BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has any knowledge of which helmet would give more comfort; light weight, noise, etc...

Arai SZ Ram III
or
Nolan N-42

Thanks!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Have owned many helmets across many years and the Arai's have been SUPERB......if they fit YOUR head shape. That is the key......

Have only owned own Nolan and it was nothing special.....wouldnt have another. Want a good cheap helmet , Scorpian is impressive.

Otherwise Shoei and Arai have always been my faves..... :bmw:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Sz-ram3

Hollywood said:
Who has any knowledge of which helmet would give more comfort; light weight, noise, etc...

Arai SZ Ram III
or
Nolan N-42

Thanks!
I bought a Ram III in the spring of 2006. I use it as my summer helmet.

Comfort: Excellent, cheek pads are sized and removable, liner is removable and washable. No pressure spots, large cavities for ears.

As a 3/4 open face it feel light to me. It is the 3rd generation of this shield flip up design. My wife loves her version II

You can run with the shield up on the helmet and the LT screen down at 70+ with no buffeting.

Best hot weather hiway cooling is with helmet screen down eye brow vents open, 3 top of helmet intake scoops open, two rear discharge vents open. This is the most noise scheme. Plenty of 90F+ riding this past summer going to WI and MO. Best vented helmet I have ever owned.

It is quiet when all vents are closed and the face screen is down, and the LT shield is up a few clicks. I must note that I do run with custom fitted ear plugs. I'm using a Bhaer head set in this helmet.

The shield is removable, but I don't remove it as I need directions to make sure I don't break the plastic bits!!! I run a clear shield, so I'm ready for night riding and handy to keep those stinging rain drops off your face.

I have tried the Nolan on at various cycle shows but it never has felt like "my" helmet on my skin head. I do like the Arai.

Barnett

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I have actually have the Ram 111 and a Nolan N41...the Arai is far superior. The Nolan was lighter, but the shield bothered me. It hung down in my line of sight when it was all the way up.

I still have both of them, but only wear the Arai. Speaker install in the Arai is much easier also with no need to cut out the foam.....sound is better too.

HTH,

Ron

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have used several helmets over the past 35 years of riding. Currently have two Bell Tour lites. Schuberth concept, HJC, Scorpion half helmet, Vega modular,and three different Arai helmets. I never liked full face helmets behind touring windshields until I tried the Arai Quantum f. I just will not wear any thing else now. The Arai simply fits my head better. Try several on and go from there. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts