BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching possible arm rest for the GTL & I think (hope) I've come up with an option. They fit the 1500 Goldwing so I ordered a set last night. I should have them next week sometime. I'll take pictures as I do the install & then post them here. If they work the cost will be under $200.00 plus your time to install. The hardest part looks like removing the lower outer half of the top case. If you have had the top case apart I would appreciate any direction & pics.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Steve, if it is possible, I'd try to reinforce the inside of the top case before any outside installation. The K1600 top-case is much thinner than the K1200's and doesn't look like it can hold up to any outside flexing.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The top case will need to be reinforced to install anything that will put any preasure on it. It should not be too hard to remove the inner liner but you will need to remove the passenger back rest and the upper outer first. This way you can get at the shocks.

·
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I've already got some 1/8 inch plate steel to reinforce it. I plan on making the support so that it reinforces the sides & front.
Thanks for the heads up on removing the back rest first.

·
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the armrest installed so here are some pics.

HERE are the armrest I used.

HERE are the extra brackets I used.

After pulling the top case apart to get to the bottom shell I had Sammie set on the bike to find the best place to the armrest.
See the 3 mounting holes

Next I made the inside support. It rests on the bottom & front of the inside of the outer shell.

Here it is in place.

These are the rear mounting tabs. See the 2 small tips? the are about an inch and a half long so I cut them off to about 3/8. Just long enough to go thru the bracket & the top case. The 2 tabs are threaded inside but after cutting them down there was not enough "meat" left to rethread so I drilled them out & installed a stainless allen head bolt.

Here they are mounted. They swing out & back so I need to build a "Lock" with a quick release so they stay in the forward position while riding. Then with a pull of a cable they come free so you can get off easier.

·
Registered
38 Posts
That looks pretty darn good. Thanks!

Two questions:

1) what does the passenger have to do to swing the arm rest out of the way? lift, then swing out?

2) who makes the arm rest assembly, and what is the part number?

Thanks again ... much appreciated.

·
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FremontLT said:
That looks pretty darn good. Thanks!

Two questions:

1) what does the passenger have to do to swing the arm rest out of the way? lift, then swing out?

2) who makes the arm rest assembly, and what is the part number?

Thanks again ... much appreciated.
The armrest just swing out , no lifting. they have 2 "friction" washers that put some resistance on them. I'm in the process of making a "quick release" lock to hold them forward. They swing out very easy & Sammie wants them to be held in place.

Look at the top of post #5 there are links to the armrest & extra mounting tabs needed to mount them.

·
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I have one of the Armrest locks built & installed. It took 2 tries to get it right but it is a very simple design. A spring loaded pin with a cable pull release. The pin retracts on its own to lock the arm in place. Then just pull the cable to release the lock.

Here it is locked

& unlocked

The finger tip cable release is mounted on the bottom of the arm pad at the front edge. Just put you finger tips in the ring & pull.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts