BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was cleaning up my tools and work area after finishing my 24K (and more) maintenance, I found this plastic cap lying on the floor on the left side of the LT about mid-bike. I don’t recall seeing anything like this on the bike and have no idea where it came from. Anyone recognize this? Looks almost like a vacuum fitting cap, although it seems kind of short for that.

Hopefully, it is nothing of importance. :grin:

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,247 Posts
Never seen it before, what does it taste like?

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reactions: CheezNbeer

·
Registered
500 Posts
Looks like one of the caps for the abs module. I think it has like 4 or something.
Easy to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Axle

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Never seen something like that to date on an LT.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like one of the caps for the abs module. I think it has like 4 or something.
Easy to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was my first though also, but my ABS bleed valve covers are much thicker rubber with a dull sheen and all are in place. This cap is thin vinyl and very glossy on the outside. It may be from one of the parts of my MityVac kit.

Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
717 Posts
Inspecting the inside of it may give another clue to what it might be.
If it smells like gasoline, it could be a vacuum cap.
If it has thread marks, it could just be a rub guard that went on the end of the bolt/screw.
From the image, it looks like it is not cut square which leads me to believe it is something that has been discarded.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I too was going to vote for the ABS module bleeder tube caps. On my 2004 there are two pointing toward the rear of the bike.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ground junction post caps behind the battery ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
On my GSA and I also believe on my RT, the carb has a small silver looking screw (I recall right side). The rubber piece you show is round; on my 2013 GSA, the rubber piece is formed to the same shape as the hexagon shaped screw head. Yours appears to be the same size as my hexagon cap. I don't believe it's critical; honestly, I can't figure out why BMW uses it. My rubber cap and screw is located on top of the carb near the engine frame and sandwiched in front of a couple of cables.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts