BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done at least 6 boxer valve adjustments in the past so I don't know why I'm cornfused this time, maybe I'm using a differant resourse for info this time around.

Von Baden says to point the arrow "AT" the spark plug, but in his photo the arrow is pointing in the same direction as the plug points, and the studs and valves etc. kinda parallel to the floor.

What you guys think?

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I am going to guess that you are looking for a way to determine Top ead Center.

If so, may I offer a better solution? I use a long chop stick. Stick it in the spark plug hole and feel the cylinder reach TDC. If both intake and exhaust rocker arms are "loose" then your at TDC.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I agree with this but I use a long plastic drink straw through the upper spark plug opening rather than chop sticks. This reduces the chance of breaking a piece off inside the combustion chamber as you turn the engine to TDC. Remove straw, but leave spark plugs off till finished.
Once you determine the firing cylinder as explained above adjust and then turn the crank 360 degrees for the other side. Simple, works everytime :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, but I think I'd prefer to use a plastic shiskabob skewer.

But I sure am curious about that arrow thing.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gr8ridn said:
I'd say contact the author of that source
I thought most here used von badens cd's. Anyway, after I skewered the piston I discovered the arrow should be pointing in the direction the spark plug points. not at the plug.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
For what it is worth...

I have and I refer to the von Baden CD. but I use the "stick in the hole" tool for valve adjustments.

I want to be sure that Top Dead Center is really TDC. I have looked at the arrow, and frankly do not feel comfortable using that alignment for my work..

The straw/chop stick works every time.

·
Registered
747 Posts
There is no need to hit TDC exactly. Cam shape means there is plenty of degrees of tolerance around TDC so unless you are extraordinarily sloppy, there ia no need for precise TDC determination- routine valve checks are not the equivalent of cam timing. Just be sure both valves are loose on the side you're adjusting- a mistake on that would not be good.

Arrows are more than adequate but it certainly won't hurt to put something in the plug hole to watch if you wish- you could even mark and re-use it. Not sure why anyone would think this is easier, though. Just wastes time trying to get a more accurate TDC position than is needed for valve adjustment. (My 08 has built in references for doing both sides of the motor- 1 arrow and 1 "block"- that's what I use)

Its easiest to rotate the motor if the bike is in 6th gear (more leverage). If you happen to have the front cover off for a belt change or something, you can do it more directly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts