BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surfing the web and found what I think is really cool. It's a kit made by Tow-Pac and is called Insta-Trike. You can have either your bike or trike by installing or taking off in just five minutes. They make it for many models including the LT. Check out the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPH-YvHotNk

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
RonHolly said:
I was surfing the web and found what I think is really cool. It's a kit made by Tow-Pac and is called Insta-Trike. You can have either your bike or trike by installing or taking off in just five minutes. They make it for many models including the LT. Check out the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPH-YvHotNk
I had a good friend who put one on his Harley when he got into his 80s and no longer felt comfortable handling the bike. I have to admit that I am not sure I see the point in this. As long as I can handle a bike, I will ride a bike. Once I can no longer handle a bike, I may get a trike. However, I can't think of many situations where I would want to go back and forth between the two.

One thing I can imagine would be if I had an injury that prevented me from riding a bike for a temporary period of time. I can then see this accessory being useful to have a trike temporarily, but not have to do a permanent conversion. However, other than a scenario like this, I don't see much of a purpose for this.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Voyager said:
I had a good friend who put one on his Harley when he got into his 80s and no longer felt comfortable handling the bike. I have to admit that I am not sure I see the point in this. As long as I can handle a bike, I will ride a bike. Once I can no longer handle a bike, I may get a trike. However, I can't think of many situations where I would want to go back and forth between the two.

One thing I can imagine would be if I had an injury that prevented me from riding a bike for a temporary period of time. I can then see this accessory being useful to have a trike temporarily, but not have to do a permanent conversion. However, other than a scenario like this, I don't see much of a purpose for this.
For me now being 65 it seems that it might be pleasurable riding someone with me. I'm a little short and tippy toe at stops. This makes me a little uncomfortable with all the traffic we have here in the Tampa Bay area. A rider would also feel safer not having to worry about the bike falling over. The are other options like Ghost Wheels and the like but this looks the coolest to me and can have it both ways.

·
Registered
696 Posts
My buddy has a Tow-Pac and loves it. He is a smaller statured fellow and had dropped the LT several times. His wife has serious issues with her knees and has a some difficulties boarding the bike. With the Tow-Pac, these issues all go away. They are quite pleased with the system, and it is a quick dis-connect if you so desire.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I got to say it is a pretty neat way of making your bike into a trike.;who knows someday I might look in to it;; not right now; My wife and I are getting closer to the TRIKE :) :) :)

Gary and Mary
03 LT 1200

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
there is also Landingear which keeps the bike vertical feet up at a stop but the bike remains a bike

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Munmi said:
My buddy has a Tow-Pac and loves it. He is a smaller statured fellow and had dropped the LT several times. His wife has serious issues with her knees and has a some difficulties boarding the bike. With the Tow-Pac, these issues all go away. They are quite pleased with the system, and it is a quick dis-connect if you so desire.

Do you think your buddy would share a few pictures with us? Sure would like to see an LT with the Tow-Pac. Please ask him! Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts