BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks to me like the K1600s will have the speakers like the earlier touring models. Does anyone ever use the speakers while riding? I use in ear monitors and suspect most people use helmet headsets.

·
Registered
832 Posts
dysert said:
It looks to me like the K1600s will have the speakers like the earlier touring models. Does anyone ever use the speakers while riding? I use in ear monitors and suspect most people use helmet headsets.
Both. Speakers for commuting to work or local trips. When on an all day ride or trip, I'll use my earplugs and helmet headset or earplug speakers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use the bike mostly for commuting. I use the speakers and have news radio on pretty much all of the time. Unless it's a bad day and then the Black Sabbath CD is ready to go.

If I am traveling I use bluetooth for the GPS and iPhone.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Back when I had the LT, I liked having the speakers for when I was working in the garage. Even though I have a stereo out there. I also liked playing tunes at campgrounds or at backyard parties. Other than that, there was no need for them while the bike was rolling.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I like pulling into the Harley dealership with ZZ Top blasting "Sharp dressed man" or 'She's got LEGS"! :dance:

·
Registered
167 Posts
The bike's speakers can be turned off to use the Bluetooth output instead, so you can use the bike's radio but listen to it through helmet speakers or whatever.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
SmokinJoe said:
I like pulling into the Harley dealership with ZZ Top blasting "Sharp dressed man" or 'She's got LEGS"! :dance:
Wow! Trying to out-poser the posers! :rotf: :histerica

·
Registered
155 Posts
Some of my old Harley buddies like to comment on how quiet the LT is. I burnt a CD of my old Harley's exhaust and wheen they start giving me a rashion of crap I just play it.
Shuts them up.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
garyw said:
Some of my old Harley buddies like to comment on how quiet the LT is. I burnt a CD of my old Harley's exhaust and wheen they start giving me a rashion of crap I just play it.
Shuts them up.
I've wanted to do that for years and never got a round to it. Where did you get the recording of loud Harleys? BTW - I oinly use the bike spoeakers when working in the garage or cleaning her,(don't tell Meese).

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
I usually use the outside speakers in traffic so others will hear me - not what I'm playing but rather so they will hear some kind of noise near them so they won't drive into me. Unless the windshield is all the way up or moving at slow speeds I've found the 'outside' music to be worthless for listening.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Travis said:
I usually use the outside speakers in traffic so others will hear me -
That's another "illusion" like loud pipes save......
with today's soundproof cars with surround sound stereos and screaming kids inside
most drivers are totally oblivious to everything except 10-20 ft in front of their car
and/or their cellphone or text keypad.

Unfortunately, about the only people that will hear you
are the ones right next to you or the ones that you've already past.

As for myself, I don't listen to music when there's traffic,
I need all of my senses concentrating on "staying alive"

When I'm out in the "open road" I have my headset speakers @ 50%
and my fairing/tourpack speakers @100%,
this gives me a nice "surround sound"

while at the same time drowning out my "singing" :)

·
IBR# 366
16,554 Posts
sorchilla said:
I only use the bike speakers when working in the garage or cleaning her (don't tell Meese).
Hey now, I don't care if you wash your own bike. I don't even care if you wash my bike. I just can't be bothered to do it myself. :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
dysert said:
I can't speak for the GTL, because I don't have it yet,but on my Ultra Classic I use the outside speakers all the time. I found that I couldn't get the helmet speakers to go loud enough to clearly hear the music at speed, although that may say more for my hearing than anything else. Seriously, though, I think that H-D limits the volume into the headset, while they don't to the outside speakers. I have the stock radio and speakers.

Another issue, discovered when the wife got her K13, is that with the Nolan helmets, if you are connected to another helmet via bluetooth, you can't listen to music, or anything else in your helmet speakers. You can, but only via a wired connection and anyone connected to you via bluetooth hears the same thing, only over a crappy mono bluetooth connection. In other words, the intercom is an always-open connection, transmitting every cough, sneeze, swear, etc., to the other person connected. In my mind that is a huge flaw, although it may just be because of the state of the electronics not being able to handle a voice-activated connection.

I know that on police bikes with the bluetooth connection to a portable or fairing-mounted radio there is a PTT switch mounted on the handlebar that works just fine. Hopefully that will make it's way into the civilian systems sometime soon. Until then, it's the outside speakers for music.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The only thing I use is the outside speakers...Just put the tape adapter in the player and plug the iPod to the adapter...Have to use the iPod for advancing thru songs but the handlebar volume control works... :bmw: Have to change out the rear speakers soon as the sound quality is getting pretty bad.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I've used my speakers when pulling up to a light next to a car full of kids.
I switch to polka music and turn up the volume and they roll up their windows.

·
Registered
155 Posts
sorchilla said:
I've wanted to do that for years and never got a round to it. Where did you get the recording of loud Harleys? BTW - I oinly use the bike spoeakers when working in the garage or cleaning her,(don't tell Meese).

The wife bought me a couple of CD's Harley road songs. Had various artist. At the beginning of each there was a Harley exhaust recording. I copied that to My PC the looped it to a blank CD. Plays over and over ad nauseum.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I use the speakers on the LT all the time. (I do not use anythingelse)

dysert said:

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
STARFIGHTER said:
I switch to polka music and turn up the volume .
I like "how you think" :)
I rarely listen to my CD player since I've got the Ipod,
I might just slip a Polka CD into the player for just such an occasion! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts