BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am a bit behind the times, no I-Pod or even MP3 player. Hard to believe I can function, but, I get by. Just can't justify the $300 for the Apple.

I travel a bit, usually read on the trip, but, occasionally play movies through my laptop.

I just bought a 30GB Zune for $80.00 new and awaiting it's arrival.

Anyone use one or have any input on it? I'll be using it primarily as an MP3 player and some video (I know it has a small screen).

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
For Christmas, I have three Zunes on the list. I'm sick and tired of iPods failing! :mad: And they can shove iTunes as well. Bloatware.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My kids have the Nano and the Touch. Since I am their technical support, I can appreciate your pain.

Of course Microsoft is renowned for their Robust Operating Systems and Easy to Use Software :rotf: The Zune was cheap enough that even if I can only get music out of it, I'll be happy.

You can also buy new batteries and replace them yourself if it goes out. Something like $20.00 for the battery kit.

Joe

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
joegottberg said:
Of course Microsoft is renowned for their Robust Operating Systems and Easy to Use Software :rotf: The Zune was cheap enough that even if I can only get music out of it, I'll be happy.
I don't want ANY s/w (other than Windows Explorer) to transfer mp3s from my library to an mp3 player. Having to use software to do this is just ridiculous. I don't use any s/w to transfer to the 4 phones that we have that also play mp3s. Just copy, paste, and PLAY! ;)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Greetings, Students:
I've had a 32 gb Zune since summer of 2008. Use it every day at work during lunch. I have a couple of movies ripped to it and a whole bunch of mp3s. It's never had any problems. Not 1. I have the hard drive about 50% full and get usually a couple of weeks out of the battery.

I use the Zune software to import music to the device from Windows Media Player. When I rip a music cd, I rip to the desktop hd with Windows media player and then let the Zune software pick it up from there. Works fine. Renaming mp3 files had a steep learning curve, but not brain damaging.

Additionally, the Zune has a bigger screen than the ipod classic and, the Zune has an AM - FM radio good enough for use in urban areas. All in all, I'd do it again. BTW, this Zune was a reman!

Hummin' Along Karl

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I've had mine for a few years. I can work it good through my jacket pocket and I like the FM including the screen size. I've used about half of the 30GB. I can listen to music all day and well into the next day of riding. But I can't go 2 full days without charging it.
Overall, it's a little heavy, has a touchy pad with gloves on:p and seems old technology but $80. is a bargain.:thumb:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I am seriously looking into a Zune HD. I have had dismal luck with Ipod Nano's. My first 2GByte Gen 2 was stolen. My name was LASER ENGRAVED on the unit by Apple. My second was an 8GB Gen 5 that failed when it went swimming in the bay during a minor boating incident 2 years ago. My last one fell out of my pocket into the bay and, of course, it also drowned. There seems to be a recurring theme here.......... BTW, it was a 16GB Gen 5. Very nice little unit. If I put it on my wifes ipod reasdy radio it plays tunes. Just no display or controls are functional. I immediately soaked it in fresh water after retrieving it from the bottom of the boat ramp, then placed it in rice for 2 weeks. No joy. I'm thinking of soaking it in 90+% isopropyl alcohol for a while to see if it might dissolve the salt conductors?

Any other suggestions?

As for now I'm using my BlackBerry 9700 with an 8Gbyte card. Maybe I should just stick with what I have.

My thought is that the Zune HD might be big enough for me to keep better track of.

Loren

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
For Christmas, I have three Zunes on the list. I'm sick and tired of iPods failing! :mad: And they can shove iTunes as well. Bloatware.
Joe where do you get your online music?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Steve, I'm not Joe but......... I buy all the music I can through WalMarts' MP3 download service. No DRM. God I hate Apple! I don't steal music. Ever. But I do listen to it on different sources. Ipod nano (borrowed 2GB from my wife), BlackBerry, MP3 disc player in pickup, etc. It sure is easier to not have to rip MP4 music to MP3 format and stripping the DRM so that you can feel like you really own it. Did I mention I hate Apple?

Loren

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
katnapinn said:
I buy very few "mp3s" online. I'd rather buy the CD (new or used) and rip my own. I currently have over 200 gigs worth of music.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a follow up now that the Zune arrived:

This is where I bought my Zune. All I can say is it arrived when they said and in the condition they advertised.

I've only had it for a day (and also doing work), but, it is GREAT. Pretty intuitive, easy to use.

Had a little trouble upgrading the software to latest version, but it was all good.

I synch with a couple of folders and they suck up the songs, etc.

So far the best $73.00 I've spent lately. YMMV

Joe

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I ordered 3 refurbs yesterday from TigerDirect. Looking forward to having mp3 players not tied to iTunes, and that can sync to each other wirelessly. :cool:

·
Registered
163 Posts
katnapinn said:
I would suggest that you try the Emusic site for MP3 downloads.
The link is below.

Emusic

They have a lot of classic rock available (huge Kinks, Clapton, Hendrix and CCR catalog just to name a few) and their prices are less expensive than ITunes.
As an example, the Layla Sessions compilation cost 40.00 on ITunes.

On Emusic it cost 26.10.

I've been using Emusic for a long time. They just changed their pricing structure because they've added a ton more artists and songs. Their downloads are not proprietary and as mentioned above their prices are a much better deal than ITunes.
Emusic also has a lot of up and coming artists and every style of music you can think of. The catalog is not near as expansive as ITunes though. If you are looking for Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga or current top 40 stuff, you most probably won't find it. It also doesn't offer The Beatles tunes and albums from the original Beatles Apple Records label. It does have a pretty extensive Paul McCartney collection though.

No, I am not affiliated with the service or a share holder. :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts