BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: I had intermittent problems selecting gears then lost drive altogether. Drained the Transmission oil and found metal fragments. I have now pulled the old gearbox out and discovered:

Gearbox input shaft is loose – bearing is probably munched.
There was a lot of oil and shredded friction material in the clutch housing.
When I removed the clutch plate there was no friction material on one side.
The middle of the diaphragm spring was loose and had obviously shifted.
In the shredded friction material I found some bits of metal.
The metal surfaces in the clutch mechanism appears smooth with no visible scoring and no blueing or heat marks.

I spoke to a technical person in the Zachs UK distributors. While he was not aware of the particular clutch plate and did not deal with bikes he said that if a clutch plate has been shredded it is normally the result of excessive heat.

So my Questions are:

I have a new gearbox, clutch and spring – should I just put it back together with them and hope the problems relate to the faulty gearbox creating excessive wobble and heat on the clutch plate?

Does anyone have any other theories / experience and be able to point what might have happened and what would be the best course of action from here.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I'm long on experience and short on theories :D

At about 81k I had my third slave cylinder soak my clutch plates. Took it to Touring Sports in Greenville SC to have clutch replaced and when they pulled the tranny the input shaft was flopping in the breeze, they were shocked that I had been able to shift and yet I had experienced no difficulties in shifting, only the clutch slippage. Replaced the tranny and clutch and have put another 47k on it with no further problems.

YMMV

1 - 2 of 2 Posts