BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to buy a new Garmin receiver for my wife's car. I am looking at the Nuvi series because of its form factor: it needs to be fairly small and flat as it is going to be mounted near the seat console. The C-series is too bulky.

However, I also need to be able to plug in an external antenna, as it is not going to be able to have direct view of the sky.

Does anyone here know if the Nuvi units have an antenna input? If not all, which models?

And, yes, I do know that other model series have antenna ports (I actually do own i-series and C-series StreetPilots as well as a Quest and a 2730) - but I would prefer the flat shape of the Nuvi.

Anyone? TIA, Robert.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got it.

For those who care: combing through Garmin's page for accessory antennas, I found the list of compatible devices.

So, for those who care: apparently, all x50 and up versions of Nuvi series 3,6 and 7 can accept external antenna.

I.e., Nuvi 350 and up, 650 and up and 750 and up.

Thanks, all.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have the Nuvi 360, and I shuttle it back and forth from my bike to my car. In the car, I use the suction cup mount for the windshield. On the bike, I have an external power cord with voltage reducer built in and wired direct to the battery. I use the mp3 with earbuds on the bike.
Enjoy, if you buy one.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Nuvi

I use the 350 Nuvi in my car and on my bike. In the car I mount it on the floor console and it recieves a signal just fine. I just slip a ziplock back over it if it starts to rain when on the bike. I would try it with the built in antenna first. I have it wired through my intercom into my helmet, works great.

Good Luck
Rodger

·
Registered
50 Posts
My NUVI 350 works just fine without an external antenna. I use it primarily in my Toyota in the cubby hole just below the radio and never had a problem getting a GPS signal.

I have even used it on a commercial flight across the country. It got a signal in the jet just fine . I kept the 625 MPH top speed on NUVI for awhile and told people I did on the LT. :dance:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts