BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,

Going to make this ride in a few weeks and want to know if anyone has any suggested routes, specific towns to visit, or roads to see along the way. I've done this trip dozens of times but always in a car and straight down 75. Would like to do this off slab but still need to make the ride as a day trip of ~500 miles. Going down on a Thursday and back up on a Sunday.

Also, this would be my longest single day ride to date. I've done a few 300 mile rides in the mountains that had me in that saddle 9+ hours. Should I have any concerns or do have any suggestions for a first ride of this distance.

Thanks,
T

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Travman said:
Hey Gang,

Going to make this ride in a few weeks and want to know if anyone has any suggested routes, specific towns to visit, or roads to see along the way. I've done this trip dozens of times but always in a car and straight down 75. Would like to do this off slab but still need to make the ride as a day trip of ~500 miles. Going down on a Thursday and back up on a Sunday.

Also, this would be my longest single day ride to date. I've done a few 300 mile rides in the mountains that had me in that saddle 9+ hours. Should I have any concerns or do have any suggestions for a first ride of this distance.

Thanks,
T
One, among many you'll prolly receive - - - start hydrating on Monday and continue 'til you get back home. Consider using a Camelbak or similar hydrating bladder while on the move - sporting goods stores are good places to shop for this item. Have a safe ride and enjoy the roundtrip. :)

·
Registered
832 Posts
This sounds similar to the problem we face here in the Midwest. That is, making up an interesting route in a region where the scenery is less than ideal for fun motorcycling. Here in Illinois, a good solution is to try and explore roads that parallel or are made more interesting by being near rivers.

To me, the area between Atlanta and Orlando falls into a similar category, no offense to the folks from Georgia or Florida. I love the Georgia mountains in the northern part of the state and have worked the Tour de Georgia bike race six times. Beautiful state. I also love riding the Florida coasts, central lakes area, and the Everglades. But, the region of which you speak offers less in the way of grand scenery.

I would research some of the towns in between for historical significance etc. Then find a highway that you can connect your dots and still make reasonable time as you travel.
Have fun!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, for the advice. As to the hydration pak, I do have one of those but my preference is a water bottle that I keep in a ball mount cub holder between the handle bars. Easy to take a quick sip at light (I wear a flip up helmet).

As to route, so far I have two off slab routes mapped, one to the East of 75 on Rt 129/125 to 441 for the most part and one to the West on Rt 19. I'll slab the first 50 miles or so just to get out of Atlanta proper. Central/South GA can be a bit uninspiring. Suggestions welcome.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,977 Posts
I have a compass on my LT and if I have the time I just follow the direction I need to go all day on the back roads. I also have paper maps plus two GPS systems with me. Don't worry about the distance just stop when ever you want. :bike:

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I can't count how many times I've made that north south trip,
441/129 or 19 are all decent routes
speed limits are a little slower than the interstate
but at least you get to see something and enjoy the ride,

if you do run the back roads of Georgia and N Florida
you'll find a local "constable" sitting in the shade in his car with a radar gun at each and every city limit sign,
it's all they've got to do and the only way they can make any money,
the locals will cruise right on by at 10 over,
and he'll probably wave at Billybob, but he'll write you.

In between the towns the GA state patrol is doing about the same except they're usually moving
like Bubba given the chance he'll take your money.

So if you can keep it between 5 or 10 over it's my preferred route,
if you can't believe me when I tell you they will catch you.

You'll find plenty of food and gas, pine trees and lots of green pasture,
turn on some good tunes, set the cruise control and enjoy the ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts