BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Enthusiast - KI6CDF
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on installing a set of Ohlins on my 2003 lt. I have obtained the install instructions available on this site, which is extremely helpful.

One of the instructions includes securing the center stand with a ratcheting web tie down. This safety instruction is a great suggestion. However, call me thick, but where does one attach the tie-down to secure the center stand (yes, I understand one end is the centerstand:rolleyes:)? I ruled out the front fork/wheel since it seemed that needed to be free to move up/down to free the front strut.

Tom

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
cfell said:
I hooked into the front of skidplate on each side ran the strap around rear of CS so that it would not rise up.
Go Around the center stand cross bar then put the 2 hooks of the strap on the front on the skid plate. If using a ratchet type strap make sure the ratchet is facing up so you can release it.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
To this point I've not used a strap at all when I've down a shock swap, about 4 times so far. Getting ready to do it again, which will add 2 more on and offs as my old shocks will go on during the rebuild process.

·
Enthusiast - KI6CDF
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice and feedback.... It is appreciated.

Merry Christmas - Happy Holidays.

Tom

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Tom_Becker said:
I am planning on installing a set of Ohlins on my 2003 lt. I have obtained the install instructions available on this site, which is extremely helpful.

One of the instructions includes securing the center stand with a ratcheting web tie down. This safety instruction is a great suggestion. However, call me thick, but where does one attach the tie-down to secure the center stand (yes, I understand one end is the centerstand:rolleyes:)? I ruled out the front fork/wheel since it seemed that needed to be free to move up/down to free the front strut.

Tom
Let me know if you need someone to hand you tools and watch you work. I won't even mind if you use a few creative expletives. FYI - I got soem really bad cigars for Christmas that I'll share.

·
Enthusiast - KI6CDF
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually the Ohlins install went relatively well. About the only real hangup I had was with the front shock. The top connection to the frame has a sleeve on it to limit tightening. When I went to remove the sleeve and the rubber "donut" the sleeve would not come out. At first I thought it was a threaded sleeve. To get the sleeve out I had to push the shock up as far as possible into the top frame hole, grab the sleeve with vise grips and with a couple of whacks with a rubber mallet the sleeve came loose. It was hung up on a big ole wad of loctite.

The Ohlins are installed but the patient is still in surgery. I've got a number of things that need to be done with all the skins off. Though, I am not going to do the clutch slave without having some "experts" around.

Tom

·
Registered
748 Posts
After doing the shocks, drilling the hole for the clutch slave cylinder should be a breeze. Just do a search for the instructions on this site. I did it with no problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts