BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks useful, not sure how it would be in the curves...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The second picture at first glance makes it look like the bag is sitting on the ground, but that is just the way the picture was taken.

I too am interested in this type of tail rack. A cooler of beer or fish on ice from Key West would fit there nicely...

·
Registered
189 Posts
License plate from the Venice region in Italy.
I mentionned this thread on their LT website. Maybe some answers will come...

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I think that it is standard trunk rack - made for perhaps a small European car. It looks similar to the Harley PA Tour King rack but larger and deeper.

Without support from the bottom I could never trust two thin walled tubes to support any weight. On every bump it will flex.

Over the years there have been several clever home brewed designs. To my knowledge none have ever been commercially marketed.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have the DMC Sidecar trailer hitch and made my own luggage/bowling ball rack ... the first one I made was light and small ... but could only hold a 1 ball bag ... since I normally carry 3 bowling balls, I decide to make it custom to fit my 3 ball bag ... it's 31" wide by 14" deep ... only problem was the bowling balls blocked the taillights ... not a good thing ... soooooo .. I added two LED oval tail lights wired to the trailer lights ... works great ... just happens to hold the Copilots suitcase too ... LOL ... the advantage to putting the luggage there is that the weight is very low ... no issues cornering

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FuzzyWuzHe said:
I have the DMC Sidecar trailer hitch and made my own luggage/bowling ball rack ... the first one I made was light and small ... but could only hold a 1 ball bag ... since I normally carry 3 bowling balls, I decide to make it custom to fit my 3 ball bag ... it's 31" wide by 14" deep ... only problem was the bowling balls blocked the taillights ... not a good thing ... soooooo .. I added two LED oval tail lights wired to the trailer lights ... works great ... just happens to hold the Copilots suitcase too ... LOL ... the advantage to putting the luggage there is that the weight is very low ... no issues cornering
Got any pictures?

·
Registered
517 Posts
There has been some Photoshop work done on the second picture for some reason. If you look at the shadows under the lower rung of the gate and also under the flowers hanging over the wall in the background of the picture, you can see soft shadows on the ground. There are none on the ground under the bike and there should be with the right saddle bag opened and luggage being close to the dirt. That's also the reason the above poster first thought the bag was actually on the ground, it looks that way because there is nothing to show any separation from the ground.

Can't imagine why it's been done, but as I did image retouching for the last 15 years of my photography career I can spot it easily.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Has anyone considered the results from exhaust pipe.
Again I'm no engineer but whatever goes on that rack would suffer soot/constant heat. Also in some states or local cops a hassel might be expected without the tail lights being beyond the rear extremity of the load. Finally rain, slush and road salt might have some say in the location :confused:
ride safe :bmw:

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think with the LT's tail pipe being curved down sooting would be minimal, but I wouldn't put my Sunday best out there if it was me, but a tent or a cooler or camp stove, that works. As far as it sticking out past the tail lights, I think you'd have as much chance of a LEO bothering you as you do in an SUV with one of those hitch racks or a car with a bike rack installed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is my home made rack. I used stainless steel angle and aluminum mesh. Exhaust pipe points down and does not affect the rack. Added a led light bar to the rack and plugs into the trailer plug.
Its holding a 50lb. feed bag.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
mooney3025 said:
This is my home made rack. I used stainless steel angle and aluminum mesh. Exhaust pipe points down and does not affect the rack. Added a led light bar to the rack and plugs into the trailer plug.
I noticed my mother in law was over for a visit. She's one of the two with the horns and the long chin whiskers. (before anyone gets their panties all bunched up re: my mother in law comment you need to meet her first. Then you'll know)

Any chance you could pencil up a drawing of the rack and the mount? Looks very handy.

Loren

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
mooney3025 said:
Agreed this rack looks more sturdy.
I like the ground clearance. I too would like to see a picture/diagram of the rack before being attached with specs. Maybe 2 holes in back would allow the license plate to be re-positioned when the load gets to big to block its current position.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Agree ..... License plate MUST NOT BE COVERED !!
Good idea and location otherwise IMO.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I made this rack to use with my water proof duffle bag for a trip out to Colorado with the girlfriend as I could not afford a trailer at the time. The bag did not hide the plate but my cooler does. I have bought a used trailer and love it.
My experience with Johnny Law, I have had a lot of meetings with them this past year, is that your a old guy on a touring bike and I usually get a lecture.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Men showing off their racks! Really? :D

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I really like the idea of having a rack on my bike. What about those of us who dont have ANY hitch installed? Any suggestions for how to make an attachment that would be easy on/off?

Loren

1 - 20 of 24 Posts