BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Looking to get my hands on a pair (or better still, THREE) J&M headsets and connecting leads suitable for flip type helmets, for use with my 2003 LT

Can anyone help?

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
PM sent. I don't have any leads, but I do have the headset.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Hi Guys,

Looking to get my hands on a pair (or better still, THREE) J&M headsets and connecting leads suitable for flip type helmets, for use with my 2003 LT

Can anyone help?
If you are looking for new, I would contact J&M. I believe they still sell these. At least for the later model LTs like my 07. Not sure about your 03.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Just wondering why you would want to use an old fashioned tethered headset when you can go cable free. I just bought myself a Sena 30K and so far it seems fantastic. It has voice activation and even has a great built in FM radio. You get in helmet GPS directs and of course voice activated speed dialing for your phone. No cables to get tangled in and no modifications to be made to your bike.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
Just wondering why you would want to use an old fashioned tethered headset when you can go cable free. I just bought myself a Sena 30K and so far it seems fantastic. It has voice activation and even has a great built in FM radio. You get in helmet GPS directs and of course voice activated speed dialing for your phone. No cables to get tangled in and no modifications to be made to your bike.
How long do the batteries last? I ride 10-12 hour days and don't want to have to recharge helmets.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
I still use corded headsets for a few reasons, nothing to do with old fashioned, but everything to performance and convenience.

1. No batteries to run down before the riding ends. Very few BT headsets will last 10 hours in real world use when new. After five years of use, the battery life will be significantly less. By 10 years of age, the battery life will likely be completely impractical for a real traveler. My BMW (J&M) headsets still work 24 hours a day at 11 years of age. My prior Kawasaki headsets (Clarion, if memory serves) worked 24 hours a day at 17 years of age.

2. No batteries to recharge every night and extra chargers to carry. I already have to carry a 4 port charger for two iPhones and two iPads.

3. Much less bulk on the helmet.

4. No fiddling required while riding.

5. Much lower initial cost and much greater useful life.

If the above attributes are old fashioned, then I'm happy to be old fashioned. Newer isn't always better. :grin:

Sure, wireless has its advantages such as no cords to deal with and the ability to talk bike to bike if close together. However, I can easily get off my bike without unplugging my headset cable and remove my helmet. I rarely unplug it other that in the morning and at the end of the days ride. And the cable is unobtrusive while riding.

For me, corded advantages still far outweigh wireless advantages. Unfortunately, most new bikes only offer BT, which is a pain and will likely force me to the inferior BT technology when I replace my LT.:smile:

·
Registered
576 Posts
Well I should have known better than to describe it as old fashioned. I'm a fine one to speak. I use fountain pens for most of my writing and I like nothing better than to put an old vinyl record on my vintage Akai system.
I actually have to agree with most of what you are saying here Voyager and I have to admit that I haven't had a chance to test them fully. I only got the head set two days ago but from what I have read about them the Sena system has pretty good battery life and one owner stated that he was only needing to charge it once a week, but then how much use it had in a week he really didn't say.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Well I should have known better than to describe it as old fashioned. I'm a fine one to speak. I use fountain pens for most of my writing and I like nothing better than to put an old vinyl record on my vintage Akai system.
I actually have to agree with most of what you are saying here Voyager and I have to admit that I haven't had a chance to test them fully. I only got the head set two days ago but from what I have read about them the Sena system has pretty good battery life and one owner stated that he was only needing to charge it once a week, but then how much use it had in a week he really didn't say.
A fountain pen? Now that's funny! :surprise:

Seriously, I've used BT only once and they were Sena 10 rentals. They often lost connection during the day and battery life was about 8 hours. Once we forgot to charge one and it died the next day before lunch. We were only riding 4-6 hours a day in Scotland. I have no idea of the age of these units. I just thought dealing with two more chargers and the bulk of the units which made them hard to fit in the side cases was more hassle than plugging in cords a couple times a day.

Please share your experiences here as you use them more. I would be more inclined towards BT if there was a unit with an easily replaceable battery pack so that you didn't have to buy an entire new headset after 5-8 years when the batteries have degraded 30-50%.

·
Registered
576 Posts
A fountain pen? Now that's funny! :surprise:

Seriously, I've used BT only once and they were Sena 10 rentals. They often lost connection during the day and battery life was about 8 hours. Once we forgot to charge one and it died the next day before lunch. We were only riding 4-6 hours a day in Scotland. I have no idea of the age of these units. I just thought dealing with two more chargers and the bulk of the units which made them hard to fit in the side cases was more hassle than plugging in cords a couple times a day.

Please share your experiences here as you use them more. I would be more inclined towards BT if there was a unit with an easily replaceable battery pack so that you didn't have to buy an entire new headset after 5-8 years when the batteries have degraded 30-50%.
Well it's a Montblanc Meisterstuck 149 and it's just a beautifully made classic pen.
I believe there is a vast difference between the old Senas and the latest 30K version. They claim a 13 hour talk time. Running in Mesh mode they claim 8 hours of constant talk time.
As a bit of a test tonight I have had the FM radio turned on constantly for 6 hours tonight and it says the battery level is still high.

I understand what you are saying about 5-8 years but how many of us keep a mobile phone that long. Most of us flip them for the next best thing within a year or two. That's the sad thing about modern technology, it progresses quickly and will never be considered classic or vintage, just forgotten and replaced by the next bright new thing.

Hell I'm 60 next year, my Father passed away at 66. My new head set might just outlive me:grin:

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Well it's a Montblanc Meisterstuck 149 and it's just a beautifully made classic pen.
I believe there is a vast difference between the old Senas and the latest 30K version. They claim a 13 hour talk time. Running in Mesh mode they claim 8 hours of constant talk time.
As a bit of a test tonight I have had the FM radio turned on constantly for 6 hours tonight and it says the battery level is still high.

I understand what you are saying about 5-8 years but how many of us keep a mobile phone that long. Most of us flip them for the next best thing within a year or two. That's the sad thing about modern technology, it progresses quickly and will never be considered classic or vintage, just forgotten and replaced by the next bright new thing.

Hell I'm 60 next year, my Father passed away at 66. My new head set might just outlive me:grin:
Definitely curious to hear your experience as you use the 30 for a while. I read an early review where the tester only got 4.5 hours in mesh mode with three other 30s and 8 hours in non-mesh mode.

I am just not a throwaway person. I am writing this on a 5.5 year old iPad mini. I'm upgrading only because Apple quit providing iOS updates and the battery life is 50% of new and isn't easily replaced. My iPhone 5 still works after 3.5 years, but battery life has degraded noticeably. I dislike planned/forced obsolescence and avoid such products when possible.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Guys,

Can anyone help?
I have two installed in helmets with tether cables. I would love to sell the helmets also. They are XXXL and L. The XXXL is a Scorpion. Can't recall the other, but would get you all the information if you are at all interested.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi Guys,

Can anyone help?

I have the leads if you still need them.

M

·
Registered
389 Posts
My ‘03 K1200LT is wired for these J&M headsets which have always worked flawlessly and never require battery re-charging.

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
Not sure what happened to the OP. I sent him/her PM, but haven't heard a thing.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
My ‘03 K1200LT is wired for these J&M headsets which have always worked flawlessly and never require battery re-charging.
Well, after 11 years and 70,000 miles, my wife's headset starting generating a lot of static on the ride to CCR. I swapped cords with hers and the static transferred to me so I am pretty sure it is her cord set. I then swapped just the lower cords and the static went back to her headset so I am pretty sure it is the lower. The new one from J&M arrived today. A little pricey at $80, but made in Japan rather than China and I will pay for Japanese quality any day.

So, I can no longer say my J&M headsets have been trouble-free, but given that I would likely be well into a second set of BT headsets by now at a cost of close to $500, the $80 cable is a bargain. I just hope I got it right and this fixes the problem.

One thing I like about J&M is the customer service. When I send an email, more often than not it is the owner (John) who replies. I wasn't sure I had found the correct cord as BMW isn't listed any longer on the cords, but John replied the same day and I ordered the cord the next day. It almost beat us home from CCR. That is my kind of company.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts