BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty sure I'm out of my warranty even though I bought a very low mileage bike for the year (06' with 6300) but honest truth, I haven't checked yet. I'm going to be pulling all of the body panels off soon to install my Autocom and figured if I can tackle the fuel strip at the same time, it might be worth it. In the mean time I've been tracking my mileage and filling up at the appropriate time. Anyone done this repair in their garage?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ended up finding this on another message board. It's pretty basic but at least outlines the procedures. Another post on the same thread made an interesting point. If you're no longer under warranty it may be best to just pay for the dealer to do it and then it will be covered under the 2 year parts and labor warranty, in which time it will most certainly fail again. :rolleyes:

1) Drain and remove fuel tank.
2) Remove fuel pump unit from tank.
3) Lift filler neck, disengage fuel sensor and lift it out of tank.
4) Because new sensor has to be calibrated DRY, connect sensor to fuel pump while pump is removed from tank.
5) Reconnect fuel pump to bike electrics while the pump is still removed from the tank.
6) NOTE: Battery must be fully charged and bike connected to charger while calibrating. Procedure will abort or misfire if voltage drops below 12.6 V
7) Start BMW diagnostic system, initiate CIP program, and follow its instructions to calibrate. Disconnect diagnostic system, then charger when done.
8) Install fuel level sensor in tank. Reassemble everything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts