BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a 2006 R1200RT for sale in my area, Atlantic Canada. It has 58,000 klms on it, which is 36,000 miles and he's asking $14,300 CDN, ($13,700 USD). It's loaded with options and includes 48 L top case too.

I know that that's probably a crappy price for a lot of locals but around my area, maybe not so bad as a bone-stock 2010 R1200RT goes for just under $21,000 CDN
($20,117.82 USD).

Price aside, would I be settling for a lesser bike by going a few years older on an R1200RT? I've heard some complaints about the servo brakes that are on the pre-2007 R1200RTs, are they really a problem? Any other possible issues?

I'm just trying to brush up on what was different on the R1200RT from one year to the next and use that info to make an informed decision whenever a reasonable deal comes along.

I've read that the new 2010 R1200RT has a peppier motor and improved gear box I believe but I'm primarily concerned with finding a bike that's great for two-up touring, is dependable, powerful enough and handles well, it doesn't really have to be a rocket.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Issues? you want issues....?

Yes... not enough time to ride, is the main (only) one...

but seriously folks... the '05 through '09 were all pretty much the same except for the "whizzy brakes".

My '05 has them, some time in '06 they stopped with them. I like them. They are incredible. Yes, the may whizzy sounds but I dont mind it. Complaints... the only real complaint is they stop too well but you will soon learn how to use them. One other thing is doing a brake fluid change is slightly more complex, but nothing a regular BMW owner would not do them selves... I've done it... no big deal and besides the servo assist helps in the process.

Would you give up much going older... personal opinion.. yes. The pre-'05 1150/1100 were heavier, less power and had other issues such as surging in the years before they added the 2nd spark plug in each cylinder. Since the '05 lighter... more power, better electronics all around.

If you like the bike and the price then definitely go with any 1200 you can find.

We ride 2-up most of the time. She is comfortable and there is no question that the power is right there.

Comfort? We came home from the BMW Sport Touring Rally last Thursday... 630 miles a little less then 12 hours- straight... no problem, no issues, no discomfort except the heat across Nevada and Utah.

You will not be sorry.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The only thing I have ever heard negative about 05 and 06s is the whizzy brake item. Apparently somewhat more labor intensive to maintain, and whizzy.....but I hear they stop just as well as their replacements. On the other hand, is the bike red? That they discontinued after 06. Too bad, great color and visable as well!

I know you aren't asking about price, but that seems at least a thousand (yankee dollars) high to me. Got my 07 last year with low miles for less than that, but with no ESA or top case. But then, that is what the negotiation dance is about......

Jamie

·
Registered
210 Posts
The 2005 and 2006 had a different brake system that a lot of riders did not like and it was discontinued in late 06. The 2008 model year had the most changes for the good with some good changes to the final drive. One being it is now a lot easier to change final drive fluid. Also the 08 had an Ipod connector standard and the fuel strip was supposed to be improved but that is not true with mine as my fuel strip has gone south. The fuel strip is not a big deal and any dealer can fix it in a few minutes. Probably not enough changes to make a big difference. Any RT you buy will be a good ride and it will only take a short time to get used to the boxer motor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Such a great bike!!

One thing:

ESA might get "stuck".
You should "excercise" the ESA by going through the preloads regularly, like weekly.
Otherwise it might get "stuck" in one preload setting.
The damping setting you can do while driving (comfort-normal-sport) will probably still work.
If the preload get "stuck" it will cost...

What I recall (don´t own a RT anymore) this is not mentioned in the manual.
Considering the consequenses it should...

// Taurus
Stockholm, Sweden

·
Registered
25 Posts
Price is a bit high, for the kms. But love the bike, mine is a red 2005. The servo brakes are incredible! I too am in atlantic Canada and don't see any other red ones. Bea tthe $$ some and you will love the bike! !

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
red05rt said:
Price is a bit high, for the kms. But love the bike, mine is a red 2005. The servo brakes are incredible! I too am in atlantic Canada and don't see any other red ones. Bea tthe $$ some and you will love the bike! !
Since you replied to a post that is over two years old, the price would seem a little high now. But back two years ago, it was a good price!

·
Registered
616 Posts
The servo brakes may be better, but only as long as they work. They do fail, although very seldom.
The reason BMW stopped producing them was not unrelated to incidents and accidents
with the servo brakes, eg with German police bikers. BMW has put great effort in developing
the servo brake system, they certainly did not abandon it without good reason.
I personally know a Belgian Police officer who had a servo brake failure.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Yes.

It still has servo brakes. IMHO go for 2007 or newer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sold my 2006 R1200RT in May 2012 and the new owner had a gas leak (21000 mi.) after three months.

Cost $700 in parts- had to also buy two new injectors. Then they sent the wrong parts--not the BMW P/Ns he ordered.

BMW basically told him to get lost.

He just bought a new 2012 Goldwing.. Could have been a new K1600 but BMW treated him like a number. He really thought the R1200RT was great bike until he pulled the skins and saw the poor engineering on the gas tank.

Since I have a new R1200RT (2012) this makes me somewhat mad since dangerous gas leaks are not what I expect out of BMW.

It strikes me funny that BMW would sit by and do nothing when there is a known problem with the gas tank leaking. They should have fixed this and apologized to him.
BMW must be infected with useless lawyers and bean counters.

I will probably never buy another one of their cars or motorcycles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought an RT 1200 SE 2 months ago. Its a 2007 model and had a low 7000 verified miles on the clock. It was showroom condition and everything worked. Due to appauling UK weather it sat in the garage for 7 weeks. Over night the fuel gauge committed suicide and showed empty with a full tank. After a 30 mile ride my right boot was covered in engine oil which had leaked from the valve cover. Replaced both inner oil seal and outer seal with new and still leaks. BMW dont want to know. When you read all the gaff about BMW engineering, quality etc and the premium price tag. they really are a crock of shit. BMW should hang their heads in shame for building such a lemon. After being quoted £220 for a new fuel gauge, I asked them if it had been modified so as not to fail again. Nope. EH? So you just have to keep replacing the gauge all the time. BMW are nothing more than accountants and are there solely to take your cash. I cant wait to get rid of the pretentious piece of garbage, but feel really sorry for the dumb ass who buys it. Hopefully he,ll be an accountant and can afford to maintain this Bavarian bank buster.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a BMW R1200RT today 09/21/2022 LOADED with lots of extra's including an alarm. This bike rides like a champ! Loving it. Anyone else out there purchasing any used BEEMER Motorcycles ?

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
662 Posts
When you read all the gaff about BMW engineering, quality etc and the premium price tag. they really are a crock of shit. BMW should hang their heads in shame for building such a lemon.
Wait, you didn't do your due diligence by ways of research before you bought the bike? Maybe BMW shouldn't be the only one hanging their corporate head in shame.

If you did do your research prior to your purchase you would have found out about the fuel gauge and the potential fix (the zap method). The oil leak you describe is VERY uncommon, the seals are very good and usually do not need to be replaced, like you proven by changing them and still having the leak. Did you check for cracks on the valve cover? A drop of the bike without some kind of mechanical protection could cause such issues.

They are a superb motorcycle, far superior to most bikes of that vintage, but like anything else in life, one needs to go in with eyes open Busaboy :p

I owned a '06 SE myself, put on about 40 k kilometres and sold it with 70 odd k on the clock to upgrade to a '21 RT.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts