BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on my last trip, I got to wondering about rebuilding the dash panel on the LT. Forgive my ameturish attempt as photoshopping, but this is the idea. There are all sorts of gauges availible, and I would assume many could be made to work on the LT, such as these rectangular digital speedo and tach.
Anyone ever consider, or even try this?
Maybe I just have way too much time on my hands!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
fpmlt said:
While on my last trip, I got to wondering about rebuilding the dash panel on the LT. Forgive my ameturish attempt as photoshopping, but this is the idea. There are all sorts of gauges availible, and I would assume many could be made to work on the LT, such as these rectangular digital speedo and tach.

I will take one :)

·
Premium Member
7,646 Posts
fpmlt said:
Yes, since I am also a pilot and am intrigued by the new glass panel airplanes, the idea of a glass panel on a bike like the LT is intriguing. However, I then think about the people I know who have Cirrus glass panel airplanes and have occasional failures where everything goes dark or parts other "bump in the night" problems occur and I decide I don't want all of my eggs in one basket ... even a very nice basket! :)

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I'm sorry Todd, but as I do not see your gun control consul, I'm not sure I can take you all that seriously :D

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
It's been a year or two ago, but Ari rebuilt the entire front of his cockpit, expanding/enlarging it to include... I don't know what. I just recall seeing some photos. I'm sure he'll chime in here. This is one of his favorite topics.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
hschisler said:
It's been a year or two ago, but Ari rebuilt the entire front of his cockpit, expanding/enlarging it to include... I don't know what. I just recall seeing some photos. I'm sure he'll chime in here. This is one of his favorite topics.
No need to wait for Ari, he is the Farkle God..........new Dash below
http://picasaweb.google.com/pozoizquierdo/RESHAPINGTHEDASHAGAIN#

The whole album of Farkles

http://picasaweb.google.com/pozoizquierdo

you will need a day to take it all in, the guy is mad as a bag of spanners, and I mean this in the nicest possible way. I'd love to live within a couple of hundren miles of this guy, coz I'd have the same or similar farkles.

·
Registered
70 Posts
fpmlt said:
Well I'm sorry Todd, but as I do not see your gun control consul, I'm not sure I can take you all that seriously :D
I had that request submitted, but with the economy the way it is...... :D

·
Registered
313 Posts
Voyager said:
Yes, since I am also a pilot and am intrigued by the new glass panel airplanes, the idea of a glass panel on a bike like the LT is intriguing. However, I then think about the people I know who have Cirrus glass panel airplanes and have occasional failures where everything goes dark or parts other "bump in the night" problems occur and I decide I don't want all of my eggs in one basket ... even a very nice basket! :)
On all "real" glass planes there are a small set of standby instruments just in case the system does poop the bed. For these, you could leave a set of standby speedo and tach on the dash and have the LCD screen cover them. Then, in case of a total display failure, or at least the real important parts, you could remove the LCD display from the dash, hopefully with just two or three well placed screws, and resort back to your backup instruments.

'Course, you could also wait until the spring and get the 1600 GTL with the fancy dashboard already included. But I do like the way you think!

·
Premium Member
7,646 Posts
pushin9s said:
On all "real" glass planes there are a small set of standby instruments just in case the system does poop the bed. For these, you could leave a set of standby speedo and tach on the dash and have the LCD screen cover them. Then, in case of a total display failure, or at least the real important parts, you could remove the LCD display from the dash, hopefully with just two or three well placed screws, and resort back to your backup instruments.

'Course, you could also wait until the spring and get the 1600 GTL with the fancy dashboard already included. But I do like the way you think!
Yes, but partial panel in the soup flying a night approach to minimums is no fun at all! However, on a motorcycle the consequences of failure are simple inconvenience and not life threatening as can be the case in an airplane.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I don't want to take my eyes that far off the road to see the GPS. That's also the reason I don't like the placement of the GPS by BMW on the late model LTs. Except of the tach, I have heading, speed and time to next turn just a the bottom of my eyesight with the Garmin 478 sitting on a BMR shelf.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts