BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My riding season is a good month to a month in half away, but for the first two months or so it is really cold when I leave for work (around 5 am). Its a lot better when I go home at 3 pm, but the mornings are chilly. I have about a 45 min to 1 hr commute which makes putting all the gear on worth the time so I pretty much only ride my mc from mid March thru October. I have clothes for the cold mornings, but my helmet fogs up something fierce.

So Im at one of the local bike/atv/snowmobile/watercraft/ etc... stores and I start looking at the snowmobile helmets. The parts guy tells me they pretty much dont fog because of the face shield and the breath guard. He also tells me the HJC helmet is exactly the same for snow and street they just provide a different shield and breath guard.

Anyone ever tried using a snow helmet in the colder weather?

Just curious before I spend any $$

Tom

·
Registered
233 Posts
Parts Unlimited carries a lot of replacement shields.See if they have a snow one for your helmet.Also,the Z1R helmet with a heated shield is a decent helmet for not much money.
I have a friend who swears by wearing a bandanna on his lower face to keep his breath off the shield in cooler temps.

·
Registered
233 Posts
One other thing.My snow shields are stamped not for road use.I believe because they are not dot approved.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I use my ARAI Sz-m on the sno-mobile in colder weather .... Does that count ?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I did use an HJC helmet that I bought as a snowmobile helmet while riding my motorcycle, but I changed the shield first.
Many "snowmobile helmets" are the same as motorcycle helmets and are DOT approved, but shields for snowmobiling are not DOT approved... At least I've never seen one.
Snowmobile shields are double walled to provide insulation between the inside wall and the outside to help cut down on fogging, but the plastic used is very thin and I wouldn't trust it to stop a stone kicked up at highway speed.
They also make heated shield for snowmobiling that work best to prevent fogging, but again, not DOT approved.

·
Registered
176 Posts
There's also a number of products like this available, and you'll fit right in at the Star Wars conventions!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Josmas said:
There's also a number of products like this available, and you'll fit right in at the Star Wars conventions!
I think it would be rather stylish, for an elephant seal. :rotf:

It probably works better than a lot of other marginal solutions.

:think: I think a snorkel would work even better, especially here in Seattle. The performance crowd could have a dual pipe model. They stylish contingent could have them color matched to their bike or helmet. Of course the cruiser crowd would have the chrome option. The squids could have the low drag model that is aerodynamically formed into their helmet. The dual sport and adventure groups could have an off-road model. You know the ones. They are curved 180 degrees at the top and have a little cage with a floating ball for a valve. That would help keep the water out during those really deep river crossings or just on rainy days here in Seattle. :histerica

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I never thought of the impact resistance of the shield...snowmobiles go over 100mph, I would imagine their is some impact resistance to snowmobile shields it may be a simple matter of not wanting to go through the DOT testing and/or product liability concerns, not sure...

Tom

·
Registered
156 Posts
I use a Fogcity inner shield and it works great here on the coast. Creates a double walled shield.

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
StillJustJerry said:
I use a Fogcity inner shield and it works great here on the coast. Creates a double walled shield.
+1 on the Fog City insert. When we lived in Wales, I would run one all winter long. Here's a review.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts