BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've a 1999 LT with only 50k miles on it that's stuck in second gear. It's not the shift mechanism, but apart from that I haven't investigated what's wrong with it yet.

I will examine all options from repair to replace, or even maybe reluctantly scrapping the bike, as even repaired it's not worth much these days.

Should I relace the gearbox can any model year be used? Are there any changes to later ones that preclude installing in an earlier bike?

I've had a search round and can't see anything apart from the later bikes seem to have more reliable gearboxes.

Cheers - in advance!

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I've a 1999 LT with only 50k miles on it that's stuck in second gear. It's not the shift mechanism, but apart from that I haven't investigated what's wrong with it yet.

I will examine all options from repair to replace, or even maybe reluctantly scrapping the bike, as even repaired it's not worth much these days.

Should I relace the gearbox can any model year be used? Are there any changes to later ones that preclude installing in an earlier bike?

I've had a search round and can't see anything apart from the later bikes seem to have more reliable gearboxes.

Cheers - in advance!
I think it was 02 where the Speed sensor moved from the rear wheel to the transmission noting the difference in the final drive with and without the sensor hole. You would be safe with a 01 transmission and an 02 would bolt up but you might have to do some rewiring to get the speed sensor hooked up. I don't recall anyone doing that but there are the gurus like jzeller who will be able to give you an idea of what year will work and if it can be modified to work. There is a DIY gear box video showing disassembly and reassembly for a input bearing but the same procedure would be used to see what is wrong inside yours. Check out the Illinois BMW club vids. Kirk does a nice job.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts
Nope the speed sensor is not on any transmission except the one for reverse. All years are swappable in the LT world. You can even put in an RS transmission 6 speed tranny but you will need an RS starter and you will lose reverse also. Oh the transmissions after 2004 were not painted black they are just natural aluminum.

The speed sensor on the rear drive went away when they went to the Integral brakes and they use the rear wheel ABS sensor to generate the speedo signal in the ABS unit.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Nope the speed sensor is not on any transmission except the one for reverse. All years are swappable in the LT world. You can even put in an RS transmission 6 speed tranny but you will need an RS starter and you will lose reverse also. Oh the transmissions after 2004 were not painted black they are just natural aluminum.

The speed sensor on the rear drive went away when they went to the Integral brakes and they use the rear wheel ABS sensor to generate the speedo signal in the ABS unit.
Thanks John. Don't think I will ever know as much as you.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
It should be illegal to know as much about the LT as John knows.

:grin:
Well, at least I was right in my narrow answer. The 01 transmission would fit. :grin:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys - very much appreciated. Should be easier to locate a replacement now. Don't really want to scrap the bike even though I would like to justify getting a K1600GTL. :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
6 speed would be cool, is top gear taller, or just closer ratio's?

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
6 speed would be cool, is top gear taller, or just closer ratio's?
I don't know what the ratios are but the 6 speed does not have a reverse so if that is also important, you might not want to swap it out for one. I have only ever used my reverse to get it out of the chock on my lift.

Saddleman has used several different FD ratios on his LT just as another point of info on types of mods that can be done if you have the inclination.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts