BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking at what time is involved in taking the plastic Tupperware off from around the headlight front fairing section on my 2018 RT. I understand that most people with any sort of experience and willpower could do it. BUT!!! I would like an idea of real-time to do this and maybe what might be anything to look out for. I am thinking of changing the colour of the bike as per my other thread and this would be the only section I am not sure about the length of time it would take an experienced person to remove it etc.
I am posting a photo below to show the section I am looking at so it is clear what part I am talking about. Yes, I have searched Youtube and come up with nothing to really show me.
IMG_0598.jpeg

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT LE
25 Posts
This thread should guide you to your answer. Just don’t remove the headlight since that’s not what your purpose is. Go slow and keep track of the screws and their location. Take pictures as you go as an insurance policy for reassembly. Takes 1.5 hours if you go slow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Geoff,
Yes it can be done; it can be time consuming but not difficult. To remove the mirrors, you will need a plastic trim removal tool. The fastener was difficult to see but once I found it, it was simple to remove. The shop manual is a great asset to help locate all of the screws and fasteners. The right side panel is more difficult than the left because of the antenna.

I decided to change the color of my RT and used a vinyl wrap instead of paint. I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Have you considered taking the body parts off yourself and hand carrying them to the painter or wrap person?

I have thought of taking mine off and having various parts painted. I would hand carry them for the GS.

I had my 15 RT stripped all but headlight and bag panels and was going to try a wrap for a good price but went to the GS.

There is a PDF around for all screw locations and lengths so that makes it easier to keep track of the various screw sizes. You can search for that. I also think there is a printable version you can print, put on cardboard, and punch the screws through in the right location.

The only issues I know off is the side panels and the tabs. There is a technique to pull those panels off and it is up and back. I know on my 15 I posted they had put Velcro on those panels in the tab area and others said yes they had Velcro yet others not.

I just would feel better taking and putting the panels on myself but that is in my skill set and may not be in others.

What color you going after?

Reactions: Geoff c

·
Registered
523 Posts
I removed all of that to convert my headlight bulbs over to LED. The entire job took 4 hours start to finish, but that included installed the blubs, and cleaning the parts before reassembling everything.

Whoever suggested that it was about 1.5 hours to disassemble if you work slowly/methodically is correct IMO.

Reactions: Geoff c

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
155 Posts
Pdf for the wethead panel fasteners. The panels did not change all that much from the 1200 to the 1250, so I would be pretty confident that it is identical or almost identical to one another.

Like it was suggested above, go slow, take photos and your time ;) I think you could do it comfortably within an hour.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Geoff, as above it's not an impossible task. It just needs a slow methodical approach IMHO.
+ 1 for using the PDF or Boxflyer Boards.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys thanks to everyone who replied the time was what I was thinking of if I did it and not knowing what to expect. So if I worked on 4 hours to remove and replace that would cover the time factor for my mate then I can be flexible with him on that time. I wanted a rough idea for him to be able to give me a price on the overall job as he still needs to cover his hours and the cost of labor.

as for wrap I know a lot of you like it but I am not a fan of wrap for 2 main reasons, they are 1- it cost as much or close enough to the same cost of painting. 2- I have seen some great wrap jobs but more rough ones than good ones where the business doing it has missed bits or cut into the original paintwork. Plus The wrap gloss never looks as good to me anyway as the real thing.
Thanks to each of you that replied. I could pull the pannels off myself but with no storage in my garage and very limited space. The bike lives outside beside the garage on a path I put in for it to sit on and be covered over with a bike cover year round.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I pulled all the pannels off the RT today including my Top case ready for my mate to paint for me I posted some photos on the what did you do to your bike thread and what I am doing with colour etc..:unsure::rolleyes:(y)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I dropped all the parts to my mate who is painting and changing the colour of my bike including the Shad Top case lid and the Rear luggage bags as I am going with the bottom outer section also to be painted to match the rest of the bike. Changing the colour from Mars Red to White. He was not expecting this as we have only spoken about it last week. While I was there we picked a colour and what clear he's going to use to allow the deep glass look I am chasing. So I am thinking about 2 weeks max. for the end result.
IMG_0907.jpeg
IMG_0897.jpeg
IMG_0908.jpeg

Reactions: LAF
1 - 10 of 10 Posts