BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 05 LT, the gas lid was never closing down all of the way; even when I picked it up from the dealer, he told me all of them looked like that. Looked at a few new ones at the showroom today and they all appeared to fit nicely.

I've now even broken the the latch and had to install some velcro for it to stay closed. I know, take it in for some warranty work....

Anyone else with this problem?

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
It has happened to quite a few over the years. Sometimes it is just dirt in the latch, and other times the latch gets dusty and dry. A squirt of something like WD-40 has cleared many.

It is a pretty easy to replace, and inexpensive part in any event.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Nope.. my 05 fuel door fits nice and even with surrounding Tware. I've seen where the little rubber gasket will cause the door to "flex" if not installed correctly. So, the dealer may be correct....if they are all installed incorrectly, "they all do that".

·
Registered
320 Posts
dshealey said:
It has happened to quite a few over the years. Sometimes it is just dirt in the latch, and other times the latch gets dusty and dry. A squirt of something like WD-40 has cleared many.

It is a pretty easy to replace, and inexpensive part in any event.

My gas door works but looks like it's warped. The front latches but the back doesn't lay flat and it looks bad.

I'd thought about changing it but really never looked into it. How easy is it to change? Do you need to pull the stingray out? And without looking it up....about how much do you recall the part being?

Thanks

·
Registered
740 Posts
If the dealer is inattentive while putting the bike together and does not install the stingray (top piece with the VOICE system) correctly, to where the rubber "skirt" that fits around the fuel fill opening is seated properly behind the hinges of the flap, then symptoms you are describing can result. It happens to me almost every other time I have my dealer do anything that involves taking that top piece off and the guy putting it back together gets sloppy and just slaps it back on without fitting it in place properly. I ALWAYS have to do minor surgery on something after I get mine back from the dealer.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
FWIW, loco felle .... I mean, local feller, Dave Moore, currently has the same problem and is using the same velcro fix. Has ordered a new latch to be delivered sometime next week.

If you do that, in the meantime try this: you can remove the deck latch (not the post in the lid) by pushing it up outta the niche with your finger under the deck. The latch is easily dis-assembled and you may find, like I did, that the return spring has been moved onto the wrong side of a tension post, or has become dis-connected at a mounting point. Move it back, or check the spring ends to make sure they still grip the connection points. Air blow sediment and shtuff outta the latch, lube it a leetle with some spray lube, and re-insert it into the deck. Mine has worked fine for 5 years, after doing this fix.

Best

·
Registered
888 Posts
Mine was replaced by dealer under warranty.

·
Registered
538 Posts
My gas door works but looks like it's warped. The front latches but the back doesn't lay flat and it looks bad.

Mine is the same

·
Registered
474 Posts
My 03 was the same way and the dealer told me the same thing. I had the dealer show me the other 3 bikes that they had (I had already scoped it out) on the floor to prove that they were "all like that". They ordered a new part and fixed it under warrenty. I've also had to have the latch piece replaced and the tank replaced.

So, it is something that it NOT correct and the dealer should deal with it.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
My 02 never has fit right from day one.

Same dealer "they all do that".

Just ignoring it at this point.

Doug Holck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts