BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to admit that I do really enjoy the comfort and convenience of my LT, but after riding a GS1200 a few weeks ago and my son's Triumph Tiger 955i it's got me itching!

I did notice a few more vibrations from the engine, but I suppose that comes with the boxer design. I also noticed significantly more buffeting and wind noise....bigger windscreen would certainly be a must if I went this direction!

I like the fact that a dual sport bike gives you more "touring" capabilities and doesn't limit you to strictly paved roads, you can carry significantly more "stuff" internally to the boxes and externally strapped on, and you sit a little bit higher. I rode dirt bikes as a kid and then went to street in college and have enjoyed the LT for the last three years. My wife refuses to ride with me on the bike (so I solo it) and I feel I might be getting an itch for something a little more diverse! Having two bikes is not an option if I want to keep from getting skinned alive!

1. Has anyone gone from the LT to the GS/GSA only? Any regrets?
2. How is it on long distance rides compared to the LT?
3. I like the radio (well I did until it went out) on the LT - now I iPod it and use a Zune or my Scala Rider for radio, so music isn't an issue. That being said, are there options for external radio on the GS/GSA?
4. Ease of maintenance compared to the LT (that takes me 45 minutes just to strip off all the plastic and fuel tank)?

I'm sure I could find tons more to ask, and will search the forum and GS Adventure pages....but I just wanted to see what kind of responses this would conjure up!

Thanks, :wave
Kenny

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Kenny,

I moved from a 2010 RT to the 2011 GSA some seven months ago for similar reasons.
I was running two bikes, the 650GS twin and the RT which, together, were expensive and space invasive.

I'm very happy with the GSA in that as you say, it is a dual sport long distance tourer that is easy and sporty to ride. The GSA has a softer ride than RT.
The GSA is a completely different machine to the GS in handling, weather protection and range.
The Adventure's (has a manual screen adjustment) wind protection is good. I'm able to ride above 150 km/h with my visor open if I'm wearing sunglasses.

On a recent 3,500 km "on-road" tour the GS's were getting around 300 km per tank whereas we could easily manage 500 kilometers plus.
I do use a "Sargent" seat in preference to the stock seat. I find the "Sargent" okay for 8 hours plus per day.

Happy hunting :bmw:
Deon

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
I went from an LT to only having the GS, then I thought that I should get a GT but still that didn't replace the GS so now I am back to the GS as my touring bike. It is just the best bike for doing anything. I put GSA wings and a larger wind screen on, I really don't need the range of the GSA.

My wife and I tour two up on the GS, it has been perfect, unlike most passengers she never really liked the LT, she feels better on the GS, she likes it much better than the GT.

It is not as fast or as smooth as the GT or LT but on a twisty road it flies, and gravel no problem, pull off into the grass anywhere you want. Cruise at 80-85 mph all day out in west Texas, then ride the back roads out in Big Bend. Can't do that on an LT.

Did have to get rid of the stock seat, went with a Sargent.

Now the but, the LT is the most comfortable bike that I have ever owned, the GS is "The Best" bike that I have ever owned and will keep it till the wheels fall off.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm heading that way at least to a GS. I have an LT and 05 650 GS thumper. With the GS in just a few (too short) weeks I'll be heading out on an 18K miles more or less perimeter tour of the US and Canada. I've done a number of 600 mile days with the GS with absolutely no issues. It does very well cruising in the 80s. So if this trip works out well in all likelihood I'll sell the LT. There will be about 2000-2500 miles of dirt between the haul road, dempster, Telegraph Creek, and Yukon 4.

Embedded in the ride I have planned a completion of all the Canadian provinces except Nunavut, USA 4 Corners, UCC, 50CC, B2B, and SS2000 Gold. We'll see how it works out.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I went from an LT to only a GSA. The main reason was that I didn't need all that bike as my wife wasn't riding with me. I think that if you could only have one bike, the GSA would be it. It is sort of like the Swiss Army knife of bikes. Last fall I added a GT to the fleet as my wife and daughter want to start riding again with me. The GSA is not very comfortable for long distance two up travel. However, if it was just me and I could have only one bike, it would be a GSA.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I had an LT and went to a R12GSA only for three months.

I put 5K miles on her (all highway) and decided to go back to the LT

The GSA is a fine ride, but I missed the full fairing, the stereo, the storage and the ride of the LT.

I sold the GSA and the same day got my replacement '09 LT.

I am thinking that since I could not afford TWO $18K bikes, maybe I would look for an older GS or 800GS

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I've just gone the other way swapped a GSA mu both packs for a 2006 full loaded LT, why;

Prior to the GSA I had 2 R1200 RT's over a Period of 5 years an 60000 miles and it took 5 test rides over this time to change.

Although the GSA is a brilliant bike I kept riding it like I stole it - centre stand foot halve worn away, my lady did not appriate this on the odd ocastion she went pillion. I'm a motorcycle instructor in the UK so most of my riding is local, now for the first time in my life I used the GSA on holiday and have so enjoyed it, especiaaly in the crowded south of the UK so much quicker not being held up by some what slower people. Also with all the boxes on getting on the back was a pain.

So I think I'm just a fully faired guy having also owned ST11s and 13s, K75RT and K1100 LT.

Time will tell when I swap next week and yes the bike is big and no more likely to drop it than any other bike (have not cashed or fallen off a road bike for maybe 10years), yes the brakes are sharper than most bike, like all BMW they are an acquired taste taking time to adjust too. If that's not to a riders taste there is always a good range of Honda's .......................... opps sorry went to sleep always do when bored.

Nigel

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the response guys! :wave
My son and I are planning a 6K mile ride from Texas up to Canada (Niagra Falls to Quebec), Nova Scotia, back down through DC to the Dragon's Tail and back home this summer! He's on a Triumph Tiger and I'm on the LT....it should prove to be interesting!

As I stated earlier, I do like the comfort and spaciousness of Belle, but the route options a GS/GSA gives you opens up many new doors to travel!

Keeping options and my mind open for now....just wanted to get y'all's insights!
:bmw:
Thanks!
Kenny

·
Registered
88 Posts
BlauBeeMr said:
Thanks for the response guys! :wave
My son and I are planning a 6K mile ride from Texas up to Canada (Niagra Falls to Quebec), Nova Scotia, back down through DC to the Dragon's Tail and back home this summer! He's on a Triumph Tiger and I'm on the LT....it should prove to be interesting!

As I stated earlier, I do like the comfort and spaciousness of Belle, but the route options a GS/GSA gives you opens up many new doors to travel!

Keeping options and my mind open for now....just wanted to get y'all's insights!
:bmw:
Thanks!
Kenny
Is it possible ot rent a GS/GSA for the occassional "off pavement" touring? Maybe this is the key and you still keep the LT for the every day use.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Honestly.....I hadn't thought of that! Great idea!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Kenny, Kenny, Kenny..... WHY on earth would you get rid of the LT? Is has a new rear main seal AND clutch! :D

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gents....
Please forgive me for my digression! :bowdown:

I must admit, I did venture over to the dealer today and asked about the GSA, looked at the 30th anniversary edition GS12, and two other GS12s....drooled over the K1600s (two GTLs and one GT) and stroked the RT sitting all by itself....and.....

....then it hit me......

I got masulf un LT.....all paid for and I know how to maintain it!

I think a GSA would be awesome and give me more "touring" options, but my LT is perfectly fine and gets me to where I need to go with tons of cargo room and comfort! Some day in my future a GSA might have my name on it....just not now.

Just gotta fix the radio and she'll be as good as new!

Brian and Nigel....thanks for the shot of focus! :thumb:

Kenny

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello to the group from a new member...I'm considering going the other way...a 1150GS to an LT.
I have had the GS for about 3.5 years now and put 40k mi on it...very rarely had it off the tarmac though as I use it mostly for work commuting (130mi/day). I have been thinking about what kind of riding do I enjoy doing...

Highway = yep...with the Sat Radio going or the ipod
Trail = nope...too much hassle and never really learned how, a couple trips to the ER confirmed this...too much grey hair to be picking up a heavy dual sport
Backroad twisties = yep but not overly so...too paranoid about road surface and logging trucks around the blind corners ahead
Two up = yep...wife and I try to take a weekend trip each year to the coast (Monterey or Mendocino) (the load capacity of the GS is remarkable, even a full set of golf clubs fits)
Dirt road exploring = yep...when I have time, only done this twice for a few hours since getting it...need to take a big bike class to gain skill level and confidence

I went to the International rally last year up in Redmond to find my next bike and rode it home...the same one :confused:
Always thought a big cruiser, with a degree of performance, would be neat, though I find it difficult to get excited about the cockpit.
Like an earlier poster perhaps the best thing is to rent one and see how it goes...
Thanks for letting me blather on...

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Ask 10 people on this site and you will get 10 opinions. I have had a GSA for 6 years and have now added a 1600 to the stable. Previously I owned an LT. All of them are great bikes that you can put tons of miles on in complete bliss. I know I have. The GSA is what I ride solo and on gravel. The GT is my choice for two up or just plan go fast sport touring.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts