BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes it takes an "incident" to remind us of how quickly things can, and sometimes do, go "bad".

I recently had my reminder... and that is why I am a fervent believer in ALL THE GEAR, ALL THE TIME

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Glad you came through that one with nothing more than a few bumps and bruises. I have been ATGATT since I started riding in '06. I see all ages riding with no protective gear, in some states no helmet. I don't get it, but I guess it ain't for me to get! It doesn't look "cool" to ride in all the gear. It definitely isn't cool at 95 degrees, but I can sweat a lot easier than I can bleed.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Hey Lawrence glad to hear you are okay. When I worked for the KHP I saw what happens to the flesh when pavement grinds away at it...that's why I wear my gear and make my wife wear hers.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Glad to hear that you are relatively uninjured.

My father always thought me that rain after a number of days of dry weather was dangerous. He believed that the rain would loosen the oil and other muck from the road. I guess he was right.

I have believed in safety kit after seeing a TV programme called "Sorry Mate I did not see you!" It described the effects of asphalt on the human body. "Just like placing a power sander on the joints and wearing the joint away." That convinced me to wear a minimum of Jacket, gloves & boots (helmets are law in Europe!) Since coming to Belgium I have added trousers to the list. it does not matter, if the trip is round the corner or a 1000 miles, I wear the kit and so do the kids if the want to ride with me.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Morning Lawrence, glad to hear no serious problems from the spill, and glad for the reminder. Also enjoyed looking at your blog, including the recent CO trip. Having never traveled anywhere yet on my RT, I'm looking forward to heading to AZ this Sept., via Neb., CO, and UT. I'm inspired. :)

John

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
So,

Do you get to keep the Triumph now ?

John

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Glad to hear both you and your loaner sustained only minor damage. thanks for the reminder. Have any Idea where to get a copy of that poster in your blog? I'd like to hang one in my garage. :bmw:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Lawrence_D said:
Sometimes it takes an "incident" to remind us of how quickly things can, and sometimes do, go "bad".

I recently had my reminder... and that is why I am a fervent believer in ALL THE GEAR, ALL THE TIME
Good to hear you're getting your money's worth out of your gear. I've participated before in threads of same topic, and it should be in same category as conservatism and liberalism- one's either for one or the other, and they believe their position is best. Therefor, I'll provide one response and one response only to ATGATT in this thread. I am one who doesn't practice ATGATT, but I also do not run out into the streets on my bike shortly after a rain. If I have to concentrate that much on the road condition of every block I travel, then where's the enjoyment in that? If I have to go somewhere that badly, that's what my cage is for. I'm also inclined to think I wouldn't chance it under such circumstances on any motorcycle that wasn't mind. If for no other reason, I wouldn't want to have to wash it after I returned. That's two cases in point for myself being a go or no go. Let me clarify, this particular viewpoint of mine is for ATGATT, as it's defined. As they say, you mileage may vary.

I do like your blog. Thanks for making us aware of it. :wave

·
Registered
613 Posts
I once had a "Harley" rider in a tank top and shorts tell me that he didn't understand how I could wear all the gear in 90+ degrees. I told him that with mesh gear while in motion I probably wasn't has hot as he was. It's like comparing being in a shade in a breeze or being in the open sun in a breeze. I must admit that when stopped the gear is probably hotter.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BennyBob said:
Glad to hear both you and your loaner sustained only minor damage. thanks for the reminder. Have any Idea where to get a copy of that poster in your blog? I'd like to hang one in my garage. :bmw:
Thanks! Unfortunately, I don't. I pulled it off the web. Search with the text and see when it pops up if there is some info attached to it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bikerj said:
Good to hear you're getting your money's worth out of your gear. I've participated before in threads of same topic, and it should be in same category as conservatism and liberalism- one's either for one or the other, and they believe their position is best. Therefor, I'll provide one response and one response only to ATGATT in this thread. I am one who doesn't practice ATGATT, but I also do not run out into the streets on my bike shortly after a rain. If I have to concentrate that much on the road condition of every block I travel, then where's the enjoyment in that? If I have to go somewhere that badly, that's what my cage is for. I'm also inclined to think I wouldn't chance it under such circumstances on any motorcycle that wasn't mind. If for no other reason, I wouldn't want to have to wash it after I returned. That's two cases in point for myself being a go or no go. Let me clarify, this particular viewpoint of mine is for ATGATT, as it's defined. As they say, you mileage may vary.

I do like your blog. Thanks for making us aware of it. :wave
Thanks for the reply Jeff and the your comments on my blog. It's been fun doing it.
Regarding your point of view, I totally respect your choice. For clarification, it started raining while I was already riding, but having said that I'd say that more than 50% of the trips I've taken over the years, and I go on about 3-4 multi-day trips per year, I get rained on or, as in the case of my most recent Colorado trip, snowed on! So, for me, it's not about choosing whether I ride in inclement weather or not... that just happens. It does require additional care and you have to be smart about it, but for me, that's another part of the enjoyment of the total trip experience.

Take care and safe riding!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JPSpen said:
So,

Do you get to keep the Triumph now ?

John
John,
No, but for 9K I'm sure they would let me have it! :). I am actually thinking of either that bike, the 1050 Tiger (no out of production) or the 800 GS. The trickiest thing might be getting the dealer to agree to a test drive! :). That's a few years down the road though.

Take care!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lee510 said:
Glad you came through that one with nothing more than a few bumps and bruises. I have been ATGATT since I started riding in '06. I see all ages riding with no protective gear, in some states no helmet. I don't get it, but I guess it ain't for me to get! It doesn't look "cool" to ride in all the gear. It definitely isn't cool at 95 degrees, but I can sweat a lot easier than I can bleed.
Thanks Lee

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Trojan said:
Morning Lawrence, glad to hear no serious problems from the spill, and glad for the reminder. Also enjoyed looking at your blog, including the recent CO trip. Having never traveled anywhere yet on my RT, I'm looking forward to heading to AZ this Sept., via Neb., CO, and UT. I'm inspired. :)

John
Thanks John, Glad you like the blog. It's been fun to do.

Take care,

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wrmoss said:
Hey Lawrence glad to hear you are okay. When I worked for the KHP I saw what happens to the flesh when pavement grinds away at it...that's why I wear my gear and make my wife wear hers.
Thanks Wade!

Lawrence

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Not to highjack this thread, but I read the portion of your blog about your CO trip; very interesting and nice pics. I'm planning to ride out towards CO in September, and I'll quite possibly be doing the same route through Kansas being my folks live in Abilene. Thanks for the warnings you mentioned. I'll be sure to skip the prairie dog and while I might not be ATGATT, I will have some nose plugs for the feedlots. :rotf: Of course, if there's possibility of snow, I'll take all relevant gear in case my wife and I decide to go for it, as you did. I'm thinking of doing a couple of the routes West of Loveland before going into Utah w/ the possibility of an alternate Southern CO route as backup. :cboy:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hi Lawrence,
I'm so glad you are ok.
Thanks for the reminder.
I have been riding for a lot miles but I like to be reminded that anything can happen. Keeps me humble. Keeps me focused.
ATGATT for me!
Take care...:bmw:
Ellie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts