BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I purchased bike, dealer had no idea what this is for, either.

Have fun,
Jer

·
Registered
835 Posts
It might help to have a wider view of the object and what part of the bike it's on. Doesn't look familiar though.
Some kind of intercom perhaps ??

·
Registered
201 Posts
What he said. No idea where this is mounted, unless that's the very bottom of the license plate frame at the top edge of the pic?

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
It appears to be just below the license plate bracket with a mud flap extension. The bracket appears beefier than the mudflap.
Would could it be? Hmmmm...

·
Registered
201 Posts
It's a CNC'd piece of anodized aluminum, it appears. Anything on the other side to give a hint? It appears to me that it's set down into a channel and therefore would allow something to be slid onto it allowing for the larger area at the bottom. As that appears to be a flap extension, perhaps this is a cover for a hidden hitch on the other side, and this would let you attach the extension somewhere while you use the hitch? Or a flag mount, or extra brake light? Can someone please just tell me so I can sleep?

Reactions: kbob12

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's attached to the mud flap on a '97 K1100LT. I don't think the plastic would support any type of hitch. Also, when I remove the 2-nuts, the piece does not come off. Appears to be held firmly in place and plastic behind it is formed to accept it. Here's a better pic:

Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
68 Posts
Didn't someone make a rear mounted gas tank for these bikes at some point, could that be it?

I Like the flag pole idea.. would make sense and would put in the middle of the bike.. might be that.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I'd be tempted to remove and see what is on other side, markings, also the small screw is holding something onto the back. On my 92 the plate was mounted lower covering that area.

·
Registered
835 Posts
It will be the fuel tank idea. In my opinion the ugliest piece of design work ever developed for the LT.
On the back side of your mud flap is the word ACERBIS. If you google that it comes up as a bulk fuel tank company and my bet is they branched out at some point and made those ugly rear tanks for the LT.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts