BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a post about the MotoFX unit and it wasn't good. So, I thought they give you those little 3 button jobbers with the door, wonder if there's any way to wire it in and maybe put it under the headlight or somewhere in the front wrapped in plastic with silica or.... :sleep: ...whatever.
Anyone ever tried this?
Thanks for any help.
Ed

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
edonthenet said:
I read a post about the MotoFX unit and it wasn't good. So, I thought they give you those little 3 button jobbers with the door, wonder if there's any way to wire it in and maybe put it under the headlight or somewhere in the front wrapped in plastic with silica or.... :sleep: ...whatever.
Anyone ever tried this?
Thanks for any help.
Ed
A search on "garage remote" in the archive forum turned up this thread:
http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=K1200LT&Number=306191&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=garage%20remote&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=95&Old=allposts&Main=306100

and this pic of the same unit:
http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/downloadattachments.php?attach_id=10462?Cat=

I did exactly what you are thinking of -- tapping a spare three-button remote.

HTH,

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
I have the in-dash M6000 unit as in one of Roy's links and use it every day. From my picture you can see that I have it attached to the side of the control panel. I did not connect the small LED light (just taped it underneath). I have had it for five years with very little trouble. I have to change the battery every couple of years (sometimes there is moisture in it) and have to really watch those BMW mechanics. They just pull the cover off without looking. I will usually disconnect it before taking it to BMW.

Attachments

·
Registered
704 Posts
My garage door opener came with several remotes. I use the 1"X1" remote which I simply velcro'd inside the oddments box. This arrangement works well and keeps the remote safe and dry. Cost nothing !

·
Registered
350 Posts
edonthenet said:
Anyone ever tried this?
Thanks for any help.
Ed
It's really a very simple thing to do. Open the remote and find the microswitch under the button that activates the garage door opener. Turn the circuit board over and solder two wires to the pins protruding through the board. Drill a hole big enough for the wires and feed them outside of the controller. Go to Radio Shack and purchase a submini momentarily on push button switch. Solder the two wires to the switch and mount it where it's convenient. I wrapped mine with blacktape - to increase it's size - and placed it in the mirror hole on the right handlebar control. I then ran the wires inside the right handlebar cover down under the fairing. I placed the remote control in a small plastic bag a wrapped it with blacktape and cable tied it under the fairing behind the headlight. Connect the wires coming out of the remote to the wires coming from the switch and your done.
I like having the switch on the handlebar. I can drive up to my garage and hit the button without removing my hands from the controls.

Bruce Hodges
Kansas City

·
Registered
432 Posts
I connected mine to a relay that is driven by a momentary switch in the Phoenix switch housing. It only gets power when the key is on. That way, if the bike is parked in the driveway, the door can't be opened. Makes it convenient to open the door as I'm pulling into the driveway. The remote lives under the passenger seat, in a small baggie, to keep it dry.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I mounted a laser on my helmet. When I aim it at my garage door I just cut an opening in it the size of my bike. I guess it's time for a new garage door...again.

It is fun zapping squirrels as I rid though.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Garage Door Opener

I asked my dealer to wire an old garage door opener to a button on the faring. The button came from Radio Shack and doesn't stand up very well. The Garage Door opener has had no problems. Whenever I take the bike in for service involving removing the tupperware I leave a 9 volt battery with the dealer and they change it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Wired one into the left turn signal of one of my Harleys

I did this just for fun and it actuall worked quite well. You just hit the turn signal and the door opens. Don't know if the LT electrics are different but I'd guess it would work the same, both the garage door opener and the signal switch are activated with a momentary "close".

Dave

·
Registered
412 Posts
I did the same thing as Bruce. I bought an extra single button remote, removed the circuit board and soldered wires onto the micro switch. I found a small black plastic box at Fry's Electronics that perfectly fit the dimensions of the circuit board. I drilled a small hole in the side of the box for the wires, then ran the wires to a Phoenix Switch (add-on). The second Phoenix Switch runs my Aux Lighting. Put some silicone around the box and protruding wires, add some velcro and stick it behind the dash somewhere. Done! Works like a champ!

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
Or you could wire it to the turn signal cancel switch. Same idea.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts