BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an 02 LTC this summer and currently have my Street Pilot lll attached to the RAM ball on the left side of the handlebar. I am considering going to a BMR Co-pilot shelf and moving my SPlll onto the shelf.

We in Canada have finally entered the 21 century and will have our own satellite radio network by December. I have yet to decide whether to go Sirius or XM but want to install the new radio unit on the BMR shelf also.

My question is: are the sat. radios waterproof, if not what can be done to protect them? Is it better to mount the radio on the left or right of the GPS?Any other suggestions on the setup I've mentioned above?

Thanks,

Dave Broughton
Calgary, Alberta
02 LTC and Unigo
93 K75RT (for sale)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
My Roady2 is definitely NOT waterproof or even very water-resistant. I created a vinyl cover for it that allows me to change channels, etc. very helpful and needed.

The XM Sky-Fi is available with a Marine Type housing. How it affects interaction I do not know. Some here are using it.

The Sirius equipment I am not familiar with.

·
Registered
318 Posts
None that I know of are waterproof. I usually slip my JVC under my jacket if solo or hand the thing to Shelley if 2 up.
I soaked my radar detector last month and after opening it up and drying it out it seems ok.

Jimmy

·
Registered
438 Posts
"My question is: are the sat. radios waterproof, if not what can be done to protect them?"

Motel shower caps and (my personal favorite) plastic cooking bowl covers that have the elastic band.

regards

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I put mine in the oddments box. No problems with rain. I can also squeeze in my mp3 player and my cell phone!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Satellite radio placement

You guys are just full of great information! I especially like the idea of placing the sat. radio in the odiments box. Then I might try using velcro to mount the GPS on the steering yoke (like in the Paul Sayegh video)

Would I have to remove the single CD player to make enough room for the sat. radio?

Dave Broughton
Calgary, Alberta
02 LTC with Unigo
93 K75RT (for sale)

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
djbroughton said:
You guys are just full of great information! I especially like the idea of placing the sat. radio in the odiments box. Then I might try using velcro to mount the GPS on the steering yoke (like in the Paul Sayegh video)

Would I have to remove the single CD player to make enough room for the sat. radio?

Dave Broughton
Calgary, Alberta
02 LTC with Unigo
93 K75RT (for sale)
The single CD player is integrated into the radio chassis (just like a car radio, but with the front control panel moved to the top of the stingray). If you remove the radio chassis from the oddments compartment, you loose all connections to speakers/controls/etc.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
My Roady fits in with the CD no problem and I usally also put in either my cell phone or my garage remote plus my iAudio U2 MP3 player as well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts