BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I am just getting into LT maintenance, it looks to me like the centerstand pivots could be drilled & tapped for grease fittings pretty easily.
This would make subsequent greasings pretty easy.
A good while back, I had Yamaha venture royales, & it was common to install grease fittings on the rear suspension on them, to make annual maintenance much easier.
It seems a real bear to get my bike up on the stand. So, I'll be pulling my centerstand down to lube it, & the design looks like fittings will work.
Has anyone done/tried it?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
I was given some small needle, drive in, type fittings that would work really well but I never installed them. There is not enough clearance for typical zerk fittings. Plus they are sealed with o-rings and it would be hard to push old grease out past them.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
WD-40 works just fine for me. Never had a problem with my manual centre stand on my '03
If spraying WD-40 helps it move easier then your o-ring are gone.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It seems a real bear to get my bike up on the stand.
When I first brought my LT home, i started doing the routine maintenance on it. Mine was extremely difficult to put up on the center stand. It took 2 men and a little kid to do it. While looking over Kurt's videos on YouTube, I came across one on servicing the hydraulic rear shock. After I did this procedure, mine now goes up on the stand with very little effort. That;'s been a year ago and it still works fantastic. Might be worth a try before drilling into the stand.

·
Registered
181 Posts
No, I didn't do it and I wish I thought of it last year when took it off to cut is shorter, to match the lower suspension.
For that mater, I had problems removing the flat head screw that is from inside out,(2008 RT) and had to drill it out.
Not an easy task considering the limited space! Will keep in mind next time. (if I don't forget...)

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
If spraying WD-40 helps it move easier then your o-ring are gone.
I always thought the center stand had a grease fitting, but it is the side stand that can be greased. I had to look at the repair manual to confirm.

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
A quick test to see if your stand needs lube or the shock preload needs service can be done on the side stand. On the side stand reach up and pull the center stand down as far as you can and then release. It should snap right back up to the rubber stops. If it doesn't then you need to service it. The screws that hold the pivot pucks in have blue loctite so apply a little heat where the threads are in the center stand frame.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, my rear shock preload does need to be refilled.
While I haven't done that yet, I will when I pull it to put on the HyperPro springs.
I'll be getting a new rear tire too(Shinko 777HD).
Each of those should make it easier to get up on the centerstand(hopefully).

If not, I'll be pulling it to grease it.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
You do not need to pull the shock to fill the preload adjuster. Good test on this is also easy. Just loosen the knob all the way then turn to increase preload. If you don't feel resistance within one turn you need to refill with oil.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I refilled my MT preload adjuster today, but I'm still cannot get the LT up on the center stand alone. I've watched Kirk's video, where he & then his wife pop it up on the stand. I don't get it. I must be going something wrong. I'm actually considering putting a loop in my shop ceiling & using a come-along to lift the grab rail, while I stand on the center stand & balance the bike. This is frustrating for me. I can always get someone to help, but shouldn't have to...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thx Saddleman! What a simple solution!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Recently I removed the top case off of my LT.
While I have been using a 2x6 assist to get it up on center stand, I gave it a try without.
Success!!!
I guess removing the 35# trunk pushed it over the edge for my aged self!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I ride mine up on a piece of 3/4" plywood. Pops up easy..

Reactions: PMitchell

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts