BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know a dealer with 2009 (10) K12LT?

As you can see from the attached pics, I believe that State Farm will total my 2005 (with 73k). So, this is what happens when a K12 hits a stopped cage in a 35MPH zone, with no signal, and a panic stop to make an abrupt left turn. :mad:

Oh yeah, Broken nose (had a full face Nolan, but hit the top of the windshield), bruised chest cavity, bump on left shin, and sprained left wrist.

I bounced back about 3 feet, and the bike fell hard to the left, throwing me into oncoming traffic, 6 - 8 feet. Nolan took a hit on the pavement, so a new N103 is in my future.

35 years, 248,000 miles. and it happened so freakin fast............

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,797 Posts
WOW. The LT (and you) took a real shot. Glad to hear you are relatively unscathed.

There are some lessons in this for all of us, especially about wearing a helmet.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Glad your OK. Get a new bike and helmet.. Your fortunate the cagers didnt eat you out there.

oh btw- I see by your signature and those pics you posted...

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker
I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER

did the trailer ya got the bike on... have any of dem LIVE TO RIDE stickers? :D J/K!

IF you find a dealer with a 2011 K 12LT...., would ya lets us know?

the room is waiting with baited breath.... :D

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haughty said:
Glad your OK. Get a new bike and helmet.. Your fortunate the cagers didnt eat you out there.

oh btw- I see by your signature and those pics you posted...

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker
I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER

did the trailer ya got the bike on... have any of dem LIVE TO RIDE stickers? :D J/K!

IF you find a dealer with a 2011 K 12LT...., would ya lets us know?

the room is waiting with baited breath.... :D

I know, I edited to '09-'10, but the overall Title did not change. I use that trailer for 911 MC recovery, it is set up with two baxley chocks, and occasionally, my wife and I take our bikes (with mucho other stuff) to visit our kids in NY and VA.

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Aw get ya some rubbing compound and that'll do the trick!

Looks like the bike took the brunt of the accident and glad that you are just bumped up a little. Wonder what will happen to the salvageable parts?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dandiver said:
Aw get ya some rubbing compound and that'll do the trick!

Looks like the bike took the brunt of the accident and glad that you are just bumped up a little. Wonder what will happen to the salvageable parts?

good question. The freakin engine was (is) running so sweet! it started right up after I stood it back up, and just purred. never a hint of final drive issues, or clutch slip. I really dont see them fixing it though, everything up in there is just crushed.

·
Premium Member
7,526 Posts
Re: Anyone know a dealer with 2009 (10) K12LT?

mconlogue said:
As you can see from the attached pics, I believe that State Farm will total my 2005 (with 73k). So, this is what happens when a K12 hits a stopped cage in a 35MPH zone, with no signal, and a panic stop to make an abrupt left turn. :mad:

Oh yeah, Broken nose (had a full face Nolan, but hit the top of the windshield), bruised chest cavity, bump on left shin, and sprained left wrist.

I bounced back about 3 feet, and the bike fell hard to the left, throwing me into oncoming traffic, 6 - 8 feet. Nolan took a hit on the pavement, so a new N103 is in my future.

Gotta watch those left turning cages. David Hough has written about that quite a bit. They can cut you off in a heart beat.

·
Registered
910 Posts
A left hander pulling out in front of you..has always been my biggest fear.
Im reallt glad your ok.
You sure the bike isnt easily repairable? (some how I feel like Clark Griswold's Eddy asking to keep the chair- just re-cover the chair after the cat blew up)..

Sure is still a beauty tho= when ya replace all the stuff on front...

·
Registered
444 Posts
mconlogue I am glad you are ok. That is my biggest fear (like haughty) while driving and a cage get in the way just like that. I am surprise that you broke your nose with a full face, helmet but I am glad you had a full face could be worse. Good gear makes a big difference on those occasions. Have a good recovery and good luck finding a new bike. Let us know what happends with the insurance and your recovery.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,157 Posts
Sorry about the pains and aches Mark, but glad you are relatively unscathed!
The bike can (and I am sure) will be replaced.
Make sure the insurance also buys you new riding gear!
Maybe Tony (Deputy521 would like to buy your bike and part it out... Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
zippy_gg said:
Sorry about the pains and aches Mark, but glad you are relatively unscathed!
The bike can (and I am sure) will be replaced.
Make sure the insurance also buys you new riding gear!
Maybe Tony (Deputy521 would like to buy your bike and part it out... Just a thought.
it would be an awesome source for Tony, all service up to date. (less than 500 miles on all fluid changes :( ) but, we will see next Tuesday what happens with the adjuster.
Spinedr. the visor was up on my Nolan, as it was 92 degrees, the '05 has a short windshield, so it slid off the chin piece, and came up under my nose.

I did have my chiro adjustment this morning with DR Reeder (Lewiston ME) and feel much better tonight. Ribs are very tender though...

·
Registered
1,989 Posts

mconlogue said:

When I first read your account I had the impression you rear-ended the car, because you state it stopped abruptly to make a left (so it would be in your lane). Others seem to think it turned left in front of you - just curious which is it?

Glad you weren't hurt more seriously - although a broken nose isn't too much fun. BMW has attractive financing through June 1:) .

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
and... The mechanic and 3 others who helped me offload this morning had never seen anything quite like this. Fred indicated that it was as bad damage as he had seen to the front end of a bike. when i turned the bars, you could watch the fork springs flexing where the fork tubes used to be, and the wheel staying put.....

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Ted said:
When I first read your account I had the impression you rear-ended the car, because you state it stopped abruptly to make a left (so it would be in your lane). Others seem to think it turned left in front of you - just curious which is it?

Glad you weren't hurt more seriously - although a broken nose isn't too much fun. BMW has attractive financing through June 1:) .

rear ender. i caught the last 6 inches of his bumper. he was cool, but when the cops and i checked, he didn't seem to have many lights working in the rear....

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Ted said:

i have a free airline ticket, and will drive back from wherever. the wrist should be able to clutch in 3-5 days, and then i am good to go.

my local dealer does not have (nor will he order) a K12.

the nearest one is at Max BMW in NH. (other issues there....) i have not done any phone dealing yet, as I do not know what the total $$ figure is for the wreck.

I should be back on the road within the next 2 weeks (i hope)

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Bob's BMW has a '09 in his inventory, and Hebert Cycle in Baton Rouge, LA had one last time I was in there for a service check. I think the rumor mill has the 2010(11) as a K1600 not a K1200

·
Premium Member
7,797 Posts
Mathias BMW (New Philadelphia, OH) had 2 '09 LTs when I was there a couple of weeks ago. Worth a call, if you want to shop that far away.

www.mathiasbmw.com

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
tbarstow said:
Check with Irv Seaver BMW in Orange, CA, or Brown BMW in Pomona, CA. I know there's one sitting at Irv's.
I saw a black 09 LT at Browns this week. I will be there tomorrow and will see if it is still there.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts