BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything else that I can use on my windshield besides Rain-X? It works okay but seems to make the windshield fog easier and even when dry has a funny "haze" on the surface.
Thanks for any help.
Ed

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Do not use Rain-X

edonthenet said:
Is there anything else that I can use on my windshield besides Rain-X? It works okay but seems to make the windshield fog easier and even when dry has a funny "haze" on the surface.
Thanks for any help.
Ed
Ed,

Rain-X is NOT recommended for the LT windshield. Neither are many of the other aftermarket items as they can cause the windshield to delaminate. If you can get to the old site and read through the archives, you'll find that on the OEM windshield, just about the only thing to use besides soap and water and possibly Pledge, IIRC. If your having a real problem with fogging, use denatured alcohol to clean and dry it out.

YMMV

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I haven't applied any yet, so thanks for the advise. I remember the problem from my previous bike, a Kawi Voyager.
I just installed an aftermarket Parabellum shield and last night got caught in the rain. The windshield cleared moderately well at 60 but I wasn't on a road that allowed that speed for long.
I wonder if an automotive wax or glaze would improve it?
Ed

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Rain X used to have a Marine version that was supposed to be safe for plastics, but I don't see that on their web site any longer.

Note on the bottles it says "Not for use on plastics".

I used Brillianize on my face shield and windshield, worked pretty well. That was a Dick Largen discovery on the old site.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Toss the factory windshield all together. The laminte comes off and in addition, the wavyness makes it difficult to see through.

Cea-Baily has better windshields that are thicker which reduces alot of movement in heavy wind conditions and they have several styles and heights to choose from.

What to use for cleaning...

Meguiar's makes a two step kit (I found mine at the local BMW dealership for around $16). The first step is a mild cutting cleaner, the second is a polish.

I've been able to almost eliminate all my swirl marks and scratches that the previous owner of the bike had.

I live in California, were the weather changes frequently and I've not experienced a fogging problem. In addition, mist and rain slide right off.

I perform the two-step process about once a month and in-between, I use Plexor to due the daily cleaning and polish.

I'll update my post with the actual items alittle later.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Possible Solution

Hi,

Had the same problem then dicovered Plexus. It's a USA product designed for aircraft plastics. It cleans the screen and seems to fill in small scratches, the rain falls off as well.

Just search on the webb, you'll find it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Pro Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish

It cleans road grime, bugs, grease, and dust, leaving a "showroom shine" that helps to protect against sun damage, ozone and dirt accumulation.

Cleans, polishes and protects paint, plastic, glass, vinyl and rubber. Repels water, blocks UV rays, reduces dust build-up.

I use it on the K12LT and the Road King windshields. Works well. Additionally, it polishes the whole bike easily.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, my solution was staring me in the face the whole time. I use Klasse AIO on our cars for washing and polishing. You can get it here. Just use 1 cap to 1 gallon of clean wash water. When you wipe down the bike it polishes off, leaving it really slick and shiny. Sure beats waxing! But the AIO makes the water bead off.
I don't work for the product or the seller, but I love the stuff and have turned a lot of people on to it. They make the 10 oz. bottle if you just want to try it, for a bike that's probably 2 years supply.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have a bottle of windshield wax from Cee Bailey that came with the shield for my FJR1300. Haven't used it yet on the LT. It says it cleans, waxes and removes small scratches and swirls. Do you think this is the same thing as Plexus? It is a milky liquid that is no thick.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just was on the Cee Bailey site and they also advertise / recommend Plexis, specifically for Motorcycle windshields. Be very careful on what you apply on acrylics/plastics ... it appears these items are recommended over and over again, AND Cee Bailey accually produces aftermarket windshields (anybody have experience with these?), so what they recommend will likely be okay.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
edonthenet said:
Thanks for any help.
Ed
Try Lemon Pledge. It's easy to find while on the road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Possible substitute for Rain-X

I've used Pledge on my windshields for about three years without problems. Rain beads off quickly, no haze or other problems. I also use it on my helmet faceshields and on my glasses. Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use carnuba wax

I try not to use any harsh detergents on the bike. Several times a year I will apply 100% carnuba wax. Buff it out and I'm done. It repells rain like Rainex. I have been doing this with the stock windshields I've had.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts