BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son was following me and noted that my Kisan brake light flasher is so slow (4 sec. flash to solid red) that it's more distracting than helpful. He had just put on a LED taillight on his GS that flashed very rapidly for 1 sec. going solid red. It looked much more attention-getting than my Kisan setup. BTW, I've ordered LED bulbs to replace the incandescent bulbs, but not sure that that will make any difference.

Comments on the effectiveness of these brake light flashers? I'm thinking of just removing the Kisan flasher.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Brake light flashers

Interesting comment from your son. The comments I've received about my lights have always been positive, and I just ordered a set for my new 2006. I would also be interested in knowing where you got your LED's though.

Phil

·
Registered
470 Posts
paulcbrowne said:
My son was following me and noted that my Kisan brake light flasher is so slow (4 sec. flash to solid red) that it's more distracting than helpful. He had just put on a LED taillight on his GS that flashed very rapidly for 1 sec. going solid red. It looked much more attention-getting than my Kisan setup. BTW, I've ordered LED bulbs to replace the incandescent bulbs, but not sure that that will make any difference.

Comments on the effectiveness of these brake light flashers? I'm thinking of just removing the Kisan flasher.
Forget the LED bulbs. They are a focused light beam pointing straight back. You will not get the light to scatter off the reflector in the tail lite lense. Yor tail lites will only be as big as the diameter of the LED cluster. Fewer square inches of lite transmitted to the cage drivers behind you. My 2 cents.....

·
Registered
438 Posts
"My son was following me and noted that my Kisan brake light flasher is so slow (4 sec. flash to solid red) that it's more distracting than helpful."

What ever word your son chose to discribe your Kisan brakelight flashing, he DID notice it.

regards

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Well, I wouldn't give up on LEDs entirely - here is a link to a post on the old site with some information DaveDragon posted on some Tower LEDs -- http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=K1200LT&Number=255628&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=tower%20led&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=99999&Old=allposts&Main=255350

Here is another link in the same thread to some videos Dave shot -- http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=K1200LT&Number=258341&page=&view=&sb=&o=

I'ld say they show pretty well!

I agree with Craig - the 'regular' LEDs don't show up well the farther off to the side you get...

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
paulcbrowne said:

I agree with your son. But the flasher units like the back-off are meant to work with incandescent bulbs. If you use LEDs they flash much faster, like the hyperlights add-ons. I converted my taillight to LED and was disapointed in the flasher's rate too.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Motomadman said:
Forget the LED bulbs. They are a focused light beam pointing straight back. You will not get the light to scatter off the reflector in the tail lite lense. Yor tail lites will only be as big as the diameter of the LED cluster. Fewer square inches of lite transmitted to the cage drivers behind you. My 2 cents.....
Not only are the "tower LEDs" a better option than regular LEDs, but they have several types of cluster LED 1157/56 replacements that point in all directions. They even have some that SPIN!!! I can't wait to see these at a bike show before finally pulling the trigger on them. It's only a matter of time before we all switch over to some form of LED lights for our tailights and turn signals.

LED = the H.I.D. of taillights. ;)

·
Registered
820 Posts
paulcbrowne said:

If you remove your Kisan flaser, are you willing to sell it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I installed a LED setup on my wife's F650GS and found it so positive that I installed one on my R1200GS. We both feel much safer now. The cost was $120 each and are manufactured by a Gizmomill in Canada. Check them out at www.gizmomill.com

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have used the regular 'tower' type LED's and while they're much better than the ones that only fire straight out they pale in comparison to these.
I've tried 'em all and the SMT (surface mount technology) or 'chip' style are the best out there. Same technology as the Luxeon brand but ready to plug & play. Finally an LED with the coverage & output comparable to incandescent.
Been dealing with this supplier for a while now too and they are good people. They also have an eBay store which I prefer for convenience. Pricing seems to be the same.

BTW, I'm in no way trying to sell anyone anything. No interest whatsoever in their business, just my opinions & observations.

Oh, and with a brake light modulator there's simply no comparison, LED's are much more noticeable since they are instant on/instant off.

Regular LED's just seem obsolete now. Go for wattage!
I have dozens of assorted regular LED bulbs now collecting dust 'cause I've replaced them all with the SMT's.

Rick "the LED-Freak-Yankee" Liebermann

·
Registered
48 Posts
I added the hyperlights to my LT a few weeks ago they work great just around 100$$ install was easy took about 15 min.

VanO

1 - 15 of 15 Posts