BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past I have my radar detector velcro'd down and would lean over and plug in the phone jack style of wire when in use. This year it's time to make an improvement. I bought a few items for this project:
1. A"waterproof" black box with the clear windows on either end.
2. The accessory screamer small speaker
3. A wiring kit that provides an additional light when the radar detector goes off that can be placed wherever you choose.
So here's the deal. I don't want to lean over and plug in the radar detector on the fly not to mention worry when it rains. I want to hardwire this thing where all I have to do is flip the switch (i.e. toggle switch, etc). I'm thinking of running two toggle switches, one for the radar detector itself and one for the external speaker so I could flip it off while riding through town. Anyone see any issues with two switches? My main question is, does anyone have a good solution for a way or a place to mount these switches. It should be in a place where the wiring to the switches could be protected from weather. I'm thinking under the copilot accessory shelf by the instruments. Maybe I should go and have someone fabricate something of metal like a simple 90 degree and drill holes to mount the switches and then mount the whole thing under the copilot shelf? Then again aluminum would be better so it wouldn't rust? Should be about the same thickness as the copilot shelf so it is nice and sturdy. Then again maybe some square stock with just enough room inside to allow for the switches and wiring with only the ends open .....mounted under the copilot shelf. As you can see I'm just tossing out ideas. How has anyone else mounted toggle switches? While I'm at it, I bought a single pole switch from radio shack just to eyeball the situation and it lights up and says 30 amp on the side of it. I'm guessing this is not the right switch for me? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I just re-wired mine awhile back. I connected the hot lead from the detector to the hot lead going to my head lights. That way when I turn the key off, detector goes off. I elected not to go with the screamer, but visual alert led's that set on top of my waterproof detector box.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
if you don't do as Raz suggests, you can put the toggle switch in the topcase/glovebox. That's where I put mine for my foglights--on the left vertical side next to the single CD player.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the good input. As of late, considering mounting it right into the fairing just below headlight adjustment knob. I found someone else did that and it looked pretty clean. I'm not worried so much about the radar detector always being on because I could wire it to something that is only "on" after I turn the key. The radar screamer is another story. Definitely want a switch on that so I can turn it off while at lower speeds going through small towns. Additional input is welcome but thanks for the info above.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Ised8m said:
In the past I have my radar detector velcro'd down and would lean over and plug in the phone jack style of wire when in use. This year it's time to make an improvement. I bought a few items for this project:
1. A"waterproof" black box with the clear windows on either end.
2. The accessory screamer small speaker
3. A wiring kit that provides an additional light when the radar detector goes off that can be placed wherever you choose.
So here's the deal. I don't want to lean over and plug in the radar detector on the fly not to mention worry when it rains. I want to hardwire this thing where all I have to do is flip the switch (i.e. toggle switch, etc). I'm thinking of running two toggle switches, one for the radar detector itself and one for the external speaker so I could flip it off while riding through town. Anyone see any issues with two switches? My main question is, does anyone have a good solution for a way or a place to mount these switches. It should be in a place where the wiring to the switches could be protected from weather. I'm thinking under the copilot accessory shelf by the instruments. Maybe I should go and have someone fabricate something of metal like a simple 90 degree and drill holes to mount the switches and then mount the whole thing under the copilot shelf? Then again aluminum would be better so it wouldn't rust? Should be about the same thickness as the copilot shelf so it is nice and sturdy. Then again maybe some square stock with just enough room inside to allow for the switches and wiring with only the ends open .....mounted under the copilot shelf. As you can see I'm just tossing out ideas. How has anyone else mounted toggle switches? While I'm at it, I bought a single pole switch from radio shack just to eyeball the situation and it lights up and says 30 amp on the side of it. I'm guessing this is not the right switch for me? Thanks for any input.
I run the same set up, detector and screamer. Toggle switch to left of GPS, bolted on an RCU Industries shelf with a velcro "carpet" underneath. I can put a small plastic cube also velcro'd over the switch to protect it in weather. There is plenty of room for a second switch--I hung (also velcro) my heated clothes control on the underside. Everything works well. Hope this helps.
Dave

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts