BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From a previously "hijacked" thread I asked the above question in regards to a hidden key on the bike. Just curious, as I leave my key in the ignition most of the time, does anyone have first hand knowledge of this happening?

Buying a 1999 model for way below list from your neighbor does not constitute stolen!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Had the same thought...

I leave my key in all the time, unless I'm overnight some where. When I stop for lunch, I take my jacket off and cover the tankbag, gps and key. I never lock my saddlebags or trunk either unless it's overnight somewhere, then I strip it!

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
Having learned to ride in Paris I always lock the bike, and since my 05 has central locking I also Always lock the bags as well.
My GPS on the BMR shelf has a lock mount as well. I usually lock the helmets too.
Locks keep honest people honest, and the last thing you want is to have one or both helmets stolen while you are 100s of miles away from home, especially in a state with helmet law.
I learned the hard way...
With that said I am not too fearful on the "truck" being taken, thanks to its weight. I am more concerned about the gear on and about the bike.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I like to lock mine and most times I will set the alarm as also.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Don't know - I've never left a bike unlocked - bags/forks/disk.... and if I'm off of it for more than an hour, I always cover it too...

I had one of my Techs at Oregon Health & Science Hospital riding a stock HD, less than a year old, with a chain in the ft rim - have it stolen from the COVERED employee parking lot - in view of cameras. Truck had the plates off & thieves never showed a face....

·
Registered
635 Posts
dandiver said:
From a previously "hijacked" thread I asked the above question in regards to a hidden key on the bike. Just curious, as I leave my key in the ignition most of the time, does anyone have first hand knowledge of this happening?

Buying a 1999 model for way below list from your neighbor does not constitute stolen!
It seems to me that leaving the key in the ignition is asking for trouble. I lock everything.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I used to lock mine all the time when I first got it. Now I seldom even take the key with me. I do lock up my riding gear if I don't feel comfortable where I stop - but that just depends. I am especially wary at dealerships.

I have offered to let H-D riding friends take test rides on my LT but they always decline because: it's too big, I ain't riding nothin I can't see the front tire on (my favorite), don't want to ride no Jap/German/Italian bike, ......... . Given it would take someone that either owned one or worked for a dealership that would feel comfortable riding one so I don't think it would be an impulse thing. And, other than parting one out - how are they going to get rid of it. Knowing how cheap BMW riders are, they would have to fight for every dollar for every part - and pay the shipping.

Wonder if the insurance companies would share their loss information with us regarding LT thefts?

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
I want to trust people, but experience tells me otherwise.

We had our locked K100LT saddlebags and trunk broken into in Paris and our helmets and other stuff stolen. Dayle says the most terrifying thing she's done was riding back through Paris traffic at midnight with no helmets.

On the LT, I always kept a cable or chain behind the passenger seat with my cover. When traveling, it took only a minute to lock the helmets and jackets through the saddlebag handles (bags were usually full when on the road) then throw on the cover. That way, we could have lunch or do the tourist stuff at leisure and without carrying or worrying about anything.

I usually won't bother with the alarm, unless I'm parked overnight at some random motel.

Sure, most people are trustworthy and you may never have a problem. But then again, it only takes one jerk to ruin your whole day.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I've never "heard" of an LT stolen,
but it seems leaving the key is an invitation for some moron to "try it out"

I don't think I'd want to tell the insurance company "I left the key in it"
they probably have some "fine print" regarding that.

I had a Harley stolen in Phoenix back in 1974, that changed my perspective "forever"
And then there was that time when I came out of a bar and somebody was trying to kickstart my HD (forks were locked, ignition wasn't)
He was dealt with appropriately....... lets just call it "frontier justice"

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Never heard of a stolen LT, but leaving the key in the ignition could be considered negligence if the bike was stolen by a someone and crashed causing serious injury or death. Here in Charlotte, NC it is illegal to leave your car runnning with the keys in the ignition.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
I have lost two bikes to thieves, they ain't gona get this one! I lock it but I have a spare key in a strategic place. Set the central locking and if it is a suspect area I also set the alarm (not that anyone pays attention to it when it goes off).

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
jzeiler said:
I have lost two bikes to thieves, they ain't gona get this one! I lock it but I have a spare key in a strategic place. Set the central locking and if it is a suspect area I also set the alarm (not that anyone pays attention to it when it goes off).
I'm not gonna make it easy for 'em, so at a motel or someplace away from home, I remove the key; lock the lockable thangs; put ole Toad in reverse; fit the EZ Touring Wanderer cover on and go to sleep. To me, this removes any doubt that I did what I can do, and Mr/Mrs insurance person can git on with gittin' on. No spare key on ole Toad - it's in my wallet. BTW - I haven't any first hand knowledge, nor anecdotal, that anyone I know has had their bike stolen. I used to maintain a link to a website that supposedly keeps up with that info - not sure how current they kept it tho. And obviously, I can't find it now!! :(

·
Registered
99 Posts
I hate scumbags!

Why give sub-humans a free pass to making your life more complicated and expensive? Maybe one of them will get hurt riding off with your bike a sue your a$$.

On base, I lock and alarm my bike everyday w/o exception.

At home, my bike stays locked and alarmed inside the garage so if someone messes with it while I'm not home, the alarm could alert a neighbor or scare off the perp. I do this with all my vehicles as well.

The keys to all the vehicles stay locked in the safe while not in use, so the piece of human excrement can't ride off with any of my vehicles. I really hate human excrements!

·
Registered
499 Posts
cccpastorjack said:
Never heard of a stolen LT, but leaving the key in the ignition could be considered negligence if the bike was stolen by a someone and crashed causing serious injury or death. Here in Charlotte, NC it is illegal to leave your car runnning with the keys in the ignition.
Very unfortunate but true the parents of some joy ridding thief may end up with most your assets if you leave the key in the ignition and the kid crashes or gets killed - it's your fault, because you enticed them to a life of crime.

Dave

·
Registered
96 Posts
I doubt if the average bike thief could steal an LT, unless he had previous experience. The bike would be on it's side within 100 yards.

·
Registered
185 Posts
OneShot said:
Why give sub-humans a free pass to making your life more complicated and expensive? Maybe one of them will get hurt riding off with your bike a sue your a$$.

On base, I lock and alarm my bike everyday w/o exception.

At home, my bike stays locked and alarmed inside the garage so if someone messes with it while I'm not home, the alarm could alert a neighbor or scare off the perp. I do this with all my vehicles as well.

The keys to all the vehicles stay locked in the safe while not in use, so the piece of human excrement can't ride off with any of my vehicles. I really hate human excrements!
Knoxville must be a crime-ridden craphole, either that or you're paranoid. :)

. . . not that there is anything wrong with that. :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Greetings all

When I'm forced to stay overnight in an area less savoury than some, I select reverse and take the round selector with me. It's a very minor inconvenience to make things a little harder for those that would target the Bismarck.

Kindest regards to all.

Paul Harrington
AU
E: [email protected]

1 - 20 of 47 Posts