BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at Show Chrome, Krome Werks, Kuryakyn, and Ztechnik Trunk Racks for my K1200lt and wondered if anyone out there has installed anything other than the factory BMW Racks?

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
mlovelac said:
I have been looking at Show Chrome, Krome Werks, Kuryakyn, and Ztechnik Trunk Racks for my K1200lt and wondered if anyone out there has installed anything other than the factory BMW Racks?
In addition to those you mentioned, there are also a lot of BMW trunks sporting a rack from the Harley Davidson line. I just did a search, using 'Trunk Rack' as key wording and nearly 300 threads appeared with content regarding trunk racks. There should be some fairly detailed responses there, including usage, installation and likes/dislikes. I only have experience with the BMW OEM unit, with the upper brake light embedded therein. Many folks have added an LED unit to the edge of their specific rack, and connected it to the brake light feature of the LT. A definite plus, IMO. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dick,

Thanks for the response. I did use the search function to look for simillar threads and will have to do that agian. I have contacted the sellers of my previously mentioned Trunk Racks and no one seems willing to commit to their rack fitting my bike, stating that "These racks fit many bikes". I am sure they want to sell their Rack and that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" so they don't want to be making decisions about what may or may not be functional or look like it belongs on the bike as they want to make a sale but still have happy customers. My next step is to contact my local BMW Dealer regarding any experiences they may have with aftermarket racks. I am sure they would prefer that I buy a factory rack or the Ztechnick but if I can get one that fits and looks decent for $69.00 versus $300, I'll opt for the former.

Thanks again,

Mike

·
Registered
61 Posts
Harley rack on my LT

I put the Harley rack on my LT about six weeks ago. The adapters kit is made by Paul Sayegh. The quality of the adapter kit made by Paul is of the highest quality and made to exacting detail. His web site gives very good comprehensive instructions and photos. He is also quick to reply to emails. I was able to purchase the adapter kit only and supplied my own Harley rack and rack bag. The install was very straight forward and took about a half a day.....You really take your time when drilling into painted BMW parts, in the back of your mind all you can think of is $$$.$$

The rack looks very appropriate on the bike and most definitely DOES NOT look like a J.C. Whitney add-on. I was able to get my Harley rack and rack bag on Ebay for about $120.00 and the adapter kit was $69.95 so I have about $200.00 invested in the whole kit.

I took a 1500 mile trip the week after the install. The Harley rack with the expandable rack bag will carry MUCH more cargo then any other rack / bag combination. If you fully fill the bag with your lighter items the LT rides and handles extremely well. This kit is a viable option and the best bargain / value out there. This kit will carry twice the cargo volume of the BMW rack / bag combination and it looks great. If you visit Sayegh's web site you will be impressed. Hope this helps, Steve

Here is the web site and a few pics from the site.

http://www.sayegh.org/bmw/rack.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mike
If you are adding a rack to a early model, seriously consider the Harley rack and their expandable bag designed for it. Both are cheap (by BMW standards), roomy, and top quality. I prefer it to the BMW rack on my '08 and it looks good.

You must extend the feet, but that's pretty easy or Paul Sayegh sells a kit.

http://www.sayegh.org/bmw/rack.ht

·
Registered
349 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Re: Harley rack on my LT

SteveL said:
I put the Harley rack on my LT about six weeks ago. The adapters kit is made by Paul Sayegh. The quality of the adapter kit made by Paul is of the highest quality and made to exacting detail. His web site gives very good comprehensive instructions and photos. He is also quick to reply to emails. I was able to purchase the adapter kit only and supplied my own Harley rack and rack bag. The install was very straight forward and took about a half a day.....You really take your time when drilling into painted BMW parts, in the back of your mind all you can think of is $$$.$$

The rack looks very appropriate on the bike and most definitely DOES NOT look like a J.C. Whitney add-on. I was able to get my Harley rack and rack bag on Ebay for about $120.00 and the adapter kit was $69.95 so I have about $200.00 invested in the whole kit.

I took a 1500 mile trip the week after the install. The Harley rack with the expandable rack bag will carry MUCH more cargo then any other rack / bag combination. If you fully fill the bag with your lighter items the LT rides and handles extremely well. This kit is a viable option and the best bargain / value out there. This kit will carry twice the cargo volume of the BMW rack / bag combination and it looks great. If you visit Sayegh's web site you will be impressed. Hope this helps, Steve

Here is the web site and a few pics from the site.

+1
The hardest part was the drilling the first hole but Paul's instructions were great! :bmw:

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I have the Harley rack and bag and they are great. The new Harley rack I think has a light in it now.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
There are several after market options based on what I've read over the years on this site. There is one that uses the same holes the BMW OEM plastic rack uses.

The first topcase rack available, even before BMW started putting 'em on was Paul S's Harley rack adaptation. I put his HD adaptation on my 2000 about 10 years ago. I've had it over loaded to somewhere between 20 and 30 lbs. with camping gear and then pounded over the pot-holed, frost heaved back roads of northern New England. I fully expected damage, cracking of the top case; not at all.... The rack looks good and is very rugged and functional.
10 years, 83,000 miles and no regrets. Thanks Paul.

Addendum:
from the technical page, accessories: I believe this is the aftermarket rack that uses the same holes that the BMW OEM plastic rack uses. If your bike is already drilled for the OEM rack, this would be a good option.

http://shop.ztechnik.com/cgi-bin/ztech/Z9050.html?search_model=bm-073

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess this is what I get for posting this morning and then going to work all day.

All of you guys are AWESOME with the quick replies and great information. I will get busy and sift through the web links and sites. From what I have seen on the photo's you sent, the Harley Rack with the extensions looks like the solution that I am after. It looks great on the bike and obviously holds a lot more than the BMW Rack. I really appreciate the input from those that have "been there, done that". I'll get on ebay and start looking for the Harley Rack. I have done some looking already and the Tour Pak Rack seems to fall into the "ball park" measurements (12" x 20") that would seem appropriate. Let me know if I am off base here or if you have racks that are larger or smaller. Once again,THANKS!!!!! for the awesome responses, and I will keep you all posted with my progress and submit pictures when I am done.

Mike

CharlieVT said:
There are several after market options based on what I've read over the years on this site. There is one that uses the same holes the BMW OEM plastic rack uses.

The first topcase rack available, even before BMW started putting 'em on was Paul S's Harley rack adaptation. I put his HD adaptation on my 2000 about 10 years ago. I've had it over loaded to somewhere between 20 and 30 lbs. with camping gear and then pounded over the pot-holed, frost heaved back roads of northern New England. I fully expected damage, cracking of the top case; not at all.... The rack looks good and is very rugged and functional.

Addendum:
from the technical page, accessories: I believe this is the aftermarket rack that uses the same holes that the BMW OEM plastic rack uses. If your bike is already drilled for the OEM rack, this would be a good option.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I alway prefer Ztechnik rack over BMW OEM rack since I can carry my bicycle easier on Ztechnik due to existance of a lip on Ztechnik. But installation is not very smooth. You need to enlarge the existing holes for BMW OEM rack.

CharlieVT said:

Addendum:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
mlovelac said:
...... I'll get on ebay and start looking for the Harley Rack.....
Careful..... you don't want to just buy the Harley Rack. Paul S's kit provides specific instructions for mounting the rack on the LT and four machined "feet" which will not come with the rack if you purchase from another source.

So you don't want to just buy the rack on eBay. I don't know Paul S., I just bought his rack a decade ago when it was the only choice for the LT. As I understand it, he did a bulk order of racks, machined up a bunch of the feet which enlarge the surface contact of the rack's legs with the top of the trunk and have the correct angles to match the rack to the curve of the trunk. It is these custom fabricated feet that make the HD rack a superb fit on the LT's top case. Without them the mount won't be as structurally sound and will look like a HD rack stuck on an LT rather than looking like it was made for the LT.

Scroll down on this the page linked below for pics and installation instructions:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Which Harley rack?

The Harley rack adapter kit from Paul Sayegh contains four precision machined feet that will only fit with the correct Harley rack. The adapter kit adapts the angles of the harley rack legs to the curves of the LT trunk lid and add the clearance to prevent the rack from rubbing against the LT's paint. The adapters are aircraft quality machined aluminum and I am sure the machining time to make the feet far exceeds the amount charged for this level of quality machine work.

I belive the rack needed is the Harley Davidson HD Premium Tour-Pak Luggage Rack part No. is ( Rack-53665-87 ) There are many non-Harley nock off copies of this rack out there for less $$ then Harley wants for theirs.

Sayegh has the correct rack and bags available through his web site at a good price.

STEVE

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Harley rack here ... Paul lives within 10 miles of me so just dropped by to say Hi and pay him some coin. Mind you this was @ 6 years ago.

L.E.D. brake light a PILOT brand in window that cost about $30

Attachments

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I installed the Ztechnik rack on my 99 LT without issues...

It's far heavier duty than most of the others..

John

·
Registered
362 Posts

Here here I put a stock rack on mine 8-9 years ago and drilling the first hole took over an hour
:)
PMitchell said:
+1
The hardest part was the drilling the first hole but Paul's instructions were great! :bmw:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I installed the Ztecnik on my '99 LT. I used their template, located, measured and checked it several times. Then I went in and had lunch before I came back and looked at it again. When I got it where I wanted I lightly center punched it and drilled with a Forstner bit to get a clean hole and not have the drill bit get pulled into the material. I noticed the Harley rack mounts through the vinyl material which doesn't seem to give a firm mounting point. The Ztecknik brake light is very noticeable but not over stated. I found the brake light wire under the rear seat and spliced in there, ran the wire up the front of the trunk with the other wires going into the trunk lid. Later model LT's already have the wires for the luggage rack brake light tucked in behind the vanity mirror. After you get it mounted be careful when you open the trunk with weight strapped to the rack. It will fall forward pretty hard and possibly break something. :bmw:

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts

tsBMWminer said:
Here here I put a stock rack on mine 8-9 years ago and drilling the first hole took over an hour
:)
It wasn't difficult just that I felt that I was violating the ol gal. Same feeling when I mounted a rack on the K75.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
av8trto said:
....I noticed the Harley rack mounts through the vinyl material which doesn't seem to give a firm mounting point..... :bmw:
I was a little concerned about mounting the rack on the vinyl back in 2000 when I did it. Absolutely no problem after many years and miles of use. This is not a reason to avoid the Paul's Harley rack adaption if it looks like the right rack for someone.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts