BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1600cc, 96 lbs of torque at 2000 rpm. Sure looks more than suitable for the next LT engine. Tons of torque. At these specs it would not matter if they lightened the bike up, or not. I am hoping to retire in about a year and a half and this would make an awesome retirement gift to myself. Now... if they can only match a final drive to that.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
"The new BMW straight-six will further expand the K-Series in the foreseeable future. The first model to be introduced will be an innovative and luxurious BMW touring machine. Reflecting the tradition of the BMW K-Series, this will of course be a genuine top-of-the-line product."

That says K1600LT to me!

"......the typical sound of a straight-six almost like a turbine is absolutely incomparable
"

mmmmm - nice

"The engine's power and performance characteristics are equally impressive, offering 130 Nm or 96 lb-ft of torque from just 2,000 rpm and at the same time revving up almost to 9,000 rpm - a dynamic potential quite unparalleled in the tourer segment"

I know many of the USA riders don't see the K12 as slow - but on the Autobahn it is not as fast as it needs to be sometimes - this new power should do the trick.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
" the GL1800 generates 101 horsepower and 106 lb-ft of torque at the rear wheel (according to the Jett Tuning Dynojet dyno). Torque climbs above 90 lb-ft at 2,100 rpm and exceeds 100 lb-ft at 3,200 rpm" - Rider Magazine

K1600LT lookin' good then

·
Registered
263 Posts
The fact that the new engine promises not just more torque, but produces it so early in the rev range, would be VERY Wing-like.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Whatever BMW does with the LT Honda will try to trump it shortly. It had better be very good-not just different.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
A return to legendary BMW durability would be a nice start.

·
Registered
453 Posts
ATFLT said:
Whatever BMW does with the LT Honda will try to trump it shortly. It had better be very good-not just different.
I agree. Six months of being the best and then sitting on your hands for the next 10 years did not work with the LT and will not work with the new design.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
rkimmel2 said:
I agree. Six months of being the best and then sitting on your hands for the next 10 years did not work with the LT and will not work with the new design.
Well, that depends on how you define best and what you think BMW's objective with the LT should be. If the objective is to out Wing the Wing, then I agree with you. However, if I wanted a Wing I would just buy one. Why do we need two companies making the same machine?

I like the LT because it is not a Wing. BMW took the road less traveled (apologies to Mr. Frost) and that is generally my philosophy also. I like the LT because it looks like it is an integrated, holistic design, not a piece meal evolution as does the Wing and most other touring and touring cruiser bikes. I like the efficiency of the smaller engine that has more than adequate power, yet much better fuel efficiency than the bloated Wing. I like the brakes and the far better suspension, particularly the intrinsic anti-dive geometry vs. the "add on" anti-dive kludge on the Wing.

If BMW makes the new LT to be like the Wing, I will probably have to buy a Moto Guzzi! :)

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Voyager said:
Well, that depends on how you define best and what you think BMW's objective with the LT should be. If the objective is to out Wing the Wing, then I agree with you. However, if I wanted a Wing I would just buy one. Why do we need two companies making the same machine?

I like the LT because it is not a Wing. BMW took the road less traveled (apologies to Mr. Frost) and that is generally my philosophy also. I like the LT because it looks like it is an integrated, holistic design, not a piece meal evolution as does the Wing and most other touring and touring cruiser bikes. I like the efficiency of the smaller engine that has more than adequate power, yet much better fuel efficiency than the bloated Wing. I like the brakes and the far better suspension, particularly the intrinsic anti-dive geometry vs. the "add on" anti-dive kludge on the Wing.

If BMW makes the new LT to be like the Wing, I will probably have to buy a Moto Guzzi! :)
Well said Sir!!! I always tell people the LT still feels like a motorcycle, had owned a Goldwing, 2 in fact, I like the LT for the reasons above.............Also to me the Goldwing felt like a Honda Civic convertible, no ding on the machine, just how I see/felt it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts