BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be a discrepancy in the RT board and the LT board as to the costs of replacing a FD. I have read here that at a dealership it costs about $400 to replace the FD on the LT and on the RT board, they say $2000. Has anyone in here ever paid a dealership to replace the FD on either RT or LT, and what was the charge? Thanks. I've had no problems, just curious since I have read both dollar amounts.....

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
johnhunter44 said:
There seems to be a discrepancy in the RT board and the LT board as to the costs of replacing a FD. I have read here that at a dealership it costs about $400 to replace the FD on the LT and on the RT board, they say $2000. Has anyone in here ever paid a dealership to replace the FD on either RT or LT, and what was the charge? Thanks. I've had no problems, just curious since I have read both dollar amounts.....
If you can get a FD for $400 and have it installed you better jump on it! I'm guessing that $400 figure may have been a labor quote, but not the FD. $2000 unfortunately is probably closer to what you may end up paying a dealer to replace one. I seem to recall it was around $1500 on my LT several years ago.

John

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
The price is neither $400.00 nor $2,000.00 but somewhere in between.
Not sure if what you read includes labor or not. I would guess on the conservative side and say a couple of shop hours involved in replacing the FD, but I am not sure what the dealer chart says.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Current BMW price for a KLT final drive is $1,448.
Add the labor rate for your local dealer. Somewhere between $1500 and $2K is a reasonable estimate.

I continue to wonder what final drives are in the BMW NA parts supply line. They have clearly been resistant to recalling all bikes to check final drives. It stands to reason that they would also be reluctant to recall all final drives in the parts pipeline and check them. So..... when you buy a BMW factory final drive, you don't know what you are getting. Caveat Emptor.

Your best insurance IMO is to have your current drive rebuilt by someone who knows how and will take the time to do it properly.

You'd have to remove the drive and ship it.

Here are a couple of business' that I believe will do a good job. (I have never done business with either of these folks and don't know what they charge. It just seems to me that they are independent and know their business.)

http://largiader.com/
http://rubberchickenracinggarage.com/

(I will also inspect and rebuild final drives for members of this board. I will add $100 to shipping and parts costs for supporting members at the Standard Member level or higher of this board. I will add $150 to my costs for folks who are not supporting members of this board. This is not a business for me, rather, please think of it as a community public service.)

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
The $400 quote might have come from me
because that's what it cost to have the dealer repair my (2002 LT's) final drive
when the bearing ($80) and consequently the seal ($30) failed
(which is what usually happens)

Why would you replace the entire final drive???

After "the repair" my 02 was trouble free and over the next couple of years
took me and my wife (pulling a loaded trailer) to over 38 states before a damn Elk totaled it.

There's plenty of other things (actually worth) worrying about when you're riding,
worst case scenario the final drive might cause "some inconvenience"

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
I had my FD replaced by a dealer about 5 years ago and the cost was almost $1300.00. Thus far the replaced drive has done well but it is still the main item that concerns me when I think of buying another beemer. Seems that both Honda and Kawasaki can build a better final drive as FD failures from them are rare.

tcars
John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts