BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This unit seems to have all that I would need and is only $199. Anyone here use one on an RT? I have a 2009 R1200RT and it already has the accessory plug for a GPS already taped near the steering column under the dash. I also have purchased this plug's mating end and I think I can just cut the power supply cable that should come with the gps so that power from the bike could be obtained. What do you think?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Before i got the RT i had a F800ST. Seems like i mounted the 2795 which is the 5" screen. Worked just fine although never tested in rain and only had the bike for a few months. I wouldn't consider this an adequate test but it did work for my purposes. Got the mount from GPS City and the power plug from the local BMW dealer. Pretty sure it was make by Powerlet with the 5v reduction. I recall spending around $450 total and in the end i didnt feel i saved enough money relative to the sacrifices in features. When i got the RT i went for the Nav IV and i'm happy with the results. For some the Nuvi's is all thats needed and meets expectations. Far as i can tell the core software and maps are the same on all units. Its possible the Zumo's can do more but like much software, those features are mostly beyond my tech skill levels anyway. I now use the Nuvi in my car and loan to my kids when they travel.

Larry

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
While looking through a site in China that is in English at cell phones I saw a water proof container that is claimed to allow full usage of touch screens,

Right now I'm using an auto GPS; doesn't rain much here. There are quite a few auto GPS with feature sets that I like either not available in their mobile units, or much less expensive than the waterproof units.

Some times I think that the trick is to have two cheap auto units with different features in each unit? I like mounting the GPS on the left hand side for city driving, not blocking an view of cagers entering on the right, and in the right for interstate travel so that the lane assist information is on the side of the road where I'll be looking.

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts