super strong. I may have to give this a try myself.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check this thread for mirror magnets, although on a different model bike.
Thanks Dick. This is the type of info I am looking for. Know others have done it for the LT. Was hoping to find similar pictures and documentation for them so I wouldn't need to trial and error it.

Wow - those magnets used in that project have 31# of pull. That is over 90# of pull on that mirror with all three studs replaced. Can't imagine there is any issue with that coming off on accident.

The toughest part on the LT would be attaching the steel washer or magnet to the mirror in place of the goofy paperclip. Assuming we would need to back that area with something solid.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I just bridge the gap between the fairing and mirror with a long strip of 1" black electric tape. It really doesn't show. Could be hard on pedestrians th:waveough...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just bridge the gap between the fairing and mirror with a long strip of 1" black electric tape. It really doesn't show. Could be hard on pedestrians th:waveough...
I'm missing how this relates to attaching the mirrors with magnets. :confused:

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm missing how this relates to attaching the mirrors with magnets. :confused:
It is just another positive way to retain the mirrors. I did have to epoxy & reinforce one of the snap-on retainers, and I have installed fishing leader retainers, but the idea of having them come off at speed probably means there would be a lot of minor dents to fix. Hence the tape kludge.

I hadn't considered high strength magnets, but I have been saving them from old dead computer hard drives as a matter of principle. They are plenty strong.

Now I've found a use!

THX

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hadn't considered high strength magnets, but I have been saving them from old dead computer hard drives as a matter of principle. They are plenty strong.
Good luck trying to drill a hole in those hard drive magnets. I tried that and the magnets just cracked.

I am interested to hear about the type from Lowes that some folks used. If I have to, I'll order the ones pointed to in Dick's post. I didn't check on shipping, but $4/each isn't bad.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Good luck trying to drill a hole in those hard drive magnets. I tried that and the magnets just cracked.
The ones I've encountered have all had an attached steel (iron) plate that would drill normally. The hard drive pole arrangements I've encountered all require a healthy screwdriver pry to get separated. They actually just might hold too well in our mirror case though.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The ones I've encountered have all had an attached steel (iron) plate that would drill normally. The hard drive pole arrangements I've encountered all require a healthy screwdriver pry to get separated. They actually just might hold too well in our mirror case though.
Those are some super strong magnets. You may be right about having too much pulling power.

I found some 30# pull magnets with the hole drilled in them on Amazon. Think I will give them a try and see what I can come up with.

Reactions: stevea2980

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,138 Posts
I'll see if I can find the photos but several LT owners in the early days had used 1/4 - 20 plastic bolts and drilled a hole in the mirror and threaded the faring hole. These are commonly used to hold wings on model airplanes and are readily available at hobby shops. They will break away on impact but will keep the mirrors on during rough road riding.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll see if I can find the photos but several LT owners in the early days had used 1/4 - 20 plastic bolts and drilled a hole in the mirror and threaded the faring hole. These are commonly used to hold wings on model airplanes and are readily available at hobby shops. They will break away on impact but will keep the mirrors on during rough road riding.
I did see your posts about the plastic screws as well. I like the magnet idea that if it breaks away, it can just be put back on. With the plastic screws a person would have to carry extras (not a big deal), dig out the old piece from the threaded hole, and then install the new one. I just thought the magnets would be easier once they were setup.

·
Registered
22 Posts
HDD_magnets.jpg

One can use HDD magnets. They are very strong and inexpensive , found in old or defective hard disk drives units. Already attached on a metal plate with holes.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
View attachment 73290

One can use HDD magnets. They are very strong and inexpensive , found in old or defective hard disk drives units. Already attached on a metal plate with holes.
I've taken apart many hard drives. I'm looking for a nicer install like the one that Dick linked to. Hard drive magnets are VERY strong. I can't imagine trying to remove the mirror with them. Maybe if you only used two and the steel surface area they are holding to isn't too large it may be possible.

Ordered up some on Amazon and may play with it this weekend. Have a feeling I'll be pulling off some tuperware to get to my TPS.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Wow, this is a great idea. I'm only a few more take offs and put ons from having to do something else. I have mine zip tied to get some additional strength out of the plastic receivers. I thought about buying the Chinese knockoff mirrors but this is way more cost effective.

If you wind up doing this post up some pics and suggestions for mounting the magnets.. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts