BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there are better speakers that can be puy into my '12 RT than the stock ones.

Also is it possible to add a small amp to the audio system as well?

Thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
464 Posts
after some research on the web I bought some recommended upgrade speakers for my rt, I could notice no diference in sound, I find my rt radio is of no use above 40 mph , sounds great though when parked. I do like the sena but at highway speeds you have too use the earbuds.

·
Registered
104 Posts
^^^ The Germans still have not caught up to U.S. audio standards. It is the same with German cars. Comparable/cost specific audio systems available for German cars and German M/Cs is still inferior to similarly priced U.S. manufacturers and their audio systems. High end audio systems in Euro cars can be had, however, at a significant price point/premium. The exhorbitant cost of Euro available audio systems in Euro cars is not worth the price of admission, in my eyes/ears. I own a German SUV, a Japanese beater, and two American cars. I had to order the BMW Premium Sound at a significant cost ($1200-$1500) upgrade, just to get an audio system that barely matches the base system in my Japanese beater and my American car; It is still inferior to my other American car that has the Bose upgrade for the 2012 and 2013 MYs. The audio system in my '11 Benz that I recently traded, was also garbage...
I'd say I'm justified in my argument, eh? ;)

When I compare the Boom H-D system (I had the upgrade in the fairing only - just two speakers) to the audio system on the RT, it is a world of difference.
Not only is the stock H-D audio system superior to the RT's, but for only $149 installed, the Boom speakers, adds a significant improvement (25%) to the H-D audio system's performance. BMW should learn from this.

Upon hearing the stock system in the RT, I opted out of ordering the stereo for my '12 RT. Cost/value factor just wasn't there for me.

The issue I have is the limited available options for BMW. :(

I'll monitor this thread, to see if there are any viable/worthwhile audio options to install on my RT in the future. I'd love an audio system on my RT, whose price point and performance can at least equal the H-D stock system with the Boom speaker upgrade.

Cheers/B

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't get any help at the dealer. One thing about BMW dealers, they have tunnel vision. They don't think outside the box.

I would still at least opt for new speakers even if I couldn't add an amp. Speakers always are the best bang for the buck. Is there a way to find out the size of the speakers and how many watts the tuner puts out at how many ohms?
Ken

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Did anyone who has a RT with the radio package (2012) notice in the settings that there is a internal setting for rear speakers? A fader setting is active if you select the rear speakers option. So if BMW does not think outside the box what do you make of the built in rear speaker option? I would be interested in this setup if anyone had a way of properly installing matching rear speakers somewhere on the bike.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I made it the input to a aftermarket BT transmitter, volume control on the handle bar works and the volume increases as my speed increases just like the factory BT should have worked but doesn't. With it paired to a SRC system I can actually get the volume too loud to be comfortable so I am pretty happy with the setup. Contrary to the experiences of some before I installed the BT transmitter I could hear my speakers clearly even at highway speeds of course they tended to be a bit loud when stopped :) The bike did have a Vstream windshield on it when I bought the bike and if I raise it a bit I get minimal wind noise so that may be helping. Maybe undocumented changes in the 2012 systems who knows.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I've owned just about every type of touring bike with a factory radio going back to my first tour, a 1981 GW. NONE of them are any better or worse than the one in the RT. I hear folks saying HD got it right or Victory has this or that or the GW is the cats behind.... truth is you are pumping sound into a windstream and the ONLY variable is how many speakers you have aimed into that stream. I'm not talking smack on any manufacturer as I've owned all the aforementioned. They are what they are.
The BEST option on ANY motorcycle if you want room quality audio, is helmet speakers. You can mod this or that, add amps and boom speakers but at the end of the day you simply have LOUDER NOISE. Check out J&M or see what BMW offers in an in helmet speaker system. That will be money better spent in my opinion. I ran a J&M speaker setup for years and loved it.
http://www.cycleaccessorystore.com/category-s/31.htm

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I have the factory audio in my 2009. I agree, you can't hear the doggone thing above about 40 mph because of the wind noise. BUT - here's the secret - earplugs! They mute out the wind noise so that I can hear the radio and CD player as fast as I care to ride. Only problem I've found is that the auxiliary input from my iPod, even with the interal gain fully up, isn't enough, so a line amp is necessary. I have one to install but like lots of other projects it hasn't risen up to the surface.

So before you go trying an expensive amp or speaker upgrade, try a pair of earplugs. They need to fit well enough that you can't hear normal conversation. I like foam plugs - I use Howard Leight Maxx, but there are plenty out there (I buy them by the 100-pak). And I have the stock windshield, lots of aftermarket ones reduce the wind buffeting and would make it even better.

As in that old commercial --- "Try it, you'll like it".

JayJay

·
Registered
726 Posts
After many years of installing Custom audio in ALL sorts of cars ,trucks, boats limo's I have a little experience at this subject. To make sound at or above 40/mph you need power... and lots of it! Now the question is where am I going to put the drivers to move the air that makes the sound? Well there is no place to put more drivers and with the cheapo drivers in the RT (2009) The question is what to do? Add a Good amp in the glove box and upgrade the cheep 4" drivers with Poly Polypropylene drivers with foam backing to keep the water out. This will move more AIR and thus more music at high way speeds. In the World of Car audio, power is every thing. When it comes to power, most of the manufactures Lie through there teeth about how there power in made. Look for MosFet amps. All ways cleaner and of cores more expensive but way worth the cost. 35 WATS of Rockford Fosegate is the same as 100 WATS Pioneer! Good luck in the hunt for great tunes on the road.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Risky your the first response that even mentions speaker size thanks :wave . Most of us that ask these types of questions or research this topic know the basic principles of speaker replacement and the benefits. What is lacking is the technical details in the responses. I like others would like a little better sound with the stock radio through the speakers, and telling people the same "I can't hear mine above 40mph" does not address the question.

So I have simple questions which I can't seam to find the answers too.

2011 RT stock speaker size =4" correct.
In looking at the parts diagram the housing looks like it is a 2 way speaker with a separate speaker for the base and one for the mids/highs. Correct or not.

What ohm rating is the speaker, is it the typical 4ohm or some wired German thing like a 10ohm.

Has anyone installed a larger speaker in the stock box, and if so what is the max size both diameter and depth.

What is the Max output of the stock gear and is there a way of adding/replacing the Amp and if so how.

Anyone with a good picture(s) showing what the stock setup looks like with the panels removed?

Listening for the answers.

·
Registered
726 Posts
FairfaxPoker said:
Risky your the first response that even mentions speaker size thanks :wave . Most of us that ask these types of questions or research this topic know the basic principles of speaker replacement and the benefits. What is lacking is the technical details in the responses. I like others would like a little better sound with the stock radio through the speakers, and telling people the same "I can't hear mine above 40mph" does not address the question.

So I have simple questions which I can't seam to find the answers too.

2011 RT stock speaker size =4" correct.
In looking at the parts diagram the housing looks like it is a 2 way speaker with a separate speaker for the base and one for the mids/highs. Correct or not.

What ohm rating is the speaker, is it the typical 4ohm or some wired German thing like a 10ohm.

Has anyone installed a larger speaker in the stock box, and if so what is the max size both diameter and depth.

What is the Max output of the stock gear and is there a way of adding/replacing the Amp and if so how.

Anyone with a good picture(s) showing what the stock setup looks like with the panels removed?

Listening for the answers.
To answer some of your questions....

First. The speaker size I think is 4" I really do not know as I do not have the factory system, I am going on what I have read on BeamerBoonyard web site. As I am trying to but some speaker mounts for a 2009.

Second. I do believe they are 4 ohm

Third. I am not quite sure on adding a amp to your system, but most do have a audio out where you came tie into ( The amp of your choosing ) and pump back the audio back to your up-graded speakers.

Forth. Amp. A amp into the glove box,as long as you are willing to give up that space is a water tight place and will have a OK place so it does not get to hot.
Size of amp is another question. Most amps are Large! A amp that says 500/WATS and is only the size of a POP can is JUNK!
Remember, All Auto amps Lie through there teeth and only The Big Names will come close to what they say as far as usable wattage. .005 or less than is exceptionable (distortion) rate.

Fifth and final opinion. Open up your speakers and see for your self if you can with out cutting to much of the stock bracket away and put in a larger driver. As long as you can seal the air from the front to the back it will move more air thus making more sound.
This practice is used in most custom installs.

When all said and done there is limited space to work with, Stop in and see a custom installer for some hands advise and you will be surprised in hearing the same advice only at $100.00 per hour!

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Risky's suggestions sounds like a great way to go! However, I agree 100% with JayJay...try some inexpensive foam earplugs first.

The foam earplugs cut out all the wind noise and allow you to hear the stock speakers at ANY speed you choose to ride. they also make riding with the stereo turned off more enjoyable and protect you hearing as well. I never ride without them!

Just my $.02!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys.. basically a lurker here for now as I dont have an RT yet..Planning on one next year.
Is there a differnce between the pre 2010 RT radio and the current one or is the windshield just better?
I rode a 2012 gl1800 and r1200rt back to back this year on a busy hiway and the Honda radio was useless at speed.. Cranked up to full volume and I could barely hear it.
On the RT I was amazed how much better it was.. Nowhere near full volume and I could hear it just fine. It was a much quieter ride with no buffeting. I do wear earplugs all the time while riding,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts