BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for suggestions? I’ve done a few 200-250 mile rides recently (for some reason, a lot of it in rain) and guessed the reason my hands start tingling was because of carpel tunnel syndrome? But, now I’m thinking it’s because my arms are too short for the handle bars—I wind up leaning forward to get my hands on them, which places pressure on my wrists and palms of my hand.

Since I can’t lengthen my arms, has anyone found an effective solution to having arms too short for the handle bars?

I’ve tried different throttle rockers, all with the same result, too much pressure on my wrist and palm of my hand.

Today, I made a throttle rocker using a rolled ace bandage and then holding it in place by wrapping, tightly, another ace bandage over the throttle grip and about ¼ of the length of an ace bandage loosely wrapped up—instant soft throttle rocker.

Best from Gorham maine
Bob

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm not sure I've seen them anywhere installed on a K1200LT but handlebar risers would seem to be what you need. They raise the bars up a bit and move them towards you a bit. In a google search not much shows up. Wondering if maybe nobody makes such a thing for this bike - I just spent 20 mins hunting and came up empty. Maybe there's a way to get a machine shop to fab something. Anyway, good luck in trying to solve your problem. One thing you should try - see if the seat is set high or low and change it to the other setting, see if (just on the off chance) that helps.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
One solution would be to have the lumbar support on the seat made thicker front to back. It doesn't lengthen your arms or the handlebars but should improve your ability to reach the grips. I understand where you are coming from. I feel my reach is just a bit too short. I find myself locking my elbows.

Loren

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hi Bob, in my opinion will a Back rest help you. You can install this to support you in a little upright and forward position. So you should come closer to the handle bar. Is what I found when I installed it on my Bike.

Manfred

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Morning Bob,

I have a similar problem, particularly with my right hand. I put the LT on cruise control when I can so I can relax my right and that helps. Of course, we can't always put it on cruise. I like Loren and Manfred's suggestions and may try that myself. Moving a bit forward may help when riding 2 up as well.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You for taking time to post suggestion.

Many years ago, a fellow by the name of Ron posted how to cut the bars and install tubing to lengthen the bars. He never followed up posting pixs with the handle bar covers mounted on the extended bars, and left no mention how it worked out for him.

A couple of years after that post,he sold his LT and bought an HD.

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

·
Registered
338 Posts
Have you tried taking the covers off the handle bars and repositioning--turning them upwards a bit? That would put the grips a bit closer to your body.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Maybe I'm visualizing things wrong, but, while bar risers would not be hard to install, mechanically, on the bar clamps, under the trim bits, I'm not sure how much slack you could get in the brake and clutch hoses and the electrical leads to the grip switches. You'd need a good bit of available slack to move the bars say 1 1/2 inches and still have full stop to stop bar rotation.

I've installed bar backs or bar risers on a number of BMW's from the '80s and '90s over the years and often, with cutting of tie wraps and re routing I got hoses and wires to go along with the program. But a $150 project can go to $600 plus if you have to modify all the hoses and wires to move the bars.

Good luck.

JD

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Bob,
When I had my seat rebuilt by Rich's in Seattle, he did what Loren suggested and built up the padding in the seat lumbar support. It moved me just slightly more forward in the seat and made all the difference in the world in the reach to the hand grips.

·
Registered
325 Posts
When I had a seat made at Mr Eds Moto in Albany, he added padding to the front of the lumbar support. It helped with my position some but nothing comes close to the difference the Bakup back rest made. I am able to adjust a it lot when I feel the need and it made a huge difference on my ride back east this summer. the last day was 940 miles and I had no problem.
Larry

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank You for your time to offer suggestions.

Many years ago I stripped the Beast to try and move the handle bars. All I could do was raise them slightly. At the time I was figurn that I would find a place to install risers and just have a gap between the key cover and the handle bar covers. Once I looked at how the bars are bolted down I figured that a machine shop would have to fabricate the riser.

At that point, i just put everything back together.

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh. For the time being sitting more forward probably isn't an option. last Christmas I bought after market shocks to replace my worn out stock shocks. Think I got them from Ted Shred?

I worked on it a few hours every day. After many days of putting her back together, taking her apart to see if the reason she wouldn't start was because I installed the fuel filter wrong, I finally sat on her and discovered the after market shocks raised her about an inch? I loudly cursed!!!

I could just manage The Beast raised up one inch. My toes touch the ground and the extra clearance is nice. I was too feed up working on her, sent her off to a dealer to figure out why she wouldn't start. 6-7 weeks later I got her back and knew I didn't want to take her apart and wait while new shocks came in.

When I put my Aerostich suite on I have trouble getting my right foot over the seat. Same for gettin off.

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Hey bob Some times I get on mine like a horse depends what gear I am wearing, just stand on the left footpeg and swing over the right leg makes it a lot easier get on I have wondered about the stress it puts on the side stand and peg, but after 10 years it hasn't broke yet. if you move the bars I don't think you will get the plastic back on that was why the guy that modified his cut the bars before the bar end bend and lengthened them there.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Many thanks to all who posted.

I bought a wrist brace form my left arm which seems to help a lot; I'll be getting one fro my right wrist.

I've been sitting farther back to get my arms locked and resting the hard "spoon" on the handle bar grip. that takes my weight off my hand and wrist.

Next stop is to get a back-up back rest.

best from Gorham ME
Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a 2010 r1200rt and my back could not handle the leaning forward to reach the handle bars. I'm used to a GoldWing or Harley where I can sit-up and reach the bars. It's expensive and it took a year of trying. I was desperate and was about to sell the bike unless I could find a fix. First I bought Verholem 1.7" Risers($329) that also allow changing handlebar angle. That thing is wonderful, it brings handlebars much closer and I rode like that for 6 months, but it wasn't enough. So I added Touratech 1" handle bar riser($129) on top of the Verholem. Cables would not reach but dealer said he could re-route cables to work without longer cables. He did it for ($100). I am very pleased. Everything works, no limitations turning or any other problems. I wish I had known about this sooner.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts