BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was "wrong" and I'm guilty of making an ass out of U and me,

A week or so ago I started a thread regarding the shelf life of fuel injector cleaner,
What happened was I washed my bike, added some fuel injector cleaner that was probably a year or more old and went for a ride,

My bike ran like crap, rough idle low rpm spark knock, like it's not firing on all four
so logic tells me it's usually the last thing you did/changed etc,
so I ass-U-med bad fuel injector cleaner, got some Sea foam burned up another tank of fuel and it didn't help,
actually seemed like it got worse the next day,
so what's next?? start replacing things, maybe spark plugs, clogged injector etc, etc.

Then last night my little Dachshund was paying a lot of attention to my LT,
like maybe there was a mouse or something up in there,
got a flashlight and sure enough there's a damn rat way back up in the the motor.
Rolled her outside, started the bike and the rat came out and took off.

Today I started pulling tupperware, and sure enough first thing I saw was a chewed up radiator overflow hose,
looked a little further and there are chewed wires going to the fuel injector rail,
it's a wonder the damn thing ran at all.

Got my soldering iron and the heat shrink out and a couple of hours later she's purring like a kitten.

Putting it all together with hindsight, that rat has been visiting my LT most every night for at least a week,
that explains why she continued to run worse everyday,
the injector cleaner had nothing to do with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
847 Posts
Hans;I heard rats like carrots and any kind of vegies;so feed him that next time he comes around;he will not eat up your bike. :D
No really ;I am glad it all worked out for you;I would never dreamed rats would do that much damage

Gary
2003 K1200LT

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Glad your dog figured it out for :D . I think you probably owe him a special treat or two!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Put a big-a** rat trap next to the bike tonight!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I place moth balls inside my boat when it's stored for winter. Never had a problem with rodents.

·
Premium Member
2,953 Posts
I place peanut butter baited mouse traps around my bike and have added mothballs as well. Catch 2-3 over he season based on the weather. Since the bikes hibernate for the winter, I plug the air box intakes with thin plastic grocery bags.

Had a stash of birdseed in the LT airbox when John did the wrench day at CCR Tan Tara. Had to borrow the hotel shop vac to suck the seed out!!!

Stayed at a farmhouse B&B once and the owner said they had to have their Accord rewired due to the damage caused by rodents in a small garage.

·
Registered
593 Posts
GHOSTRACER said:
Glad your dog figured it out for :D . I think you probably owe him a special treat or two!

Gotta love dogs!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I agree with mothballs. Spread a generous amount on the floor around the bike and throw some up on the seat as well.

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
Foiler said:
Gotta love dogs!
I like cats better in this case. My cat doesn't even need to get me involved. Takes care of the rodents all by himself. :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Find a place where the dog can't get to...and lay out some "Decon" poison rodent bait. Problem solved for generations of rats.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Wow! That adds a whole new definition to the term "rat bike".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts