BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to print and laminate a sign to be temporarily put on the back of the top case for the trip to CCR. Any issues with taping this to the BMW paint? Any recommendations on what kind of tape will come off a few days later and not damage the paint?

Thanks.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I would just punch holes in the corners of the sign and use some kind of non-marring tether to attach it (bungie, shoe laces, drapery cord...whatever).

Some attachment points that come to mind: the top-box rack if you have one and some adhesive mounted hooks inside the top-box.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Tape non-marring

I have used 3M Blue painters masking tape on my bikes for temporary signs, does not harm the paint. Available at your home supply stores, like Lowe's and Home Depot.

Mirage

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Vinyl tape works best. Painters tape can be real hard to remove after a couple of days in the sun

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
hschisler said:
Any recommendations on what kind of tape will come off a few days later and not damage the paint?
  • Gaff tape
  • Gaffer's tape
  • Tape de la Gaff
  • The tape that gaffers use
  • Umm . . . oh yea! How 'bout Gaff tape?!
It's the only thing that I'll stick to my BMW.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
messenger13 said:
  • Gaff tape
  • Gaffer's tape
  • Tape de la Gaff
  • The tape that gaffers use
  • Umm . . . oh yea! How 'bout Gaff tape?!
It's the only thing that I'll stick to my BMW.
... is that the same as 'duck' (duct?) tape - I call it gaffer tape, but my ride buddies call it duck/duct tape - well sticky, but leaves no residue, even after a couple of weeks, - great under tank bags etc.

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Woolly said:
... is that the same as 'duck' (duct?) tape - I call it gaffer tape, but my ride buddies call it duck/duct tape - well sticky, but leaves no residue, even after a couple of weeks, - great under tank bags etc.
I never thought duct tape would be "approved for use" on paint, but what the heck. Awaiting anxiously a response to your question. I have duct tape and painter's tape on hand. Anything else I'll have to go get. Not leaving until Sunday so plenty of time.

Vinyl tape: never heard of it. Any brand names?

I don't have a top rack, so that's not an option for me. Maybe I'll duct tape the sign to the back of my jacket.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
You kidding?? Duct (Duck brand) grey tape?? Stuff used to permenantly attache HVAC duct work? Similar to, but not quite as strong as that impenetrable super stickum called "100 mile an hour" tape by our Buds in Dod employ??

Man - as many times as I've used that junk for hold'n wires and cables down I *know* the ugly, sticky mess it can leave behind. Special if it's been heated (sun) or gotten wet. I wouldn't let that stuff near ANYTHING I ever wanted clean again. I even throw away CAT5 cables that have that junk on 'em. Cheaper to buy new than spend billable time trying to deal with the mess.

Whatever tape you use. I'd make durn sure I had a good coat of quality wax down first. That way if it does get goopy, you've a chance of cleaning it up without make'n a problem.

Personally I'd use the Blue painters tape - but change it out daily. Stuff's cheap.

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Zotter said:
You kidding?? Duct (Duck brand) grey tape?? Stuff used to permenantly attache HVAC duct work? Similar to, but not quite as strong as that impenetrable super stickum called "100 mile an hour" tape by our Buds in Dod employ??

Personally I'd use the Blue painters tape - but change it out daily. Stuff's cheap.
Duct tape sounded way wrong to me, too, but apparently it's what someone else uses. I'll stay away from it -- thanks.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
3M makes vinyl tape in all sizes and colors. But, If you have the blue painters tape on hand I would use it. Just check it after 3 days and replace when it starts resisting the urge to pull up from the paint. Its actually pretty good tape, almost as good as the green painters tape which gets pretty costly.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Gaff Tape Is Not Duct Tape!!!

Gaff tape (recommended in an earlier post) is definately NOT the same as duct tape. We use tons of Gaff tape at our church as it has super holding ability, but does not leave adhesive behind when pulled off. I do not know if it would be OK on BMW paint, but would suspect so. You could "google" gaff tape and find it. But never would I put normal duct tape on my paint. FWIW :D

·
Registered
368 Posts
hschisler said:
I'm going to print and laminate a sign to be temporarily put on the back of the top case for the trip to CCR. Any issues with taping this to the BMW paint? Any recommendations on what kind of tape will come off a few days later and not damage the paint?

Thanks.
May I ask a stupid question? What does the sign say "CCR or Bust"??

P.S. I don't think that the blue painters tape will stick well enough to survive the trip. YMMV

·
Registered
860 Posts
grifscoots said:
16 penny framing nails shot from a Senco framing gun at 120 psi? No goopy mess there.
Geez Grif;

He wanted to stick it on the back trunk, not have it anchored to the passenger's back rest... :rotf:

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
cccpastorjack said:
I do not know if it would be OK on BMW paint, but would suspect so. You could "google" gaff tape and find it. But never would I put normal duct tape on my paint. FWIW :D
I have used Gaff tape on my LT over and over and over again, and it has never been a problem. That's the beauty of it. And on my CCR trip on the GT, I plan on using it on the grab handles, to protect them against scratches where I am using Bungees for my seatbag.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Sorry guys +1 gaff tape

Gaff Tape (also Gaffer’s Tape):
This special grade of duct tape (often colored black) was developed by the entertainment industry to hold lighting equipment and cables in place and has a dull finish so that it won’t reflect lights.
Can be used outdoors, tolerates UV rays. Gaff Tape also has a specially formulated, less tacky adhesive that won’t leave a residue when it is removed.

When I pull my trailer
I use black gaff tape on my Avalance mirrors to ptotect them before mounting the $50 (cheapass but work great) slip on mirror extensions.

Dave

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
kaygee said:
May I ask a stupid question? What does the sign say "CCR or Bust"??

P.S. I don't think that the blue painters tape will stick well enough to survive the trip. YMMV
Nope, it's a good question. The sign says "CCR" (first line), and "FRS ch 2" (second line). The thinking is, anyone who passes me on the way to CCR will know how to call me up (assuming I get the radio working by then). If they're not going to CCR and have an FRS radio then we can chat, too. Might be fun -- break the monotony, you know.

You could argue that anyone going to CCR already knows what channel to use. This will be a friendly reminder.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll give the painter's tape a try. I have some of that around here somewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Mind if I copy your idea?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts